Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fort Worth or Charlotte?
Fort Worth 96 51.34%
Charlotte 91 48.66%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,086,679 times

Advertisements

Both of these two cities (Charlotte and Fort Worth) are growing rapidly in their respective states/regions. Which one would you prefer on an overall scale?

The criteria is basic; Atlantagreg has advised us not to have any skyline threads, which is fine, besides the skyline there really are more to a city.

- Food (Major category)
- Schools
- Infrastructure
- Downtown office space
- Parks (Major category)
- Cost of Living
- Quality of Life
- Good neighborhoods
- Influence of Suburban cities
- Influence of other major cities in the state
- Major rivers/lakes
- Activities for outdoors
- Shopping
- Good hotels
- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are)
- Future city renovation projects
- Public Transportation

^ You can use any of these things to base your answer, please give a good explanation. It could be about anything, which city is taking into account of all the above criteria is better overall?

Last edited by DANNYY; 04-27-2010 at 01:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 AM

I still think as far as this goes, Charlotte is still a bit more ahead of the game. Minus the airport category.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,898,066 times
I'll give it a shot:

- Food (Major category): not sure about this one. Could go either way.
- Schools: Maybe Charlotte by a hair?
- Infrastructure: not sure about this one either
- Downtown office space: Charlotte easily
- Parks (Major category): Maybe Ft. Worth, not sure
- Cost of Living: probably about even
- Quality of Life: probably about even
- Good neighborhoods: not sure
- Influence of Suburban cities: Ft. Worth easily (Arlington anyone?)
- Influence of other major cities in the state: Ft. Worth, just for its neighbor
- Major rivers/lakes: Probably Charlotte
- Activities for outdoors: not sure
- Shopping: they may be even here, not sure
- Good hotels: Charlotte
- Airports (Size, Hubs, airlines, and how busy they are): Ft. Worth
- Future city renovation projects: Tie
- Public Transportation: Charlotte (light rail)

Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,793,272 times
I prefer Fort Worth, but Charlotte is a nice city too.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I still think as far as this goes, Charlotte is still a bit more ahead of the game. Minus the airport category.
Fort Worth has is much more diverse, stronger infrastructure, larger economy, and offers more culture amenities. Charlotte is a great city but it is still slightly behind Fort Worth in these categories I mentioned.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,898,066 times
Some things aren't able to be isolated to Fort Worth alone since it is in the same MSA as DFW, so you can't really do a true comparison in some respects.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,759,288 times
I guess the question is, in considering these two are we to ingore big a%$ Dallas right next door to Fort Worth? That makes a huge difference. As someone who's lived in Charlotte and Dallas, I will say that when comparing Charlotte to Ft. Worth I definitly give the edge to Charlotte. But if you factor in Dallas and its proximity to Ft. Worth, IMO, the tables turn completely and its not even close. The DFW area is like having Charlotte and Atlanta side by side to each other, literally, no exaggeration.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I guess the question is, in considering these two are we to ingore big a%$ Dallas right next door to Fort Worth? That makes a huge difference. As someone who's lived in Charlotte and Dallas, I will say that when comparing Charlotte to Ft. Worth I definitly give the edge to Charlotte. But if you factor in Dallas and its proximity to Ft. Worth, IMO, the tables turn completely and its not even close. The DFW area is like having Charlotte and Atlanta side by side to each other, literally, no exaggeration.
The only thing I want Dallas to be factored in is the airport. That's it! I want this to be a fair comparison for Forth Worth. The city can hold it's own grounds without Dallas's help.
That is why American Airlines picked Fort Worth to be their headquarter city, and 9 billionaires in Fort Worth can't be wrong about picking the place!

So, lets have a fair comparison. By the way, Arlington counts as Fort Worth's suburb.

OHH and one big thing, the metroplex is designed to be split into Dallas-Plano-Irving & Fort Worth-Arlington, so you can use FW-Arlington Metro if you want to exclude Dallas and have a fair comparison.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...opolitan_areas
^ It'll tell you the population and the key cities.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,319,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth has is much more diverse, stronger infrastructure, larger economy, and offers more culture amenities. Charlotte is a great city but it is still slightly behind Fort Worth in these categories I mentioned.
Fort Worth metro division GDP is smaller than Charlottes.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,759,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The only thing I want Dallas to be factored in is the airport. That's it! I want this to be a fair comparison for Forth Worth. The city can hold it's own grounds without Dallas's help.
That is why American Airlines picked Fort Worth to be their headquarter city, and 9 billionaires in Fort Worth can't be wrong about picking the place!

So, lets have a fair comparison. By the way, Arlington counts as Fort Worth's suburb.

OHH and one big thing, the metroplex is designed to be split into Dallas-Plano-Irving & Fort Worth-Arlington, so you can use FW-Arlington Metro if you want to exclude Dallas and have a fair comparison.
List of Texas metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^ It'll tell you the population and the key cities.
Points well taken, and its certainly understood that Arlington is actually a surburb of Ft. Worth, not Dallas. But the problem still with the comparison is that you've got the Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys both based in Arlington. To the casual observer that probably evens up the pro sports comparison given Charlotte has two teams also. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know those teams exist in Arlington because they primarliy serve the sprawling populations of Dallas proper. Same with the airport, and their Six Flags. At the end of the day, there's so much about Ft. Worth that is directly related to Dallas I think its hard to make a fair comparison. But I understand, so carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City