Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:13 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,349,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Bi-Lo will be around for years to come, just not many stores in the Charlotte area. Food Lion should be fine, as theyve closed several stores, so they arent oversaturated, and they remain as the lone "discount grocery store". Food Lion seems to compete with the likes of Wal-Mart. Food Lion customers probably dont go to HT or Publix.
Unfortunately I think Food Lion is losing out to Walmart, Aldi, and the smaller Walmart Neighborhood Market. And Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie is hanging on in smaller towns where there is less direct competion with Walmart, HT, and Publix. But I think eventually they could be bought out by Kroger or someone else when the price is right. Food Lion attempted a buyout but that failed, so ultimately Bi-Lo merged with Winn Dixie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Bi-Lo will be around for years to come, just not many stores in the Charlotte area. Food Lion should be fine, as theyve closed several stores, so they arent oversaturated, and they remain as the lone "discount grocery store". Food Lion seems to compete with the likes of Wal-Mart. Food Lion customers probably dont go to HT or Publix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Unfortunately I think Food Lion is losing out to Walmart, Aldi, and the smaller Walmart Neighborhood Market. And Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie is hanging on in smaller towns where there is less direct competion with Walmart, HT, and Publix. But I think eventually they could be bought out by Kroger or someone else when the price is right. Food Lion attempted a buyout but that failed, so ultimately Bi-Lo merged with Winn Dixie.
Many find it difficult to believe Bi-Lo and Food Lion will be fine in the years ahead. If you are going for competition with focus on price, Walmart beats Bi-Lo and Food Lion. If you are going for a focus on quality, Harris Teeter and Publix dominates.

Bi-Lo did acquire several stores from Piggly Wiggly Carolina. Several of those stores are going to need major upgrades if they intend to remain open (i.e. addition of pharmacy departments). Bi-Lo is also in a good position in the event its parent company, now Southeastern Grocers, is to be acquired by another major supermarket chain like Kroger.

Food Lion has been running in circles and seeing fewer stores in operations. Until they find a clear direction to move forward, nothing will change for them.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:06 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,228 times
Wal-Mart & Aldi doesnt have fuel perks or any types of rewards. Plus more and more people hate the fact Wal-Mart is so big and large, couples with their restocking issues, smaller grocery stores are winning. Perhaps a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market could do better at that.

Bi-LO & Winn Dixie have been investing in select stores every year. I believe they are targeting 8 stores a year for remodels.

Wal-Mart will always try and dominate, but I believe they are #3 in the grocery market in the Charlotte region.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
The Bi-Lo's that are closing had 50% off all items earlier this week and 75% off since then, and they close the doors for good Sunday at 7pm.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Wal-Mart & Aldi doesnt have fuel perks or any types of rewards. Plus more and more people hate the fact Wal-Mart is so big and large, couples with their restocking issues, smaller grocery stores are winning. Perhaps a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market could do better at that.

Bi-LO & Winn Dixie have been investing in select stores every year. I believe they are targeting 8 stores a year for remodels.

Wal-Mart will always try and dominate, but I believe they are #3 in the grocery market in the Charlotte region.
Bi-Lo's remodeling plans are on hold. The acquisition of Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay from Delhaize America are pending approval because of antitrust laws. If approved, the sale will be final in first quarter 2014. Sweetbay will banner to Winn Dixie. Reid's will banner to Bi-Lo with select stores closing for coexisting (Aiken, Bateburg-Leesville, Hampton, Orangeburg).

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The Bi-Lo's that are closing had 50% off all items earlier this week and 75% off since then, and they close the doors for good Sunday at 7pm.
Several stores that are sold to Publix were Winn Dixie stores when Bi-Lo acquired them in 2005. One wonders if Bi-Lo plans to leave the Charlotte area for good through selling stores or being acquired by another competitor in time.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:57 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,010,765 times
[quote=DaysofThundr46;31637457

Same with Bi-Lo. Publix wanted to make a big run at the area. Im sure they went to Bi-Lo and made them aware they were going to expand. Bi-Lo knew they wouldnt be able to compete head to head, and didnt want to go down the same road Food Lion went. Bi-Lo also knew Piggly Wiggly and Belle Foods was having money issues, so why not expand into areas where Publix isnt using the money Publix gave you to buy the 7 stores? It makes perfect business sense. Bi-Lo could of lasted a few years and then lost money and had to shutter stores the hard way. This way, they got a infusion of cash, got some nice properties on the coast and elsewhere in smaller towns, and wont be head to head with Publix.

I know some people just dont understand that, but its the game thats going to be played. Harris Teeter will step up their game 10 fold once Kroger buys them out, and Publix will refuse to back down. It will be an all out grocery war, while Bi-Lo took the high road and will watch from a far.[/quote]

BI-LO has been competing with Publix head to head since 1995 in Greenville SC (Bilo's home turf until they acquired Winn Dixie and moved the Bilo HQ to Jacksonville last year).

Publix has close to a dozen stores in the Greenville SC area and around 17 in the upstate area of SC. Bilo has competed against them all this time and have have not really shuttered many stores. I think they just wanted to pull back their footprint out of Charlotte because of so many competitors there(HT, FoodLion, Walmart, Target and future Publix)

Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM
912 912 started this thread

1,531 posts, read 3,099,518 times
^ Publix fights head to head vs. BI-LO all over SC (Greenville, Columbia, Charleston...and coming soon, the Grand Strand), so your assertion above makes little sense. Plus there's more competition in Charleston than Charlotte.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
BI-LO has been competing with Publix head to head since 1995 in Greenville SC (Bilo's home turf until they acquired Winn Dixie and moved the Bilo HQ to Jacksonville last year).

Publix has close to a dozen stores in the Greenville SC area and around 17 in the upstate area of SC. Bilo has competed against them all this time and have have not really shuttered many stores. I think they just wanted to pull back their footprint out of Charlotte because of so many competitors there(HT, FoodLion, Walmart, Target and future Publix)
Publix currently has 16 locations in upstate South Carolina (two in Anderson County, ten in Greenville County, two in Pickens County, two in Spartanburg County). As Greenwood County is included in the upstate, the new Greenwood location will be 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
^ Publix fights head to head vs. BI-LO all over SC (Greenville, Columbia, Charleston...and coming soon, the Grand Strand), so your assertion above makes little sense. Plus there's more competition in Charleston than Charlotte.
Indeed, there is a lot competition in Charleston. Excluding Walmart and Piggly Wiggly Carolina, you have Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Harris Teeter and Publix, your same participants in Charlotte. Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market will be increasing their presence. Bi-Lo and Food Lion will continue to reduce stores in those markets.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:23 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
Lowes was the last one to leave and the one Bloom on 21 became a Food Lion.
Who will be the next to leave the county?

Walmart will never leave. Publix is coming into the area. Compare Foods and Aldi will now have to fight the Cherry Rd. Publix for dollars.
I don't know why Harris Teeter needs two stores between Gold Hill and Pleasant on 160.

With all the promotions and sales, Teeter and Bi-Lo are still our #1 and #2.
Actually getting a good deal at Food Lion this week. If anyone likes pizza, send me a direct message for details.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Lowes was the last one to leave and the one Bloom on 21 became a Food Lion.
Who will be the next to leave the county?

Walmart will never leave. Publix is coming into the area. Compare Foods and Aldi will now have to fight the Cherry Rd. Publix for dollars.
I don't know why Harris Teeter needs two stores between Gold Hill and Pleasant on 160.

With all the promotions and sales, Teeter and Bi-Lo are still our #1 and #2.
Actually getting a good deal at Food Lion this week. If anyone likes pizza, send me a direct message for details.
Bi-Lo or Food Lion will be the first two to leave. Food Lion has shortcomings that will cause more locations to close. Bi-Lo is struggling in Charlotte and has nine stores remaining in western North Carolina, another struggling market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties