Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next Big City - North America
Raleigh, NC 2 2.60%
Charlotte, NC 17 22.08%
Kansas City, MO 2 2.60%
Nashville, TN 9 11.69%
Minneapolis, MN 8 10.39%
Denver, CO 9 11.69%
Austin, TX 25 32.47%
Sacramento, CA 1 1.30%
Edmonton, AB (Canada) 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 08:53 AM

2,243 posts, read 1,420,173 times

Advertisements

I don't see any of these hitting 6 million. I think Austin/San Antonio could get to 7-8 million combined but it would be evenly split between the two metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 09:02 AM

1,368 posts, read 897,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
None of these will be 6 million+ MSA’s by 2050. The largest of these would be Minneapolis-St. Paul or Denver, both at around 4, maybe 4.5 million or so, by then.

At least, that is what the projections show.

If we are looking at 2075, then who knows. Maybe Charlotte or Austin could reach 6 million. We would be looking at an entirely different landscape by then. Not in your poll options but maybe Las Vegas could reach 6 million after the construction of a giant water pipeline to Lake Michigan. Vegas already is a boomtown and if the water situation was alleviated it would probably explode in growth given its international tourism draw, unique attractions, and reputation for entertainment and shows. I’ve always weirdly felt that Vegas encapsulates a lot of American culture, and it basically has an unlimited swath of land in which to expand to the south/south-west of the city (there’s still a ton in every direction honestly). It also already carries much greater name recognition than its size would otherwise afford.

It’s hard to say. So I’d pick none / no vote. If I had to pick, I’d choose Las Vegas as a total wildcard, to reach 6 million+, more than doubling from its current size, and that would be 50 years from now.
Minneapolis is already at 3.7 million people and was a top 10 city twice before. The Sunbelt cities don't have the infrastructure unless they sprawl out like crazy.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Minneapolis is already at 3.7 million people and was a top 10 city twice before. The Sunbelt cities don't have the infrastructure unless they sprawl out like crazy.
Minneapolis doesn't have the growth to add 2 million in 25 years though.

I could see it being the answer to be biggest of these in 2050 just because it already is the biggest, but it would be shocking for it to be 6M.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:07 AM

4,171 posts, read 2,875,838 times
Quote:
Sprawl is what we do best. Atlanta is the template, though we should hopefully be able to avoid the worst excesses with time.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:37 AM

17,415 posts, read 15,554,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Sprawl is what we do best. Atlanta is the template, though we should hopefully be able to avoid the worst excesses with time.
There is a strong push in most, if not all major cities to modern urbanism (think South End in Charlotte, for instance.) The heavily car-centric suburban nightmare of sunbelt cities is not sustainable, and thankfully things like massive surface parking lots are being phased out. New apartment complexes are being built closer to streetside, commutes via train is making a comeback, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Montreal or Phoenix seem like the most reasonable bets. They're the closest to 6 million now in metropolitan area population and both are growing at what are fairly quick paces for North America.
Correct answer.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:05 AM

8,902 posts, read 6,928,647 times
Probably none of these will cross six million in our lifetimes. Birth rates have fallen in the US and most of the world. Also, it's really hard to maintain growth given each city's infrastructure limits.

If you use CSA, Detroit, Phoenix, Seattle, and Orlando might be in striking distance, currently in that order. Phoenix seems likely if it doesn't get too much hotter. Seattle could do well with climate change.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:14 AM

19 posts, read 2,164 times
I feel Minneapolis and Denver are already in different brackets than the others (haven't been to either, so correct me if I'm wrong). Both are already major just not on the level of what I guess you are classifying as big cities (I guess below Phoenix/Seattle).

Of your list, I'd say Austin has the most going for it in regards to investment fueled by the tech industry and is viewed as a desirable place. Nashville is more on the front on the tourist side.

As a Canadian, I don't see Edmonton becoming the next major city, if talking Alberta, Calgary has a lot more going for it even if I have no desire to live in either. Given the cities you've mentioned, keep in mind, Vancouver is smaller than Denver and the Twin Cities, so if any Canadian city is going to become the next major North American city, I'd say Vancouver.

In my view, there are really only two truly major cities between Canada and the United States, and those are NYC and LA. Then you have a bracket of places like Toronto, Chicago, SF, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Atlanta, and Montreal. After that you get into like the Phoenix, Denver, Minneapolis, and Seattle's.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:08 PM

28 posts, read 17,985 times
Factually speaking, Phoenix will be the next US MSA to reach 6 million, probably by 2030
It is at 5 million now and rapidly growing.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:49 PM

1,368 posts, read 897,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Minneapolis doesn't have the growth to add 2 million in 25 years though.

I could see it being the answer to be biggest of these in 2050 just because it already is the biggest, but it would be shocking for it to be 6M.
True but we don't know what could happen in 25 years. People may flock to interior cities due to climate change and lack of water

Old 05-10-2024, 09:16 PM

Quote:
True but we don't know what could happen in 25 years. People may flock to interior cities due to climate change and lack of water
Even the most pessimistic forecasts would not predict anywhere near that drastic of a change in 25 years... Minneapolis will still be cold in 25 years lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City