Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 02:17 PM

18 posts, read 51,308 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Is Comporium the only telephone company offering local services? Also, are they the only ones offering cable? Any feedback on this company would be greatly appreciated. What are your thoughts on Satellite vs Cable in the area?
Thanks as always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:22 PM

280 posts, read 949,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southfloridian View Post
Hi there! Is Comporium the only telephone company offering local services? Also, are they the only ones offering cable? Any feedback on this company would be greatly appreciated. What are your thoughts on Satellite vs Cable in the area?
Thanks as always!
I don't know about the competition, and it probably varies depending on exactly where you are living, but we have had Comporium phone and Cable for a while and I have loved it. The cable internet was very reliable and the phone service seemed good as well. Comporium offers good services and features.

Keep in mind that the neighborhood in which I have experience was a new development maybe 5 or 6 years ago, so the infrastructure is fairly new. Things may be different in some older or more rural neighborhoods.

EDIT: I was referring to my parents home in Fort Mill off Doby's Bridge Road. I lived there full time for a few years in High School and off and on for the last 4 years in college.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 AM

107 posts, read 320,108 times
I'm about to close on my property in Indian Land and discovered that my neighbor has Time Warner which should offer all three of the services (cable, internet, phone). However, when I called them they told me that they didn't know if they were active in the area. Instead of going through the hassle of tracking down someone who knows that the service is live in my area I went to Comporium. I only wanted internet service so it wasn't too much of a hassle to get my account setup. The one thing that did surprise me was a real person initially took my call and then transferred me to the person who established my account. I'm so used to the automated operator that it took me by surprise.

The downside to Comproium is that they have gig limits on the amount of data you can download. I use Netflix so I have to limit the amount of movies I can watch at home. It's not horrible, I do know that others such as Time Warner's Road Runner service is exploring the option and will probably establish it as well. Overall, the prices are the same so I will see in a few months who I like better.

I have Satellite for my TV and Vonage for my phone service. I don't find anything on the major channels that's worth watching so I get the HD family package and it has served me well. Vonage has been great and I've personally had very little to complain about. Hope some of that info helps.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 PM

18 posts, read 51,308 times
Thank you! Your responses are greatly appreciated. We found a great plan with Comporium where we can bundle internet, cable and phone (we need three lines since my husband and I both work from home).
Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:50 AM

151 posts, read 571,981 times
Working from home seems to be more and more common these days. I also work from home.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,011 times
I know you said you got a plan from comporium. However, we moved here 8 years ago from PA and everyone said use comporium. From day one, we had constant issues with the internet. We had to have service come out quite a bit, had to have two new routers, ect. Our cable would go out for no reason several times and when I called they would always say work was being done in our area and should be back on soon. About two years ago, we switched everything to Time Warner. When we called, they said they did not know if they serviced our area (live in Indianland but on Ft Mill side) It took about two weeks for them to come out and figure out that other people on my street have Time Warner. We have been very happy with them and have not had many issues with them. Just some thoughts to keep in mind in case you ever want to switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties