Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:38 AM

1,685 posts, read 3,959,557 times

Advertisements

It looks like I will be moving from Pineville to Rock Hill in the next 30 days....looking for answers to a couple of questions.

(1) can I use my A T &T DSL instead of Comporium? their prices are tooooo high!!! Or any suggestions for high speed dsl that isn't $ 45+ a month.
(2) Can I get the Charlotte Observer delivered there? I'll get the Herald on weekends, but the cartoons and sports sections are 2 sections I read out of the Observer... and cut out the cartoons for a friend....she has to have her Pickles!!!
(3) looking for a few pieces of furniture....not expensive, any suggestions? Have to get a new sofa....mine is over 25 years old and falling apart, and need some fill in end tables. lamps, etc.

thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 PM

259 posts, read 798,843 times
I think Comporium is the only service you can get in Rock Hill. Perhaps it depends on where in Rock Hill. Others who have lived here longer may have more of an idea.

Yes, you can get the Charlotte Observer delivered in Rock Hill.

I am too new to know about furniture. I keep seeing ads for Rooms to Go but I have no experience buying furniture here. But there should be some good deals out there right now.

Sorry I can't be of more help! Welcome to the area. You will like the less expensive gas here and lower income taxes than in NC!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 AM

thanks for responding. I avoid Rooms to Go as I have heard too many frightening stories about them. My niece and her husband bought a dining table and chairs and they made 4 different appointments to deliver, each of them took time off work and no show....they finally went to the store mgr and asked for the $$ back and he assured them it would be there then next day....it was, the wrong table....right chairs. She pitched a fit and refused the delivery, went back to the store and got her $$ back, went on the local Savannah news with the story and the station was flooded with similar complaints....

and a coworker bought a sleigh bed from them, had it delivered and set up and the first night the screws holding the headboard to the frame stripped and they crashed to the floor. No they were not doing the nasty..... they were sleeping. RTG was out there the next day and removed the bed and they bought elsewhere.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 AM

622 posts, read 1,783,938 times
Check out craigslist.com for furniture. There are a number of gently used pieces available at very good prices.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
Check out craigslist.com for furniture. There are a number of gently used pieces available at very good prices.
why didn't I think of that? too much going on in this foggy head, Thanks!!

Old 01-25-2009, 02:04 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,976,131 times
littlelou, Furniture Factory Outlet World in Waxhaw is a good place to visit.

AT&T DSL is not available here ... you are sort of stuck ... our son lives in Florida and was here for a few days and he had his laptop and used something from Sprint ... it was a plug in card thing ... I am not technical so I don't know what it was ... I have Hughes Net satellite and it's the pits but it's the best I could do without going to Comporium.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:52 PM

196 posts, read 619,834 times
OUCH Hughes Net...I'd rather get in my truck and drive into town to get a stronger cell phone signal and surf the web from my truck, and pay only 1/4 of Hughes!

Lou..yes CW is correct if you do not want Comporium you can go with a Broadband Connection from a wireless carrier. If you PM me I can assist off list, send me the address you will be going to and I'll tell you who will give you the best service. I am kind of connected in the industry...

Comporium is a bit expensive for high speed but I got to tell you when I lived in Florida I had DSL and it was about $40 with taxes, maybe even $45 and it was provided by ATT. Cable TV video quality though can be poor, when we lived on the east side of Rock Hill at a rental house we had Comporium cable just for the modem and the speeds were KILLER, I was very pleased with the service but the quality of the cable TV was poor, DSS via DishNetwork is much better. Also do remember that comporium and ATT high speed is UNLIMITED, if you do a lot of YouTube, MP3's or audio streaming anything bandwith intensive YOU WILL NEED TO GO THAT ROUTE! Wireless broadband connections are usually limited in how much you use per month. Sprint/Nextel claims that it's unlimited but it is not, they will send you nasty letters if you use it too much then shut you down and say good by if you continue. Verizon was unlimited till' a lot of people abused it with YouTube and downloading albums so now it's 5GB a month then x amt. for every Gig above that. Most phone companies do it that way now.

It will also do you no good if you don't have good cell phone service at your home. I am stuck in the middle of a pine tree farm WAY out in the boonies and my signal is very weak. I have had to purchase a special router, plug my aircard into the router and mount it up at a 2nd floor window with a small outside mobile antenna on the roof. The little router makes the connection and keeps it up 24/7, then serves it to me via WiFi or an ethernet port. If you live in Rock Hill near some of the towers you may not need all of that work and expense. Even with my connection since I have such a weak signal my speeds are more like DSL lite, tough to see any on-line video and it's impossible for me to download things like Linux and family movies since it would probably time out, take a week, or push me over my 5GB.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM

thanks guys for the help. I'm gonna bite the bullet and take the Comporium route. I don't do a lot on the internet, but need decent connection speed when I'm there... I have already arranged for DirecTv to move my dish, and don't have a problem with the Comporium landline package...yes, I'm one of "those" who has to have a land line too.... just can't give it up. My cell service has been good when I've been in the house (it's a rental) and haven't moved yet. I'm a cheapskate in certain cases and when I saw the Comporium prices for DSL my eyes popped. I get a better price through AT &T, but with the basic needs of the landline (instead of the AT & T "package" price), it will probably work out the same $$$. I will be 'one of those" who calls for every nit-picking thing if there is a problem, they might get to know me!!!.

this is one reason I love C-D. you can get answers to any question/problem/worry you have and usually with a cheery attitude!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,224 times
Hi LittleLou, For furniture, try Carolina Consignment on Cherry Road (in a shopping center called Winthrop Commons, anchored by Earth Fare). They have reasonably priced antiques and old-fashioned furniture. They also have accessories. I have bought an armoire, an antique sofa, and some wrought-iron shelves and rack there and am pleased with all the pieces from there. There is another consignment shop with good, gently used furniture on Oakland Avenue down the street from a church. Tinsley's Furniture Gallery (on the eastern end of Cherry Road, just past I-77) has good-quality new furniture. Some are a bit pricey, but they carry good quality and sometimes they have great sales. They're locally owned & operated, and my preference is to buy locally to help keep money in SC (instead of going to nearby Charlotte NC). I have bought several pieces there and am pleased with the quality (after years). All three of these stores have great accessories including lovely lamps at reasonable prices. You're wise to go with Comporium for broadband (cable modem is their fastest). It is rarely down and their tech support people are helpful. If you work at home and need internet access to get your work done, the highish price is worth it.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:53 AM

850 posts, read 2,652,858 times
Ikea opens this week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties