Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 05:50 PM

5,600 posts, read 5,062,574 times

Advertisements

I hear lots of skip on CB frequencies coming in on the scanner. Locally I don't hear a thing at night but then again I am in a cove and surrounded by mountains. If I got a new CB transceiver I would go with the President CB/SSB radios as they seem to have the best reputation at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 04:13 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,090,172 times
Got three or four of them because remember.....you are only a cell tower away from being without communications.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Got three or four of them because remember.....you are only a cell tower away from being without communications.
Yes so very true and unfortunate we must rely on these towers that authorities can shut down and control for emergencies. I still prefer the old landlines of the 70's as there were no reception problems and clarity problems. No drop calls and you could hear the conversation very clearly. Of course nowadays with cellphones you have too many rude people always on the phone so this has caused other problems like public safety at risk when these people talk on their phones and text on them.

Which base station antenna and mobile antenna is the most preferred these days?

Old 10-25-2022, 06:30 AM

4,167 posts, read 3,093,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Yes so very true and unfortunate we must rely on these towers that authorities can shut down and control for emergencies. I still prefer the old landlines of the 70's as there were no reception problems and clarity problems. No drop calls and you could hear the conversation very clearly. Of course nowadays with cellphones you have too many rude people always on the phone so this has caused other problems like public safety at risk when these people talk on their phones and text on them.

Which base station antenna and mobile antenna is the most preferred these days?

Yes, good landlines have better clarity. I worked for 2 different employers that went from landline phones to internet phones. There was a drop in clarity.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Yes, good landlines have better clarity. I worked for 2 different employers that went from landline phones to internet phones. There was a drop in clarity.
yES and if the power is cut off the phone won't work.

Old 10-26-2022, 06:06 AM

4,167 posts, read 3,093,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
yES and if the power is cut off the phone won't work.

They also don't work when the internet connection is down, which I experienced on more than one occasion. I thought the lack of incoming phone calls was a blessing, but was too cautious to say that out loud.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
They also don't work when the internet connection is down, which I experienced on more than one occasion. I thought the lack of incoming phone calls was a blessing, but was too cautious to say that out loud.
As far as receiving phone calls about 99% of the calls I get are all SPAM calls and this is on the phone that is hooked into internet package.

OnCell phone I receive less SPAM calls but lots of SPAM e-mail and SPAM texts. Seems to be anything connected to this internet is open to SPAM and scams..

Old 10-31-2022, 06:36 AM

555 posts, read 1,075,296 times
My family was big into CB radio back in the 70's. My dad first bought a cheap Midland radio for the car, then we moved to base stations. Everyone in the house used it, except for my mom, she was irritated by it. It was our main form of entertainment, and during the summer when school was out, we would sometimes try to stay awake all night talking on the CB.

About 14 years ago we were taking a long road trip to Disney World, and I bought a radio for my vehicle for the trip. I was shocked how different things were. There was not as much chatter, a lot of cussing going on, and even people advertising adult videos for sale near truck stops. In its hey dey you would have never heard that kind of stuff over the air.

Old 10-31-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
My family was big into CB radio back in the 70's. My dad first bought a cheap Midland radio for the car, then we moved to base stations. Everyone in the house used it, except for my mom, she was irritated by it. It was our main form of entertainment, and during the summer when school was out, we would sometimes try to stay awake all night talking on the CB.

About 14 years ago we were taking a long road trip to Disney World, and I bought a radio for my vehicle for the trip. I was shocked how different things were. There was not as much chatter, a lot of cussing going on, and even people advertising adult videos for sale near truck stops. In its hey dey you would have never heard that kind of stuff over the air.
I can't imagine how CB communications are today locally. Everytime I hear in the daytime skip and it's just all mumbo jumbo talk which makes no sense at all. Speaking English but makes no sense. Makes me wonder if it's worth the $$$$ even buying a CB radio and antenna to find out?

Old 11-08-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42120 View Post
CB radio being analogue is the most reliable means of communication today!!

Any analogue radio is.... Even HAM radio!
Isn't some of HAM radio gone digital?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio