Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:33 AM

28 posts, read 59,486 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from Ohio and want to know people opinion on Lancaster county Indian Land and York County Fort Mill. Which area would be better to buy a house in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM

186 posts, read 335,160 times
I think everyone is going to need a little more information as to what you are looking for; before anyone could give you an answer as to which is the better area for you to buy a house.

Psy

Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 AM

My husband and I are in our early 40's empty nesters. We are relocating and look for housed in the Fort Mill area. There is a house that we like in River Chase development in Fort Mill. We heard the schools are great, although we dont have kids in school we are wondering if the good school system may be good for the appreciation of the house. We also like a house in Walnut Creek subdivision Indian land. But from what we hear Indian lands school are not as good. Not knowing the area we don't want to make a mistake and buy in the wrong city/county. Any information on the area and the developments would be appreciated.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:32 AM

I also have another thread started with information and questions on it but no one has responded

Old 02-16-2015, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 61,192 times
Hi Kathleen!! Welcome to another Buckeye!! We recently moved to Indian Land from Northeastern Ohio. We also looked in Indian Land and Fort Mill.

We were really surprised to settle in IL as going in and examining everything on paper I was convinced we would live in FM. However after touring the area we decided on IL. FM simply felt too congested with house upon house and lots of traffic issues due to the housing explosion. Yes, the schools don't quite have the stellar reputation as the FM schools - but we have been very happy with them. Since you don't have children then the schools won't be the driving force behind your decision. However as IL continues to grow the schools will also continue to improve by leaps and bounds. I sersiously do not believe that the IL district will have a negative impact on your resale value.

Where is your work located? One of the greatest advantages of Indian Land is the close proximity to the Ballentyne and Blakeney areas. My husband works in Ballentyne and his commute is amazingly easy and quick. Had we chosen FM - his commute would have been much more difficult. Oh - another advantage to IL is that property taxes are currently lower than FM.

Again - welcome to the area. I KNOW you will love it - if only for the improved weather!! This forum was invaluable for me as I had so many questions throughout our relocation process. Therefore I am happy to "pay it forward"

Old 02-16-2015, 12:14 PM

Thank you so much! This really helps a lot. I will need to find a job once we get there and my husband just needs to be near an airport. Do you know anything about the walnut Creek subdivision?
My daughter who will soon be 21 and her boyfriend will be moving with us. She will need to find a beauty salon to work at because she will be graduating cosmetology school and her boyfriend is looking for a nursing home to work in as he will be graduating with his bachelors in healthcare administration and minor in business. they may need to travel to Charlotte. Thank you again for responding to my post this was very helpful. We are excited to make the move away from this weather.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM

23 posts, read 41,141 times
Having lived in the area now for 2 + years, we decided Ft. Mill over Indian Land. Yes, taxes are lower in IL vs. FM. Walnut Creek has plans to build several new homes; I believe their plan is to connect their subdivision between NC and SC eventually. So imagine it will be big complex of many homes. You should think about the type of neighborhood you are looking to grow with, if that is important to you.

Either way, the area all around is growing and you will likely be happier with the move (if only for the weather alone)! Good luck!!

Old 02-16-2015, 02:57 PM

I don't know either of the areas enough to be able to choose. Can you tell me why you chose FM over IL? I want to be in a good neighborhood. Can you describe the FM area and the IL area. And what the main differences are. This is tough to pick a home that we may live i. For the rest of our life, I don't want to make the wrong choice. We will be there in March to look at the area again. Last spring we were in the FM area.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:13 PM

625 posts, read 489,196 times
IL is a lot more rural. Also, though IL is nice, Lancaster Cty (which IL is a part of) as a whole isn't. IL is an unincorporated part of Lancaster Cty. You need to consider that any time you need to do something in regards to the county you'll need to drive into Lancaster, which is at least a 30 minute drive from areas in IL and a not so great area. That may not be a big deal for you, just something to think about.

Fort Mill is more crowded and built up (and getting even more built) and it feels like more of a town. There's a downtown and Main Street and there are some specific shopping areas. It's also closer to 77 and faster access to uptown Charlotte. There are a lot of roads and shopping areas vs. IL is pretty much 521 when it comes to grocery shopping and going to any of the strip malls. We were really turned off by the number of pawn shops and pay day loan places in IL.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I know a few people that live in IL and love it. It was a tad too rural and far from work for us.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Thank you NJCoqui this post really really helped me. My husband is out of town alot for work and I want to feel safe and in a nice community. I want to be in an area that feels more like a town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties