Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 14,108 times

Advertisements

Just purchased 5 acres in lancaster county SC. Currently there is a septic system, electricity and well with an old single wide manufactured home (1987 Oakwood) However it is not habitable in my humble opinion.
I need some advise on a couple of things.....questions:

Has anyone ever hooked up the septic and water and electric to a travel trailer for temp. use while building a homesite? Will the county allow this?
What is the process for getting electric turned on?

Does anyone know what my best option is for removal of this singlewide.
I am thinking about demolishing it for scrap. I realize thats a lot of work for a little bit of money or the other option is to post it on craigslist for free to whomever will hall it away. It has some value to someone and could be fixed and repaired but I just want it removed.

My immediate goal is to have a travel trailer on the property and tap into the existing septic and well and be able to stay there on weekends while building a small 2bedroom 2 bath home. I want to then use the septic system and well for the new home when its completed.

I am new at this . Have always lived in a subdivision so this is a big step
Any advise or thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:42 PM

78 posts, read 144,740 times
I'm sure a TT would be considered a mobile home, but I would just call the county and ask.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
I know when we owned land in York County we investigated this possibility when planning to build, and YORK County said no. The trailer would be considered a domicile.

Just call the county - you'll get a fast answer, I'm sure.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:52 AM

564 posts, read 1,453,511 times
I know people that have done this in Lancaster County. It was about 5 years ago and they were in the trailer about 6 months.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:10 PM

110 posts, read 159,907 times
I see people living in travel trailers all over the area. There are a few directly behind the Wal-Mart in Tega Cay and several more in a community on 160 across from Zoar Road. I'm not sure what the exact laws are, but these folks surely are in obvious locations if they are doing something illegal....

Old 12-30-2014, 11:10 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbmallory View Post
I see people living in travel trailers all over the area. There are a few directly behind the Wal-Mart in Tega Cay and several more in a community on 160 across from Zoar Road. I'm not sure what the exact laws are, but these folks surely are in obvious locations if they are doing something illegal....
Yes, people can live in trailers, but they cannot live in trailers on their property while they are also BUILDING a home. At least, not in York County.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 PM

78 posts, read 144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Yes, people can live in trailers, but they cannot live in trailers on their property while they are also BUILDING a home. At least, not in York County.
I'm not saying that it is legal, but their are several in the Lesslie area that I now of that are staying in the homes while they are "rennovating and rebuilding". One is at a home fire site and the other is where a car drove through a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties