Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 19,964 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy in Indian Land, we have 3 kids first one to start school for the first time. Any comments good bad and ugly from anyone who knows would be great. We are moving from Dallas. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2006, 08:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojess3
We are looking to buy in Indian Land, we have 3 kids first one to start school for the first time. Any comments good bad and ugly from anyone who knows would be great. We are moving from Dallas. Thank you so much!
If you are looking to buy in Indian Land...I would say do it quick. This is a area that is not very large in size...yet the folks that live here are very proud of what they have and wish to retain what they can. The location of Indian Land is surrounded by areas that have been highly sought after of late (there is Fort Mill, SC which is a quaint town known for its excellent school system...then there is the Ballantyne area (south Charlotte) to the other side and then of course Lancaster, SC where Del Webb of Sun City fame has just opened a development (Carolina Lakes). The schools could probably use a little improvement (Indian Land is part of the Lancaster school district) yet they have just hired a new superintendent (who was a graduate of Indian Land schools and who previously was the superintendent of the Cleveland County Schools). For more school info you might check the district website and may I also suggest you check out the Fort Mill Times (online) using (Indian Land growth) for the news search option. Hope that helps a bit and Good Luck to you!

Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 PM

195 posts, read 217,327 times
Here was front page
FORT MILL -- A man walked into the S.C. Bank & Trust of the Piedmont branch on Tom Hall Street at 4:47 Monday afternoon and walked out with an undisclosed amount of cash, according to Fort Mill Police Lt. Bryan Zachary.
"A black male walked up to the teller closest to the door that faces Fort Mill Square and gave her a note demanding money and indicating he had a gun," Zachary said.
I also found this...Makes me think SC might be better?
Crime across the state line in North Carolina continues to be a problem, Craig said, but he's thankful that most of it hasn't crept into the Panhandle.

Last edited by Bound4NC; 05-30-2006 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-30-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound4NC
Here was front page
FORT MILL -- A man walked into the S.C. Bank & Trust of the Piedmont branch on Tom Hall Street at 4:47 Monday afternoon and walked out with an undisclosed amount of cash, according to Fort Mill Police Lt. Bryan Zachary.
"A black male walked up to the teller closest to the door that faces Fort Mill Square and gave her a note demanding money and indicating he had a gun," Zachary said.
I also found this...Makes me think SC might be better?
Crime across the state line in North Carolina continues to be a problem, Craig said, but he's thankful that most of it hasn't crept into the Panhandle.

Hey there Bound4NC....Yep there was a bank robbery in Fort Mill....it made the front page news of our weekly newspaper. Our we proud of it...No...does it happen often...No. Will we ever find a town that doesn't have any crime....we all know we won't....the best advice that I try and give to people is go straight to the source...the local police department of the area that you are looking at (most can be found online)...I think that will be better than any Sterling stats or any one of the thousands of others that are out there. Do I still safe in Fort Mill, SC...you bet I do!

Old 05-30-2006, 08:57 PM

Don't take it bad. It was shocking though. Nothing bad meant by it. The wife and I are actually NOW looking there Can you send me some "links" to the town? Were having a hard time finding any

Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound4NC
Don't take it bad. It was shocking though. Nothing bad meant by it. The wife and I are actually NOW looking there Can you send me some "links" to the town? Were having a hard time finding any
Oh...sorry if I came across as being defensive...but your right it is shocking...it has been the talk of the town of late...plus it does not make a very good first impression and one that does not truly represent this area. I happen to live in Tega Cay, SC (which of course is the best but Fort Mill is still a great town (the children in Tega Cay attend Fort Mill schools as well). I would gladly provide you with some links but city-data will just delete them....not that there is much to check out on the internet but you can start with the city of Fort Mill, SC..then go to the Fort Mill School District website (when school starts back up in August...we will have a new Middle school and a new High School). Other places you can check for info...the Fort Mill times (if you scrowl down you will see a newcomers guide that you can request), the Charlotte Observer (do a search for Fort Mill) then there is another daily paper call the Herald (out of Rock Hill) and a weekly paper called Lake Wylie Pilot (won't have alot on Fort Mill...but at least another source of info for this area).

Old 05-31-2006, 05:46 AM

PM me the links and I'll get them

Old 05-31-2006, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 19,964 times
Default Records show crime in check, despite growth

Records show crime in check, despite growth

By Jenny Overman Fort Mill Times
(Published May 17, 2006)

INDIAN LAND -- The Panhandle's building boom does not seem to significantly be impacting crime, according to a review of recent Lancaster Sheriff's Office reports.
One reason may be the substation the sheriff's office established in Indian Land last year, authorities say.

For whatever reason, four weeks' worth of complaints to the sheriff's office reviewed by the Fort Mill Times showed no violent crimes and few felonies of any kind. Most of the reports involved property thefts from homes, businesses or construction sites.

Capt. Monty Craig of the Lancaster County Sheriff's Office said construction crime and crimes against businesses make up the majority of the sheriff's calls in the Panhandle. Out of 10 burglaries and thefts reported in April, more than half were from construction sites or businesses.

One burglary was reported at an occupied home on Henry Harris Road in April, but Craig said that is unusual.

It continues in the mein and it was comforting. I have been doing my homework. We went and looked at the indian land schools and I was a little dissapointed in the condition (the high school looks very shoddy) but they said that they are building a new highschool. the elementary and middle school are together and that school looks a little worn but they say that they will be going like gang busters with all this development and the tax money will help improve.

we are getting exited about the potential of this place. My husband works for a ew home builder and word is that this place is going to explode as far as getting in new stores and schools and improvments. We found possibly a new house! On a culdasac (spelling?) we were looking in union and waxhaw but this may be it. Thanks for the info ilovethecarolinas! I wanna go see builtmore in the fall

Old 05-31-2006, 09:16 AM

We were looking in Waxhaw too and found Fort Mill. area.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 AM

8 posts, read 21,893 times
My family is moving to the Fort Mill area as well. We're so excited. We've been looking at other areas, such as Waxhaw and Matthews, but always come back to Fort Mill. For the schools mostly, but the low crime rate is a definite plus. Small town here we come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties