Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 12:57 AM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times

Advertisements

Discussion on Canadian news:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video/c286261...in-plane-seats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 06:16 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,098,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How long after they put in these new "skinny" seats, will they start weighing and measuring the passengers, and charging them for an extra seat if they are chubbier than a typical major league baseball shortstop?

Got to "earn that cost of capital", dontcha know.
If they bother weighing passengers then maybe they will apportion snacks based on that weight.

If people are paying more to fly, based on weight, then they should not go light on those snacks. It’s a win win.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:06 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

The people commenting on those seats seem to be standing in front of a screen showing a picture of those seats. Seems to me analogous to judging a book by its cover.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
I just hope they don't recline! (domestic flights under 5 hrs)

Last night's flights were full of the recliner type passengers.

That ranks high on making the flight unpleasant for others.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:58 AM

11,163 posts, read 7,977,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Finnair said the move, which will be done on a voluntary basis through May, is designed to improve balance calculations that will enhance flight safety.

Air New Zealand does that as part of a survey to generate average weights for people traveling on Air New Zealand flights.
Both tests are voluntary and anonymous. The goal is to get readings from at least 10,000 air passengers.
The scales do not display the weight as this is fed directly into a computer and recorded anonymously.
Airlines have been using averages for decades. When I worked for a major airline we’d use 190 pounds as an average weight for a passenger and their carry on and an average of 70 pounds for checked baggage.
I don’t recall an epidemic ( or even any at all) of airplanes falling out of the sky because were too heavy or loaded incorrectly… throwing off the balance.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:12 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,999,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Airlines have been using averages for decades. When I worked for a major airline we’d use 190 pounds as an average weight for a passenger and their carry on and an average of 70 pounds for checked baggage.
I don’t recall an epidemic ( or even any at all) of airplanes falling out of the sky because were too heavy or loaded incorrectly… throwing off the balance.
There was a turboprop plane that crashed in 2003 because the average FAA-approved passenger weight number the pilots on that flight used to calculate weight and balance for the flight was too low (it was using data collected in the 1950s). That caused the FAA to increase the number. What companies like Finnair and Air New Zealand are now doing is recollecting data every few years from passengers on their various routes so the weights they use for their weight and balance calculations will continue to remain accurate. That way if passenger weight continues to increase, they'll know it and won't make a potentially deadly miscalculation (or fly their planes with a lower safety margin than they realize).

Old 02-12-2024, 11:13 AM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The new seats sound like the design was borrowed from Aeroflot.
Looks like they aren't too bad
https://www.travelcodex.com/review-a...rk-jfk-moscow/

Old 02-12-2024, 02:32 PM

16,568 posts, read 10,653,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I remember when flying was somewhat enjoyable. Used to go from New York to Florida on National. Anybody remember them? The last time I flew was in 2021 from Florida to Denver. Not super comfortable but I can deal with it for 4 hours. Any longer and I think I would be quite unhappy.
My very first airline flight was on National, back in 1975. After Pan Am gobbled them up, I flew on a flight from DCA to PBI that was branded as Pan Am, but it was probably just a repainted National plane and a re-uniformed National crew.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:56 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,702,798 times
Flew from Queenstown to Auckland today on Air New Zealand. No one asked to weigh me.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:50 AM

394 posts, read 277,585 times
Speaking of unpleasant flying experiences, I remember some years ago if you were on an international flight arriving in New Zealand, after your plane arrived at the gate, you had to sit tight while NZ officials boarded the aircraft with spray bottles of some sort of insecticide which they then proceeded to spray over your head while they walked up and down the aisleways (while you tried covering your mouth and nose with a tissue). Only after they had left the aircraft were you allowed to get up and disembark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation