Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

If the state will legislate to allow us to put it to a referendum, and add maybe a nickel to the sales tax here and receive that back to us here -- that's the key," Cox said. "I think the voters should have this choice."

York County considers gas tax to fix pothole problem | Charlotte News, Weather, Traffic, Sports WCNC.com | Local News
'

'
'

'

'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,450 times
I will be voting NO!!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I dont blame you.
IMO it would impact the economy from people who come to South Carolina from
Charlotte to take advantage of the cheaper gas.
I do this and often eat at a local restaurant or go shopping.
If the gas price is going to be about the same then I have no need to make the trip

Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,343 times
Don't we already pay taxes to fix potholes? Where is that money?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
The C Fund money (gasoline tax revenue) is split between the counties in South Carolina. The C Fund money York County receives is allocated to our seven local House of Rep members, Delleney, King, Kirsh, Long, Moss, Norman & Simrill. This money is to be used for road improvements.

Here is the most recent C Fund allocation report from the State 2008-2009.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/reports/DOT/2008-09CFundProgramAnnualReport.pdf (broken link)

The report says they are expecting a slight increase in C Fund revenue for fiscal year 2009-2010.

Our Pennies for Progress, 1 cent sales tax, is for new road construction only.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 AM

393 posts, read 1,187,693 times
How about getting rid of "pennys for progress" and use the 1 cent sales tax to fix roads that already exist? Why are we going to build new roads when we can't even fix the ones we have?

On an interesting side note...
If you drive up 274 in LW toward the NC line, right pass the Murphy Express, they just installed a "Rough Road" sign. Yes, that will solve all the problems...a new sign. Don't fix any of the moonscape crater potholes, just put in a sign. I'm sure with the time and money involved to install a stupid sign, they could have at least patched a few of the tire flattening potholes on that deathtrap road.

And who patches these potholes? The blind? Have you seen the work they do? They are like reverse potholes...instead of going down into the hole, you go up because they are so unlevel with the road and completely uneven.

Your government at work. Geeeezzzz!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 PM

22 posts, read 56,656 times
I like how they continue to fill these holes individually, when there is 10-15 holes side by side. I watched them do this on one particular road for over 2 years. They were out there just about every week(no kidding, even in the summer) until someone finally decided to patch the whole area.
"Rough Road" signs are a joke. I think they would come out better financially putting up "Smooth Road" signs over here in Lancaster County!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
How about getting rid of "pennys for progress" and use the 1 cent sales tax to fix roads that already exist? Why are we going to build new roads when we can't even fix the ones we have?

On an interesting side note...
If you drive up 274 in LW toward the NC line, right pass the Murphy Express, they just installed a "Rough Road" sign. Yes, that will solve all the problems...a new sign. Don't fix any of the moonscape crater potholes, just put in a sign. I'm sure with the time and money involved to install a stupid sign, they could have at least patched a few of the tire flattening potholes on that deathtrap road.

And who patches these potholes? The blind? Have you seen the work they do? They are like reverse potholes...instead of going down into the hole, you go up because they are so unlevel with the road and completely uneven.

Your government at work. Geeeezzzz!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties