Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 12:56 PM

88,917 posts, read 85,433,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I have a friend who's 3 or 4 years younger than I am. She's a tech-phobic senior -- I'm not.
I have a brother eight years younger than I am--57--who won't use any kind of tech. Not yet even a senior. He paints and does landscaping for a living.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:19 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
It's not a "phobia." It's a preference. Please stop pathologizing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 01:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 589,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I have a friend who's 3 or 4 years younger than I am. She's a tech-phobic senior -- I'm not.
I definitely don't think it's age-related, as much as perhaps personality disorder related (could be any number of disorders) - basically stubborn, hostile or fearful people with little-to-no intellectual curiosity who live kind of OCDish lives where they have to do the same OLD things over and over.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:31 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,095,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I definitely don't think it's age-related, as much as perhaps personality disorder related (could be any number of disorders) - basically stubborn, hostile or fearful people with little-to-no intellectual curiosity who live kind of OCDish lives where they have to do the same OLD things over and over.
Yup, agreed. There are plenty of verbal and written 'tells' when someone is responding out of stubbornness and different forms of hostility, like calling things 'crap' and silly phrases like 'HELL NO!' LOL.

But look, I don't go way out of my way just to embrace every new shiny object, but I do have a general curiosity in most areas. I don't draw rigid lines around what tech i will or will not embrace 'just because.' I do have a pretty good radar about what's in my best interest to get comfortable with.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:38 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 24 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,305,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Yup, agreed. There are plenty of verbal and written 'tells' when someone is responding out of stubbornness and different forms of hostility, like calling things 'crap' and silly phrases like 'HELL NO!' LOL.

But look, I don't go way out of my way just to embrace every new shiny object, but I do have a general curiosity in most areas. I don't draw rigid lines around what tech i will or will not embrace 'just because.' I do have a pretty good radar about what's in my best interest to get comfortable with.
But you're unwilling to ascribe the same to older people? Instead you're going to insist they're all just luddites. Got it.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:43 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,095,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But you're unwilling to ascribe the same to older people? Instead you're going to insist they're all just luddites. Got it.
Yes that's exactly it. You got me!

For those who are legitimately playing along, what I mean is I may not be using 100 apps on my smart phone but I certainly HAVE one, and use several apps, and if there seemed to be a 'trend' or something that suggested I better get savvy with something new I probably would.
Like using Slack at work, in addition to email.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:43 PM

4,686 posts, read 2,830,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's not a "phobia." It's a preference. Please stop pathologizing it.
I think the computer-jockeys realize at some level that this "technology" they're so obsessed with really requires little more to operate than a willingness to spend vast amounts of time pushing buttons in sequences set by other people; so they try to create the narrative that those of us who have better things to do with our time and energy must be afraid of it, or even have personality disorders. Better that than to realize that there are a lot of people who simply have no interest in the subject; use it as a tool when needed, but otherwise don't want to be bothered.

I mean, clean toilets are a valued utility, but I don't want to spend all my time obsessing about the cleaning of toilets, either. I know how to clean a toilet; I'll do it when needed, but I'd rather pay someone to do it for me. It's not a high-order concern.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:56 AM

12 posts, read 5,374 times
Well... I did really not expect my question to generate such a massiv discussion. I just want to say that I never wanted to claim that elderly people should use more tech or wouldn't be able to use tech or something like that. And I fully agree that also myself and our younger generation should not constantly be available and online.

Thanks to everyone for the help I'll let my parents decide what to use and what not to use. I asked their neighbors whether they would be okey if I call in case I should get worried

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

7,819 posts, read 6,455,003 times
When I got my smart phone, it came with no directions whatsoever. They assigned me a number with a Seattle area code, I live in Florida. This actually is a plus. When I get a call from a Seattle area code, I know it is trash and delete it.

I was perfectly fine with a landline. I had caller ID that worked fine every time. The phone company went away.

The people at the phone companies are geeks and assume that their customers are also geeks. There is an old saying "when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me".

The geeks need to design things for their grandmothers. When I was a boy, we had a landline, one of 3 on a block of 6 houses. It was hard wired to a box on the dining room wall, and did not have a dial. You picked it up and told the operator the number that you wanted. I am 90.

Last edited by engineman; Yesterday at 09:52 PM..

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

88,917 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
When I got my smart phone, it came with no directions whatsoever. They assigned me a number with a Seattle area code, I live in Florida. This actually is a plus. When I get a call from a Seattle area code, I know it is trash and delete it.

I was perfectly fine with a landline. I had caller ID that worked fine every time. The phone company went away.

The people at the phone companies are geeks and assume that their customers are also geeks. There is an old saying "when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me".

The geeks need to design things for their grandmothers. When I was a boy, we had a landline, one of 3 on a block of 6 houses. It was hard wired to a box on the dining room wall, and did not have a dial. You picked it up and told the operator the number that you wanted. I am 90.
Geeks are not in the business of designing technology from 80 years ago. There are no operators anymore to give you the number you want. Agree there should be some basic usage information available for those who need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents