Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 33,529 times

Advertisements

Recently we had a hailstorm on may 23rd in Indian Land/ Fort Mill SC area.

Car -

i had parked my car outside and i do see many dents on the hood/roof and windshield is chipped too
my question is - what does it cost on an average to get the dents and windshield fixed? cause a lot of body shop companies/people are over estimating and i have an appointment with the insurance adjustor and i feel they won't cover or pay out too much.

House Roof -

a lot of folks in my neighborhood are replacing their roof and many company representatives are coming and inspecting the roof for free and saying there is severe damage and the roof replacement cost is 8000 approxmately.

my subdivision is brand new i moved into my new home just 6 months ago brand new construction. my HOA insurance has a $4000 deductible for wind and hail damage and i am wondering a new home that is just 6 months old would require a roof replacement so soon? there are no leaks or anything in the attic.

i have couple of questions - how much does it cost on an average to replace roof by a local contractor who is trustworthy and not one of those out of state companies who promise big things and don't live up to the reputation.
i had the adjustor come over and he said they will pay for the roof but deductible is$ 4000 and on the other hand i called a local person from Angie's list Tru Guard and that person said its normal no major damage to the roof just regular wear and tear from wind.

if i go ahead with the claim and insurance company pays money does the Home owners insurance shoot up $$ significantly? today i pay around 700$ what would it go up to from your experience.

thank you all for responding in advance. i am first time home owner and this hailstorm has got me worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 02:42 PM

564 posts, read 1,454,004 times
My car and house got nailed inthe last storm. Car had 8k worth of damage and I had the standard deductible. They fixed it and you could never tell. Looks as it did the day I bought it. Insurance did not go up one bit.

House had a roof less then a year old and had to be replaced. It was noticable and needed replaced. My advise is use local people. Not the out of state companies that blow through. I know one that has signs up that say remember them?? Yeah they are here but the money goes out of state. We have plenty of good quality poeple in FM and RH who contribute to our tax base 365 days a year. Not just when a storm comes. I saw a line of Mastercraft trucks coming up 77 the day after the storm. Pathetic

Old 06-05-2014, 07:31 AM

261 posts, read 480,330 times
We had major damage from the hailstorm back in April of 2011. My car was totaled so unfortunately I had to buy a new one. My husband's truck received damage and it was about 3,500 to fix. Our roof and siding needed replacing as well.

My suggestion is to go with what the insurance adjuster says, not the roofing companies' reps. Of course, the roofing companies are going to tell you you need a new roof. If the adjuster says you need a new roof, most likely you do. It doesn't matter the age of the home. Ours was only 5 years old but, because of the severity of the damage, we needed a new roof. We had tennis ball sized hail and you could see the pits in the shingles from it hitting the roof.

If you can do so, wait to get your roof and car repaired. We waited almost 8 months to get our roof and siding repaired. My husband waited almost that long to get his truck repaired. The insurance company paid us and we just sat on the money until we did our research and found two companies that were local and had great Angie's List ratings. We were satisfied with both.

Our insurance didn't go up at all, but we have USAA and have been with them for over 20 years and that was our first ever homeowner's claim. Hopefully, your insurance will be just as good.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 AM

564 posts, read 1,454,004 times
^^ And you think the insurance adjuster is not as biased as the roofers? I know someone who had hail damage in the 2011 and the adjuster only approved the back half of the roof for replacement when the roofer was saying a total replacement. 9 months later the front was leaking in two spots that the roofer specifically pointed out. Do your do diligence and research a roofer. The BBB will have tons of info especially after the 2011 storm when a ton of people got scammed.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM

261 posts, read 480,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
^^ And you think the insurance adjuster is not as biased as the roofers? I know someone who had hail damage in the 2011 and the adjuster only approved the back half of the roof for replacement when the roofer was saying a total replacement. 9 months later the front was leaking in two spots that the roofer specifically pointed out. Do your do diligence and research a roofer. The BBB will have tons of info especially after the 2011 storm when a ton of people got scammed.
Everyone is biased when money is in the mix.

I think the general consensus to our OP, who is also a first time homeowner, is to not rush into anything and to be diligent in both action and selection of roofer or any other contractor.

That is unfortunate about your friend, but I, personally, would not have accepted only half of my roof being replaced.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:46 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times
I was in la la land in 2011 when the hail storm was so bad. Neighbors roofs were damaged and we didn't even think about ours. No auto damage. Next door neighbor walked over with the guy doing his roof and he asked if we wanted him to look at our roof. He got on the roof and took pictures and gave them to us. I called our insurance company and got an adjuster out and the whole roof had to be replaced. We have a $500.00 deductible and that was what we paid. I sure would hate to have to pay a $4,000.00 deductible.

We talked with the adjuster and he was familiar with the roofer doing all the neighbors roofs and said, you won't have any problems with that company. We have worked with them for years.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,359 times
Avoid those that show up on your doorstep. Be sure they install shingles per your Home Owners Associations specifications such as architectural shingles if required. Get two or more quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
View detailed profiles of: