Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:39 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,999,069 times

Advertisements

I am new to natural gas, and a house I just bought in Rock Hill uses the York County Natural Gas for my hot water heater and the forced hot hair. I know a lot of you have lived in the area a while, and probably have used them for quite sometime. What can you tell me about them? Are they typically high when it comes to price per therm? Can you shop around at all for service, or is it a "comporium" type deal?

Were getting charged .92 per therm, which seems kind high. I didnt want to be getting robbed blind without knowing first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 11:48 AM

351 posts, read 658,166 times
We have had gas heat with them for 4 years and I find it to be quite cheap. Our bill so far this winter hasn't run more than $20/month. Have electric for water heater and stove though.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
We have had gas heat with them for 4 years and I find it to be quite cheap. Our bill so far this winter hasn't run more than $20/month. Have electric for water heater and stove though.
Wow.... thats crazy. How many therms a month are you using? Im getting the water heater checked out next week, as theres no way you can pay $20 and im paying $100!

Old 02-16-2016, 09:11 AM

I'm at work and don't have my account number with me to look it up online, but we are in a 1700 square foot townhome and turn our heat to 65 at night and 68 during the day. December was really warm, but the bill I just paid for January was right at $20.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,788,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I am new to natural gas, and a house I just bought in Rock Hill uses the York County Natural Gas for my hot water heater and the forced hot hair. I know a lot of you have lived in the area a while, and probably have used them for quite sometime. What can you tell me about them? Are they typically high when it comes to price per therm? Can you shop around at all for service, or is it a "comporium" type deal?

Were getting charged .92 per therm, which seems kind high. I didnt want to be getting robbed blind without knowing first!
The only local that will rob you blind is Comporium and RH Automotive.

Here are our last 13 gas bills so you can compare last Jan. to this Jan. for heat and water heater.
In reverse order from the bill paid last week:
71.16 January
13.24 October
12.85 April
83.13 January

April through October are low because no heat, only water heater. There is a $5 minimum charge per month.
We set the heat to 74 degrees and we turn it on sometime in November and off in late March. And the heat goes off at 8pm and on at 7am.

Average is $34.67 per month. Since the gas heat is run by electric our electric bill goes up in the winter months.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:50 PM

261 posts, read 481,640 times
Although my bill is a little higher as I use gas for water heater, furnace, range and gas logs, I want to say that I have never (knock on wood) had an issue with YCNG. They have been fantastic and their service people have been very responsive the one time that I needed them. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I hate to say it but I think they are pretty much it when it comes to gas service.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:25 PM

Interesting.... January was quite cold mostly, so I know thats why the bill was higher. I have a 1,300 sq ft house, 400 less than GAPeach, and the bill is much more. How big is your place Howard?

One thing we dont do is turn the heat off or down at night. Some say turning it down, only to turn it back up again costs more energy.

We live right down the street from the office, which is nice I suppose. The lady who set the account up was a bit, odd to say the least.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:47 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,324,214 times
It's a myth that it costs more energy to heat a severely cooled down house (i.e., reducing your temp settings at night).

MYTH: There’s no benefit in adjusting your thermostat when you don’t need heating or cooling…such as at night or when nobody’s home.
Research shows that the longer your house stays at a reduced temperature when heating or at an increased temperature when cooling, the more energy and money you will save. This is because heating and cooling cost depends mostly on the difference between indoor and outdoor temperature. When you adjust the temperature down in the winter or up in the summer, you simply reduce this temperature difference. In fact, setting your temperature back 10 or more degrees for 8 hours while you sleep or go to work can reduce your energy bill by 5-15%. A programmable thermostat can adjust temperatures automatically for you.
(source: Tips - Home Energy Myths Debunked - Heating, Air Conditioning -Furnaces, Air Conditioner, Heat Pump - DE, PA, MD)

We try not to run our heat at night - we have it set to 65 degrees. Same goes for during the days we are not home, or on vacation. In summer, we do not run the a/c when we are not home or on vacation.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:19 AM

Especially with gas heat. It takes no time to heat up a house with gas when you turn it up, whereas with electric a/c it takes a good while to reduce the temp when you lower the thermostat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
It's a myth that it costs more energy to heat a severely cooled down house (i.e., reducing your temp settings at night).

MYTH: There’s no benefit in adjusting your thermostat when you don’t need heating or cooling…such as at night or when nobody’s home.
Research shows that the longer your house stays at a reduced temperature when heating or at an increased temperature when cooling, the more energy and money you will save. This is because heating and cooling cost depends mostly on the difference between indoor and outdoor temperature. When you adjust the temperature down in the winter or up in the summer, you simply reduce this temperature difference. In fact, setting your temperature back 10 or more degrees for 8 hours while you sleep or go to work can reduce your energy bill by 5-15%. A programmable thermostat can adjust temperatures automatically for you.
(source: Tips - Home Energy Myths Debunked - Heating, Air Conditioning -Furnaces, Air Conditioner, Heat Pump - DE, PA, MD)

We try not to run our heat at night - we have it set to 65 degrees. Same goes for during the days we are not home, or on vacation. In summer, we do not run the a/c when we are not home or on vacation.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:47 AM

Just wanted to let you know I got my bill yesterday for the past month and it's $44, 39 therms consumed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties