Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 05:01 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,336,502 times

Advertisements

To more directly answer the OP, perhaps show them how to receive texts then - if you have kids - sent them a photo each day of the little ones. Most grandparents would not be able to resist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 05:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
From another of the OP's threads:

Quote:
Currently I call them every now and then to see how they are doing. But of course it would be nice to sometimes just sent them a WhatsApp... if they would respond (i.e. use their phones a little more often). My parents are 69 and 71.
They probably just don't want to use WhatsApp or any other app designed for teenagers. Stop trying to push your preferences on them and be glad they answer when you call.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert42 View Post
My parents are still a little anti-tech and don't really want to have too much to do with it. But if they would become a little more tech-savvy it would make organisation much easier for the rest of the family. Any tips or stories on that?
This should probably be merged with https://www.city-data.com/forum/care...l#post66382120

The answer is... Maybe they don't want to. Leave them alone. Not everyone is addicted to phones the way young people are now, and some of us prefer it that way. If it's less "convenient" for you, deal with it.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
They probably just don't want to use WhatsApp or any other app designed for teenagers. Stop trying to push your preferences on them and be glad they answer when you call.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I watch TV with the closed captioning on and the other day I watched an old B&W show in which one of the characters was dialing a rotary phone. Apparently the person who did the close captioning was so unfamiliar with rotary phones the captioning read "Sound of phone buttons being pushed"!
That's pretty funny!

Apparently someone else is having the same struggle as our OP:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gran...r-seniors.html

Old 02-03-2024, 06:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert42 View Post
My parents are still a little anti-tech and don't really want to have too much to do with it. But if they would become a little more tech-savvy it would make organisation much easier for the rest of the family. Any tips or stories on that?
So I'm pretty tech-savvy, and I'm not as old as your parents, but WhatsApp is just stupid and annoying.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:07 PM

7,677 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's pretty funny!

Apparently someone else is having the same struggle as our OP:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gran...r-seniors.html
Not someone else. Both threads were started by the same person. In fact a third thread on the same subject was also started by him. All three threads were started within the space of thirteen minutes yesterday. He hasn’t posted since.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:04 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
If one of them falls, why wouldn’t the other one be able to call for help on a landline? If the person who falls is alone, that means the spouse is out somewhere and is the more likely one to have the cell phone they share. Don’t forget, we are talking about two people, and only one cell phone.

Besides, the reason for getting the cellphone has been stated as being so that the OP can reach the parents when the OP wants.

Pre cellphones, if I phoned someone I always chose a time when I thought they might not be busy and had time to talk. It was simple courtesy.
If they are always together, that works. In our case my husbands hip dislocated in his workshop once, and also at home when I was at the store.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:11 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Not someone else. Both threads were started by the same person. In fact a third thread on the same subject was also started by him. All three threads were started within the space of thirteen minutes yesterday. He hasn’t posted since.
I thinks he’s gotten the point that he’s not getting the answers he’s wanting. He wants to be told how to drag his grandparents into his generation instead of learning to deal with theirs.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:12 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So I'm pretty tech-savvy, and I'm not as old as your parents, but WhatsApp is just stupid and annoying.
I’ve never ever seen it. Thank you for letting me know not to bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents