Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 09:52 PM

583 posts, read 575,896 times

Advertisements

Mississippi is the safest state in the nation for black citizens, (among states with more than 3% black population which is around 10 states such as Vermont and Montana etc), as measured by the murder victimhood rates by state.

I think the reason that black residents are safer in Mississippi is because at least half of black residents live in rural areas, where it's much easier to solve crimes and thus deter future crimes. By comparison there are many states (e.g. Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Michigan) where nearly all black residents live in cities, which often have extremely high rates of violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 07:53 PM

1,914 posts, read 875,479 times
cost of living is so cheap

Old 05-03-2024, 08:51 PM

1,074 posts, read 599,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
As poor as it is, Mississippi has impressively low crime rate. This fact is eclipsed by the fact that Jackson is the most dangerous city in the country. Usually crime rate is high where income is low, but Mississippi is actually a safer state even though the income is at bottom nationwide. Mississippi has lower crime rate than EVERY state it boarders.
There's good reasons for that. Everyone in the state and their dog owns a gun. In my hometown of Gulfport, which is on the coast and one of the more liberal areas of the state, you would often see signs in people's fields that said "Trespassers Will Be Shot and Prosecuted".

So if the gun don't kill you, they're dragging you to court. People are fierce about defending their property. If your landlord wants to evict you, they can't come into your place unless they're invited in. They have to get a constable to enter the dwelling to leave a written eviction notice while they wait outside. Usually, if you don't know someone, you wait outside the porch until you're invited up there. If you're invited onto the porch you're welcome in the house.

Here in Arkansas, its the exact opposite. A landlord can enter their rental anytime of the day or night w/ no notice whatsoever, something that would 100% get them shot in Mississippi and most other states. I didn't know about this or I would never have moved here. So I'm moving to South Carolina.

Old Today, 08:08 PM

94,015 posts, read 124,842,769 times
I just hope things are improving in Holmes County, which is where my father is from. I see that they consolidated their high schools to become Holmes County Central HS, as he attended what was Tchula Attendance Center when he left and became S.V. Marshall HS(S.V. Marshall was a principal when my father was growing up there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi