Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 01:15 PM

83 posts, read 68,581 times

Advertisements

^^^

When I flew as crew on P3s in the US Navy there were certain countries we had to fumigate the plane prior to landing. We carried aerosol cans of some foul insecticide. We would wait until we landed and were taxiing in and then we would spray a large amount around the main cabin door so that when the inspectors came aboard they could smell we had "sprayed" the interior.

RR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 10:42 AM

8 posts, read 5,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you think - it's hardly impossible anymore - well, Southwest found a new way and reveals thinner seats to cram even more people onboard.
Now, wedged between a drunk farting guy who hasn't showered in a week and someone holding a screaming baby that just puked, Southwest Airlines hopes you'll pause for a second and think to yourself: hey, nice new seats. I'm suddenly enjoying air travel, again!!

New Recaro seats are as thin as an ironing board BUT will maximize cabin space and squeeze more paying passengers onboard are designed to take up as little space as possible. The chairs, clad in artificial leather, feature a thin foam cushion in the front.

"Our redesigned cabin interior significantly enhances our inflight Customer experience and will complement the amazing service that our Crews provide,” said Southwest Airlines senior vice president and chief customer officer Tony Roach.
These new Southwest cabins are set to debut in early 2025 on the carrier’s new Boeing 737 Max 8 planes.

"We believe our 2024 plan provides a line of sight to improve our profitability year-over-year, earn our cost of capital this year, and provide significant progress towards our long-term goal to well exceed our cost of capital." said in a news release, CEO and president Bob Jordan.
Southwest earned a net income of $498 million, according to the company's report.

A hell of a statement and one more reason to avoid those airplanes.

[url]https://jalopnik.com/southwest-airlines-reveals-thinner-seats-to-cram-more-p-1851230112[/url]
My last flight, over a decade ago, was with Spirit airlines and it was so bad, both ways, I haven't flown since.

I'd rather drive.

They're also intentionally discouraging calling 911 these days to report crimes and issues in your city unless you want to be part of the investigation (investigated) and the court case.

Hmm ...

Probably all coincidental.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:10 PM

631 posts, read 289,868 times
I’m still on the edge of my seat about StealthRabbit’s job reveal.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:22 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,529,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
Speaking of unpleasant flying experiences, I remember some years ago if you were on an international flight arriving in New Zealand, after your plane arrived at the gate, you had to sit tight while NZ officials boarded the aircraft with spray bottles of some sort of insecticide which they then proceeded to spray over your head while they walked up and down the aisleways (while you tried covering your mouth and nose with a tissue). Only after they had left the aircraft were you allowed to get up and disembark.
Happened for many years when landing in Australia too.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:05 PM

1,000 posts, read 543,365 times
Back when I flew, Southwest was my favorite airline. It helped that my sister married a Southwest airline captain. Two things endeared them to me.

When I first flew about 30 years ago, my sister's husband gave me a free ticket to San Francisco from Biloxi, Ms that he had won at a Southwest raffle. I loved his watch: it would chime when he could safely have a drink. Neither of us knew that the flight he gave me was a milk run, and I had 4 stopovers before getting to S.F. The first people on crew offered me complimentary peanuts and 2 beers on the flight. Each time we landed another crew came on board, so I got 2 more beers each time. I could barely walk when we got to the Left Coast!

The other thing I liked about Southwest (besides no reserved seats) was the flight crews. They were friendly and funny. Only later did I understand that other airlines had people that did NOT have a sense of humor. When the gal on my fight was explaining those boring, Federally mandated cautions she said, "If you're flying w/ a 2 year old....or someone who is acting like one....." that got a lot of relieved laughter from her captive audience. Then she schooled us on the proper procedures in the event the pilot had to ditch the plane. She said "your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device. However, we won't be flying over any water on this flight. So If the pilot needs to make an emergency landing, take your seat cushion/flotation device and throw it in the dirt!"

Now I take the train. We haven't had to make an emergency landing yet, and there's a bar, dining room and an observation car. I love the train.

Last edited by stephenMM; 03-27-2024 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-28-2024, 09:04 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
I’m still on the edge of my seat about StealthRabbit’s job reveal.
Me too.
Stealth. Rabbit.

Someone who hops around quietly and procreates?

Old 03-28-2024, 09:51 PM

17,599 posts, read 13,383,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRider View Post
^^^

When I flew as crew on P3s in the US Navy there were certain countries we had to fumigate the plane prior to landing. We carried aerosol cans of some foul insecticide. We would wait until we landed and were taxiing in and then we would spray a large amount around the main cabin door so that when the inspectors came aboard they could smell we had "sprayed" the interior.

RR
I remember the same thing when flying commercial to either the Bahamas or Bermuda. Flight attendants were apologizing all the way down the aisles

Old 03-29-2024, 02:14 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,772,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I remember the same thing when flying commercial to either the Bahamas or Bermuda. Flight attendants were apologizing all the way down the aisles
this is disgusting but know it goes on .. and harms all onboard especially people with MCS.. it can leave them ill for weeks..

Old 03-29-2024, 08:59 AM

4,211 posts, read 4,465,097 times
Soon they will take a page from Government.

In the corporate airline world their *ideal* "Dynamic pricing" would be when you go through security scan it also weighs you and measures body density and then calculates the amount charged. Passengers would find out once they completed their flights. Sort of like how politicians needed to pass a Bill to know what was in it (Obamacare). You'd have to 'commit to the flight' to know the cost after!

Then if you have a dispute they would form a whole new bureaucracy to determine whether the charges were accurate and have a kangaroo court for all those excess lawyers to have a secure government job. I fore see a more and more soviet communist style system - all under the guise to protect us of course.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:48 AM

394 posts, read 277,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
this is disgusting but know it goes on .. and harms all onboard especially people with MCS.. it can leave them ill for weeks..
My late wife suffered from severely compromised lung function. When she took those flights she was allowed to leave the plane on arrival (under her doctors direction), then they would shut the doors again and commence spraying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation