Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,007,186 times

Advertisements

With the rash of new houses being built in Fort Mill, do you feel the value of existing houses/older homes will decline? Or will it increase since the demand of living in Fort Mill is high? Or perhaps the new houses are priced too high? Im currently unhappy with the amount of traffic Im now dealing with, and it will only get worse. While im on a VERY quiet street, it takes forever to get out on 160 and it wont get better. Im wondering if that PLUS the amount of new homes hurts my houses resale value or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,347,265 times
I don't know that it will hurt values much as long as Fort Mill continues to be an area that is sought after by those moving to the area.

I lived in NoVA for years and it had an EXPLOSION of growth. My parents bought a house for $400K in 1990. From 1990-2011 (when they moved) the entire Fairfax County area exploded with so much growth that when I went home to visit them sometimes I didn't know how to get to the store anymore because everything had changed so much (roads moved and/or expanded, new shopping centers galore, *tons* of new neighborhoods). They sold their house in 2011 for more than twice the amount they paid, despite the massive housing growth in the 20 years they lived there and their home being in one of the older neighborhoods.

Some could argue that Charlotte is no DC metro - and that's true. Government and military is a solid employer in NoVA, while Charlotte depends on a much more volatile industry - banking. But I think people will continue to move here to escape the expensive northeast, resulting in high demand for all homes whether old or new.

If you take care of your house, don't let it age poorly, then when you go to sell in the future you'll do well.

As for us, our house has maintained it's value since moving here in 2006, despite all the housing growth, the crash of 2009, the recovery through 2011 and to today. If anything, it has gone up slightly - we feel we could probably list it - and sell at asking - for $20K over what we paid for it in 2006.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:37 AM
H22

42 posts, read 102,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Im currently unhappy with the amount of traffic Im now dealing with, and it will only get worse. While im on a VERY quiet street, it takes forever to get out on 160 and it wont get better.
Are you east or west of I-77? Trying to gain a feel as to where it is so difficult to get onto 160. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 AM

32 posts, read 52,271 times
I think the answer would lie in the price per square foot. If your house is worth say $350k and new homes for the same price are smaller, then I think you would be fine. But if you paid $350k 5 years ago and the same size brand new home is available in large quantity at the same price, I'd be concerned.

I am putting my house on the market in the next 45 days. An advantage I think that I have is the fact that they aren't building any more homes in TC at my price point. My competition is the pre-exisitng homes and there just aren't that many for sale at my price point.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:13 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,006,011 times
I think the people in the Waterstone and Knightsbridge subs will do pretty good - a lot of the homes being built are 300k + and there is a huge shortage of homes around 240k. I know in Waterstone people are constantly posting on the FB group if anyone is thinking of selling their house.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I think the people in the Waterstone and Knightsbridge subs will do pretty good - a lot of the homes being built are 300k + and there is a huge shortage of homes around 240k. I know in Waterstone people are constantly posting on the FB group if anyone is thinking of selling their house.
Both of those subdivisions you listed have homes in a wide variety of sizes - they are not cookie-cutter "one size fits all." W'stone has townhomes between 1500-2300 sq ft, and single family homes from 2300-2800 sq ft. Likewise, Knightsbridge has a variety of ranch homes, two story homes and even some that have full finished basements for another level of living space. As a result, these two neighborhoods have a wide range of pricing as well - as low as $120K in Waterstone for a townhome and as high as $325K for a two story with full basement in K'bridge.

As such, I think your price point of $240K is a good median for those two neighborhoods *combined*, but just wanted to point out that the homes in both neighborhoods vary greatly so that people reading this thread from out of state don't come in expecting EVERY home in those neighborhoods to be price at $240K.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:11 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,007,186 times
Im east of I-77, right behind the park.

My house was built in 82, its 1100 sq ft, 3 bedroom 1 bath. It had a lot of work done to it prior, plus I did some as well. Im not saying im 100% keen on selling, but with the traffic issues and such, it might be time to find a better location. If I need to go south to Rock Hill, its simple, but getting to Harris Teeter is a pain.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:12 AM

110 posts, read 161,533 times
Interesting question. One I have pondered as well.

I have noticed on these boards though, that people looking to move here often mention things like wanting brick, mature trees, a little space from their neighbors, solid construction, etc. Most of the new neighborhoods don't meet those requirements. I'm not saying people won't move into them - clearly they are. I'm just saying I believe there will always be people who don't want that. Homes in my 25 yr old neighborhood sell as fast as they hit the market. Not too worried.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbmallory View Post
Interesting question. One I have pondered as well.

I have noticed on these boards though, that people looking to move here often mention things like wanting brick, mature trees, a little space from their neighbors, solid construction, etc. Most of the new neighborhoods don't meet those requirements. I'm not saying people won't move into them - clearly they are. I'm just saying I believe there will always be people who don't want that. Homes in my 25 yr old neighborhood sell as fast as they hit the market. Not too worried.
Same here.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 PM

28 posts, read 31,539 times
It depends. If they overbuild, and there aren't enough buyers to finish out the subdivisions, we could be in trouble. That is exactly what happened in the Phoenix suburbs. The builders came in and opened up a gazillion new neighborhoods, and by the time they got to their 3rd and 4th phases, buyers started drying up. They lowered prices, and buyers could buy brand new construction for the same price as a home that was 5-10 years old. Builders also offer great incentives through their preferred lenders; things like "Free Granite Countertops" and other goodies to attract buyers. Sorry to be a negative nelly; I personally think Fort Mill is long overdue for some real appreciation in values, and I hope they don't overestimate the number of people who want to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties