Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 07:38 PM

13,841 posts, read 8,122,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I do not believe Jesus founded the Catholic Church.
Fair enough. I have come to the opposite conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 07:47 PM

Quote:
it's a bit hypocritical because there are a lot of people within the Catholic Church that have different opinions and do not agree with some of the teachings of the Church. What's the difference between them and Protestants? Those Catholics took confirmation and got initiated into the Church by their priest and was labeled as "Catholic". Who knows if they started to have a change in opinion about the church after years passed by. But hey, it's ok because they're confirmed Catholic, right? They might have more agreements with some Protestant denominations compared to the Catholic Church but since they were confirmed in the Catholic Church, they can still call themselves Catholic and act like they are part of the "united Church".
I strongly empathize with this as I held the same view for a long time. I felt that the Catholic Church was too exclusive, not "catholic" enough.

When I became a Catholic, I took a vow to believe all that the Church infallibly teaches. All Catholics have a responsibility to do this. Of course, many do not. That is on them and it's not okay. We will all have to stand before God and give an account.

Humble submission to what God has revealed and submission to those He has placed in charge of His Church is our duty.

Uniformity of doctrine has always been held in great importance. This is made clear historically in the many doctrinal controversies which she has had to deal with.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:08 PM

1,413 posts, read 686,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I strongly empathize with this as I held the same view for a long time. I felt that the Catholic Church was too exclusive, not "catholic" enough.

When I became a Catholic, I took a vow to believe all that the Church infallibly teaches. All Catholics have a responsibility to do this. Of course, many do not. That is on them and it's not okay. We will all have to stand before God and give an account.

Humble submission to what God has revealed and submission to those He has placed in charge of His Church is our duty.

Uniformity of doctrine has always been held in great importance. This is made clear historically in the many doctrinal controversies which she has had to deal with.
If I were to become Catholic, I would join the Catholic Church as it existed in the 1st century right after the church was called the "Catholic Church", not today's modern-day Catholic Church. Today's Catholic Church, in my opinion, is too political. Too many rules. The leaders at the top are trying hard to appease the Church's followers, whether they are conscious about it or not. Pope Francis always says "let God lead the way and not let our disagreements divide us", which is hypocritical. Sure, we respect each other's beliefs whether Catholic or non-Catholic but lets be real. The decisions we make are highly influenced by the rules of the church. When a person says "can I do XYZ?", the first thing that pops into a person's mind should be "would God be ok with this?" not "does this abide by the church's rules?"

Quote:
The problem with this is politics. If you got the past 10 popes and put them in one room, do you think they would all 100% agree with each other in what they believed in? Most likely not. They all led the Catholic church in different ways.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:30 PM

7,513 posts, read 4,267,860 times
Quote:
https://www.americamagazine.org/fait...rimates-247853

Sorry, I have to rant. It irks me. I admit I like how respectful Pope Francis is to a non-Catholic denomination and his encouragement to follow God and walk together as Christians but come on now....

This is why I choose not to be a part of any denomination.

Is there any books in the bible where it says it is completely normal for Christians to be divided?
Outside of your anti-Catholic rant brought on by old guys talking, what is the point of it?

Quote:
The Anglican primates are the senior bishops, archbishops or moderators of the 42-member churches of the Anglican Communion; they meet every two years. A spokeswoman for the Anglican Communion said 32 of the primates were present in Rome; some were unable to attend while others refused to join the gathering, mainly to protest a decision by the Church of England to bless same-sex unions.

The primates’ meeting April 26–May 3 marked their first group pilgrimage to Rome. Their visit included daily Bible studies on the Book of Acts, focusing on leadership and what it means to share together in joint mission and witness, as well as discussions and pilgrimages to St. Peter’s Basilica and the tomb of St. Peter and to the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls and the tomb of St. Paul.

During their meeting, the primates were reviewing a paper on structure and decision-making in the Anglican Communion and proposals for addressing differences and disagreements within the church.

Pope Francis told them how the Easter season readings of the Acts of the Apostles reminds all Christians of the joys and struggles the Christian community has faced from the beginning.

The Anglican Primates went to Rome to St. Peter's Basilica which contains the tomb of St. Peter and the Basilica of St. Paul and the tomb of St. Paul. They met with Pope Francis.

If you are upset that the Anglican Primates went to Rome? OR that the Anglican Primates meet with Pope Francis? Then take that up with the Anglicans. Pope Francis was accommodating to their visit. Would it had been better if Pope Francis slammed the door to them? Really, what is your issue? Besides your anti-catholicism?

Old 05-13-2024, 08:30 PM

64,093 posts, read 40,390,471 times
Quote:
If I were to become Catholic, I would join the Catholic Church as it existed in the 1st century right after the church was called the "Catholic Church", not today's modern-day Catholic Church. Today's Catholic Church, in my opinion, is too political. Too many rules. The leaders at the top are trying hard to appease the Church's followers, whether they are conscious about it or not. Pope Francis always says "let God lead the way and not let our disagreements divide us", which is hypocritical. Sure, we respect each other's beliefs whether Catholic or non-Catholic but lets be real. The decisions we make are highly influenced by the rules of the church. When a person says "can I do XYZ?", the first thing that pops into a person's mind should be "would God be ok with this?" not "does this abide by the church's rules?"
Amen. I would clarify it by saying "Would Jesus as He demonstrated His perfect agape love on the Cross be ok with this?"
Quote:
The problem with this is politics. If you got the past 10 popes and put them in one room, do you think they would all 100% agree with each other in what they believed in? Most likely not. They all led the Catholic church in different ways.
Men are not Jesus, therefore not God, so they have no business telling others what God wants. Jesus promised a Comforter (Paraclete)_ and He delivered on the Cross. Remember His perfect agape love and emulate it as often as possible to please God. That is how you follow the Holy Spirit, NOT the "precepts and doctrines of men." As Pope Francis said, the Paraclete has primacy.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Have you read early Church documents such as Council canons and the Didache? The Catholic Church actually has far fewer rules now than it did then, for better or for worse.

Quote:
Leading in different ways is not the same thing as believing differently especially as regards fundamental doctrines. Of course even popes are human beings with agency and will have their own take on things, to a degree.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Outside of your anti-Catholic rant brought on by old guys talking, what is the point of it?

The Anglican Primates went to Rome to St. Peter's Basilica which contains the tomb of St. Peter and the Basilica of St. Paul and the tomb of St. Paul. They met with Pope Francis.

If you are upset that the Anglican Primates went to Rome? OR that the Anglican Primates meet with Pope Francis? Then take that up with the Anglicans. Pope Francis was accommodating to their visit. Would it had been better if Pope Francis slammed the door to them? Really, what is your issue? Besides your anti-catholicism?
I wouldn't consider myself anti-Catholic. I am anti-division. I would really like to see an article that says "Pope Francis moves even closer to communion with Protestants".

Maybe I should have spent more time reading the article. My apologies. Religious leaders always discuss meeting each other and talking about unity. Here, Pope Francis openly admits both denominations having an imperfect communion.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Here, Pope Francis openly admits both denominations having an imperfect communion.
Christians can share an imperfect communion by virtue of our common baptism. There is One Church, One Faith, One Baptism.

Unfortunately, many baptized Christians reject the One Faith and One Church part.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Christians can share an imperfect communion by virtue of our common baptism. There is One Church, One Faith, One Baptism.

Unfortunately, many baptized Christians reject the One Faith and One Church part.
As a Christian, communion holds a special importance to me. It represents the sacrifice Jesus made to save us.

I personally believe that if Pope Leo X would not have been so corrupt and if Martin Luther would have been more diplomatic, Protestantism would have never happened. Martin Luther let his own anger get the best of him and we will never know what he would have thought about the aftermath of the reformation since he died. I personally believe Protestants took his beliefs and exaggerated them to the point where many Protestants intentionally look down on Catholicism. In the meantime, the Catholic Church hasn't really done its part in reaching out to Protestants to unite.

I think this is the first time I've read about the Anglican Church reaching out to Pope Francis and I'm glad they met. I just wish the outcome of these meetings would be more fruitful and they move several inches towards unity and not just a statement saying "lets agree to not let our disagreements divide us".

Old 05-14-2024, 08:42 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,381,969 times
I'm coming to believe Francis is speaking more for Catholic, as in "universal" Church. And less and less for the ROMAN Catholic Church.

And it's primarily for that reason, I'm quite fond of his message.

He's speaks for unity, and reconciliation. Without which, The Body of Christ will remain
divided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity