Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:25 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,997,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
I can run speed test from home and mattering on which location that I tell it to run the test from I get anywhere from a low of 4mps to a high of just under 25mps (I have the 25mps cable plan). A lot matters on the traffic going to and from that location and the time of day.
If I'm supposed to get around 25, but am only getting 4 without anyone in the house using Internet, I would be calling Comporium to complain. That is barely enough to even watch Netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 09:31 AM

186 posts, read 336,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
If I'm supposed to get around 25, but am only getting 4 without anyone in the house using Internet, I would be calling Comporium to complain. That is barely enough to even watch Netflix.
Well 1st question would be what plan are you on? i.e. Cable or Fiber and then what speed?

The 2nd question is does this happen all the time? or just between 5pm and 11pm? And is it just with Netflix?

If it is just Netflix; it more than likely is not a Comporium problem and the problem is the fact that everyone else is also streaming Netflix to their home and there is not enough bandwidth available to push it out to everyone at their full connection speed. Most ISP have trouble with Netflix and very few will have an average connection speed over 4 or 5 mbps. See USA ISP Speed Index Results| Netflix ISP Speed Index

So getting 4 mbps connection with Netflix is about normal.

Quote:
Oh, I agree on the subjective tests. However, I am able to discern a noticeable increase in speed while downloading steam games (typically 10+ gigs) which went from about 3+ hours to about 30-45 mins. Yeah, I think that's a noticeable real world difference

Whatever they did I'm loving it. What I'm not loving is paying the piper come contract renewal time
Yep having Fiber will make a difference compared to having a cable connection. Even if we were both at 50mpbs connections; you should end up seeing better through put and ping times being connected via Fiber over my cable connection. The one downside to where we moved is that it was not a neighborhood connected via Fiber.

I'll agree with you; when the 1 year contract expires; the pain will be great (I think the normal cost of the 100mbps fiber plan is over $100 a month).

Psy

Old 12-23-2014, 01:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,985,620 times
Quote:
If you change your Wi-Fi router; you will have to set up the PS3 to use the new router. So after the new router is installed and setup; you would have to then go to the PS3; and have it see the new router; and have it connect by typing in the password. Once this is done you should be good to go. Psy
That is what bothers me, the PS3 has been set up so long I don't recall the password. We have the Belkin router password protected and I do have that password.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
After we switched to the combined modem/router by Comporium, we had trouble streaming Netflix on our TVs. We also couldn't use our Roku effectively and we'd lost connection altogether on our laptops.

In word: TERRIBLE.

I called Comporium to complain since we have an upgraded account already, and the woman admitted that the modem/router combos are awful and she recommended we hook our router up and use the new box only as a modem.
Girl, so you got the new modem and it is still capable of using a router even though the new modem has built-in Wi-Fi?

Thanks to everyone for the replies and help. Change is difficult when one gets old.

Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 PM

186 posts, read 336,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
That is what bothers me, the PS3 has been set up so long I don't recall the password. We have the Belkin router password protected and I do have that password.

Girl, so you got the new modem and it is still capable of using a router even though the new modem has built-in Wi-Fi?

Thanks to everyone for the replies and help. Change is difficult when one gets old.

Merry Christmas to all.
The password that the PS3 uses to connect to the router is the one that you know since you do have that password.

The big thing is to just tell Comporium you just want the cable modem and not the one with built in Wi-Fi.

Psy

Old 12-24-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
The password that the PS3 uses to connect to the router is the one that you know since you do have that password.

The big thing is to just tell Comporium you just want the cable modem and not the one with built in Wi-Fi.

Psy
Thanks Psy, the letter says it's no charge but if it's not connected in two weeks from the date it's received there will be a charge. That is why I was trying to get myself organized to install it prior to the two week period.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:43 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,315,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post

Merry Christmas to all.
The rep told me to connect the new combo modem to my external router and then hit "reset" on everything. she said the external router would supersede the internal one on the combo box.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
The rep told me to connect the new combo modem to my external router and then hit "reset" on everything. she said the external router would supersede the internal one on the combo box.
Thanks Girl, okey dokey if I disappear from the life of City Data you will know ... old CW screwed up!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,876 times
I just moved from Comporium fiber to Comporium cable modem, and I am not very happy (obviously) I took the Arris wifi router, turned off the wifi and set it to bridged mode then plugged it into my router. This makes it pass the internet straight through to my router as if the Comporium device does not exist. I HAD to do this, because the wifi only worked if you were in the room with the router, step out of the room and the wireless connection would drop to 4Mb/s (not speedtest, the actual wifi connection speed between any device and the router) and then even lower if yo umoved too far away. also, even though my cell phone showed 4 out of 5 bars on the connection, it could not connect to the wifi from my back yard, approx 30m away. Please note the room the router is in is only 9'x11' so it is not an acceptable drop off rate at >10'.

check the device when you get it and call up to complain if it does not work as expected. I had almost no problems when on fiber, but again, at the time I was the only person in my neighborhood using it for over 6 months (new construction with the fiber already in the walls during construction). Both then and now I use Dish for my TV service, so you can rule out the TV channels using up my bandwidth for some strange reason, also, I only had 2 wifi devices connected at the time I had those issues with the Arris Cable modem wifi router.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:16 PM
H22

42 posts, read 101,928 times
So what communities/areas receive the Comporium fiber product?

Old 12-25-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePumpkinDuke View Post
I just moved from Comporium fiber to Comporium cable modem, and I am not very happy (obviously) I took the Arris wifi router, turned off the wifi and set it to bridged mode then plugged it into my router. This makes it pass the internet straight through to my router as if the Comporium device does not exist. I HAD to do this, because the wifi only worked if you were in the room with the router, step out of the room and the wireless connection would drop to 4Mb/s (not speedtest, the actual wifi connection speed between any device and the router) and then even lower if yo umoved too far away. also, even though my cell phone showed 4 out of 5 bars on the connection, it could not connect to the wifi from my back yard, approx 30m away. Please note the room the router is in is only 9'x11' so it is not an acceptable drop off rate at >10'.

check the device when you get it and call up to complain if it does not work as expected. I had almost no problems when on fiber, but again, at the time I was the only person in my neighborhood using it for over 6 months (new construction with the fiber already in the walls during construction). Both then and now I use Dish for my TV service, so you can rule out the TV channels using up my bandwidth for some strange reason, also, I only had 2 wifi devices connected at the time I had those issues with the Arris Cable modem wifi router.
I have the Arris that has been here for years. I assume the new router will be Arris too. Are you saying that I will have the ability to turn off the Wi-Fi and set it to bridged mode. Is this some technical maneuver or will I see a switch to change it to bridged mode?

Many of the new homes have fiber internet connect and I've always heard how much better it was. That is good thing for contractors to include in new homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties