Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 09:53 PM

66 posts, read 130,413 times

Advertisements

I noticed that they were constructing some sort of large sign at the Carowinds exit. Anyone know what it is? Is it possibly something like they have at Dave Lyle Exit? That looks so nice there, I wish Fort Mill would put those in. Just looks classy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:22 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
York County residents got to vote on which sign we wanted. Here is a link to the three signs presented. Only 635 people voted out of the entire county! But at least my option won.

I sincerely hope more people in York County will vote in the June 10 primaries. Voting in small elections or signs may seem not worth the time, but this is when your vote really counts. When I pass that sign, I will be able to smile, that's my sign I voted for it.

https://www.yorkcountygov.com/_fileU...ion%281%29.pdf

Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 AM

218 posts, read 523,093 times
Was it option B that won? This will be nice to look at on the ride home from work each day.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:11 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
When was the vote? I try to vote every time something comes around but I missed this one, somehow!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 AM

100 posts, read 213,122 times
Well looks like the project was supposed to be completed a year ago so it has been awhile since they had people vote.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Projects:

Exit 90 Gateway Sign Project:

Exit 90, the access between I-77, SC 51, and Carowinds Boulevard (US 21), is a major gateway into South Carolina from North Carolina, and it offers a first impression of the Palmetto State and York County to many driving south on I-77. Unfortunately, the impression that most get is not representative of York County or the State of South Carolina. During the York County Planning and Development Services Exit 90 Master Plan Study, it was discovered that most stakeholders maintain a positive vision for the Exit 90 / Carowinds Boulevard area and understand that despite its present state, the gateway area offers excellent long-term development potential. In addition, many recognized that although there are issues, there are also many assets providing considerable opportunities to improve the aesthetics, functionality, and economic conditions in the area.

On January 13, 2012, York County was awarded grant funding in the amount of $100,000 (20% or $20,000 local match) from the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SC DOT) through the Transportation Enhancement Program (TEP) for the Exit 90 Gateway Enhancement Project. It should also be noted that in July, 2012 York County signed the Project Participation Agreement and paid the $20,000 local match from District 1 C funds.

Following the formal grant award, staff solicited local stakeholder groups to participate in the Exit 90 Gateway Sign Steering Committee with the goal of creating a formal and aesthetically pleasing gateway into York County and the State of South Carolina. The group was made up of representatives from several organizations including: Keep York County Beautiful, Master Gardeners of York County, Arrowood Business Association, York County CVB, Tega Cay, and Carowinds. Through a series of several meetings held over a five (5) month period, the committee recommended a number of design options to be presented to SCDOT for review and approval. Ultimately, the selections were narrowed down to three options, which were advertised and presented for public input in the form of an online preference survey, press releases within the Rock Hill Herald and Fort Mill Times and a drop-in public open house held on November 29, 2012, at the York County (Baxter) Library in Fort Mill.

Staff collected over 600 surveys from the public and are pleased to announce that Option "B" (Shown below) is the overwhelming preferred option. The results of the surveys and preferred selection were presented to the County Council at their February 4, 2013 Meeting. For further information regarding schedule please review the Exit 90 Presentation or call Steve Allen, Planning Services Manager at 803-909-7223.

Planning

https://www.yorkcountygov.com/_fileU...SignDesign.pdf

Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
I hope Option C won.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM

I got online to late to see this or I would have called the York County Planning Dept to see which one won. It appears by the votes Option B received 63% but the picture depicted is Option A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
When was the vote? I try to vote every time something comes around but I missed this one, somehow!
I don't recall the date but it was announced in the Herald and Heraldonline, plus other area newspapers, the York County Gov website and I think CN2 might have mentioned the voting site. I am sorry you missed it, I should have posted it here on the forum but I always feel like nobody pays any attention to me anyway. LOL

I am happy to see you vote, things like this is really the only time our vote counts. Local elections and darn signs is about all we have much say-so in anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I hope Option C won.
I liked Option C ok, but I voted for Option B because C was sort of small and I didn't like Option A it appeared too big and I could imagine some drunk driver roaring into Option A late at night.

But the announcement is sort of screwed up, I will call the Planning Dept tomorrow and see which sign won.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post

On January 13, 2012, York County was awarded grant funding in the amount of $100,000 (20% or $20,000 local match) from the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SC DOT) through the Transportation Enhancement Program (TEP) for the Exit 90 Gateway Enhancement Project. It should also be noted that in July, 2012 York County signed the Project Participation Agreement and paid the $20,000 local match from District 1 C funds.
Not knocking the sign and the Carowinds Corridor but the matching funds came from District 1 C Funds. I am sure most of you know C Fund money is the allocated gasoline tax each district receives for road repairs/pot holes, pavings. The Hospitality tax dollars could have been used there is plenty of that.

The signs are great but the area needs to be cleaned up, a sign won't help until the landowners do something too.

I feel the same way when I cross the new bridge on old Hwy 21 into Rock Hill. Riverwalk is beautiful, we have been to the Veledrome, league races started back this month. But North Cherry Road between the bridge and Pet Smart needs to be spruced up.

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 05-21-2014 at 11:11 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 10:54 AM

I just called the Planning Department and the winner is Option B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties