Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 07:22 AM

4,567 posts, read 3,767,298 times

Advertisements

NCDHHS is actually launching a campaign to educate people about mosquito and tick-borne illnesses. It's a problem. I say blast all the mosquitos, ticks and whatever else you can. Fog them.

NCDHHS launches 'Fight the Bite' campaign to help you avoid tick, mosquito-borne diseases
https://abc11.com/2024-tick-season-n...ases/14612958/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 12:39 PM

1,588 posts, read 1,132,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniakea2MASS View Post
I'm already seeing dead large mosquitos all around the outside perimeter of the house! We'll see if this helps with the small ones though.
This is the problem I have... people don't even know what they are killing.

Those aren't big mosquitos. Those are called Crane flies. Not even in the same family as mosquitos. Crane flies only live for 2 weeks, do not bite or sting, don't transmit any diseases, and feed on decaying organic matter.

Old 04-04-2024, 03:30 PM

334 posts, read 189,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
This is the problem I have... people don't even know what they are killing.

Those aren't big mosquitos. Those are called Crane flies. Not even in the same family as mosquitos. Crane flies only live for 2 weeks, do not bite or sting, don't transmit any diseases, and feed on decaying organic matter.
Oh well, they're not missing out much then.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:59 PM

77 posts, read 32,503 times
Crane flies, interesting. I looked them up and read all about them.

As much as I appreciate the diversity of life on Earth, there’s just too many insects, and some of them gotta go. If mosquito fogging can kill some gnats and other flying stuff, I’m okay. But I am surprised on how fast that fogging is working.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:30 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
Could be worse. You might find live mosquitos running from your neighbors on your deck.
Could be even worse that that. All the bees could die and none of us would have any food.

But yeah, those mosquitos...... (Honestly, I hate them too, but I go with something a bit more local, like some bug spray on me, or maybe a citronella candle or three, as well as planting some merigolds, rosemary, and whatnot...)

Old 04-08-2024, 07:20 AM

16 posts, read 18,176 times
Or you can spray garlic. There are some companies around here that offer it as an alternative. Mosquitos hate the smell and it's otherwise harmless. It's not perfect, but a big improvement. I'm pro garlic.

I'm still anti-spray, but I also acknowledge that the spray industry is built around fear and appeals to the base "protect my family" instinct. We're not in the swamps of Florida. There is no Dengue around here. No one here is dying of Malaria. a But I also know that nothing I say will persuade those that feel strongly otherwise.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:47 PM

334 posts, read 189,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Could be even worse that that. All the bees could die and none of us would have any food.
Not buying it. I'm miles from farms and orchards. Much further than bees can fly. Having an indirect effect on city bees isn't going to affect my NY strip.

But if it does, there's always Soylent Green

Old 04-09-2024, 04:49 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,459,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

But yeah, those mosquitos...... (Honestly, I hate them too, but I go with something a bit more local, like some bug spray on me, or maybe a citronella candle or three, as well as planting some merigolds, rosemary, and whatnot...)
I'm not talking about killing all the bees. I'm not talking about the trucks that used to drive around growing up fogging the entire city. I'm not talking about the helicopter that dropped a massive urinal cake of skeeter-killer into the local vector reservoir. I'm talking about certain targeted spraying. I have plenty of bees anytime I let the lawn clover get long enough, they pop out. I haven't sprayed in a couple of years; anymore I use a thermacell which mostly works. Those candles seem to do nothing. I think I could squat over it and get eaten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentop View Post
Or you can spray garlic. There are some companies around here that offer it as an alternative. Mosquitos hate the smell and it's otherwise harmless. It's not perfect, but a big improvement. I'm pro garlic.

I'm still anti-spray, but I also acknowledge that the spray industry is built around fear and appeals to the base "protect my family" instinct. We're not in the swamps of Florida. There is no Dengue around here. No one here is dying of Malaria. a But I also know that nothing I say will persuade those that feel strongly otherwise.
It's not that deep. It's as simple as being able to be outside comfortably.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:28 AM

183 posts, read 97,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Not unusual for me to be outside for hours at a time. When I'm out there that long, during the season I spray on some natural bug spray.

I keep the close perimeter of our property dry. I find that pine straw stays wet for too long. Where water sits (drain catch basin, etc.) I put in mosquito dunks. Our gutters are new, properly slopped and clean. Etc.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:44 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I am not trying to be difficult or argumentative, but I think it IS bigger than that.

It's like littering: "I just don't want to be bothered, what's the problem with throwing one small piece of paper on the ground?"

In both cases, someone's comfort, in isolation, will not make a huge impact on the world, but if everyone has the same mindset, 8 Billion on earth, or 1 Million-ish in the triangle area, and they all want to spray their entire yard for "comfort", then yeah, it really does impact things, just like if every person only threw one piece of trash out their window each day. It adds up.

I'm not here to tell anyone else what to do, but I think it is fair to at least expect people to correctly understand the impact of their actions. Spraying chemicals all over the place is likely why our lake waters are so polluted that you and your pets can't safely swim in them. It definitely impacts all sorts of food chains, including our own. Do what you're going to do, and so will I, but if you truly believe that your comfort, along with the comfort of everyone else has zero impact, then that would be innacurate.

Just saying. (Put the spray on yourself, as another has suggested, it will protect you, and impact everything else less.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary