Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,843 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a family law attorney who will offer a free consultation. I would like to speak with a few lawyers before plunking down any cash to best weigh the options on who would be best for my case.

Also - if anyone has any knowledge of what the visitation/parental rights are for a sex offender, it would be greatly appreciated.

My case: My son is 8. His father hasn't been around since he was 1, and very limited before that. When my son was born, my ex had a job here waiting on him and a place to stay with me. After two weeks, he moved back to Whiteville NC (3.5 hrs away from here) because his best friend wanted him back "home."... Well, my son is on medicaid and DSS scheduled a hearing for yesterday. He showed up and made it known he was going to go next door and file for visitation. Now - my sons father is a sex offender. He slept with a 13 y/o girl, got caught, went to jail for 90 days, probation for 3 years, and has to register for 10 years. This happened when my son was 1. He has to register until October 2016. What ended our relationship was the fact that pot and popping pills was more important to him than a family. Since we split up in 2006, we have heard from him a handfull of times - mostly to call and threaten me or cause issues. Never has he called to check on my son, say happy birthday, merry Christmas, nothing. When my son was 1, I met my husband. He stepped into the daddy role that my ex stepped out of. My son doesn't know my ex - he has always known my husband ad daddy -- He's been there to help with homework, get up in the middle of the night when he's been sick, teach him how to fish, play ball, work on cars, etc... Well after the hearing yesterday, he walked over to the building to file the papers. If he did indeed do it, I don't know. But I believe the only reason he is doing this is because he is now on the hook for $319 a month in child support - if this case wasn't brought against him by DSS we probably would have never heard from him again. During the case, he attempted to make a scene - slamming hands on the table, saying I kept my son from him... Well - my phone number and address has been the same since he and I were together. However, I had no phone number for him and he bounces around from family member to family member, staying with each for a while before moving on - so I have no idea where he would be. Plus - his family had gotten kicked out of their last house and I had no clue where he would have went to. His family is another reason I have a major issue with this - His mom smokes pot and pops pills like he does, and his sister is a known coke addict and has done whatever drugs she comes across in her path... What I would like to do is block visitation all together and have parental rights stripped - as it is not in the best interest of my son right now. He would be completely confused and scared with everything going on - especially if he's granted visitation where he could pick him up and leave with him. I can count on one hand how many times he seen my son in the first year he was born - He's never given a dime to help out with him, never been there for any of his milestones, never asked how he was doing, nothing. To be honest, I'm scared for my son to be around him, not knowing what he would try to pull, what he would say to my son, and scared to have him around his family.

If anyone has any advice or help on this, or any responses to my questions above - it would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP31112 View Post
I'm looking for a family law attorney who will offer a free consultation. I would like to speak with a few lawyers before plunking down any cash to best weigh the options on who would be best for my case.

Also - if anyone has any knowledge of what the visitation/parental rights are for a sex offender, it would be greatly appreciated.

Well after the hearing yesterday, he walked over to the building to file the papers. If he did indeed do it, I don't know.

If anyone has any advice or help on this, or any responses to my questions above - it would be greatly appreciated.
^^^snipped

When one's child is involved in times like this you just want to go out and hire a hitman and make the problem go away.

Connie Payne handled my daughter's divorce, but I don't know if she offers free consultations, I know she is expensive now. I looked in the RH/FM telephone book and there is a long list of Family Law attorneys and hope someone on the forum can suggest attorneys for you to see that offers a free consultation.

Have you gone to the building where he filed the papers to see if he really did file? Or have you been served with any papers from DSS regarding his visitation rights? Also if he is a registered sex offender he has to be in the records somewhere. Did you check the NC sex offender list. It's against the law if they don't register when they move. If he did file papers for visitation he might not have given them his sex offender status.

I am sorry I am not much help. I hope this works out for you and your son.

National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog

United States Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public Website

North Carolina Offender Registry

Old 05-29-2014, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,843 times
If he did file papers, I doubt he informed him of his status. I'm thinking about going up there to see if he did file, and if so informing them of his status and seeing if there are any forms I can file against him. He would have filed yesterday, so I doubt I'd hear anything for a few weeks... Yes, he is on the NC sex offender list. I keep a watch on it - they don't update it very often actually. It took them forever to update with his new address before. He uses his moms address but doesn't actually stay there. He bounces from relative to relative and friend to friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties