Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 PM

41 posts, read 50,148 times

Advertisements

Both Publix stores allow you to order deli meats, cheeses, sandwiches online in advance of your visit to the store. It's a very nice system that I use a lot, works great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,106,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
I like Publix for the fact that they have a lot of things that HT does not, and the quality of Publix meats and produce are better, while having a better selection of soaps and personal care things. However, I think HT has better sales.

My biggest gripe with both stores is the deli. Coming from the north more than a year ago, I've been very surprised that any trip to a deli takes me at least 30 min. -- to the point I've walked away (BOTH stores). Not one has instituted a kiosk system where you order your meat when you walk in ... do your shopping ... and return to find that order in the refrigerator case. As of late, a manager at HT said they were in a "trial" session are various stores with this system, and they will be instituting it within a Tega Cay store soon (my location).

Why these stores do not cut the meat (sliced and shaved) ahead of time on days that the deli is the busiest (SUNDAY!) is beyond me. If people want a "special" type of slice, that is fine to request, but most people are fine with a standard slice or shave. If they don't do that, then for crying out loud, I wish they would put out a measurement stick that tells people what the width of the meat they slice will look like so they don't have to ask someone every two minutes if they like it sliced a certain way. Quality, efficiency, and labor cost savings can be delivered, but they haven't figured it out yet.

^This is a dumb idea! How would I know the meat is cut how I want it? What if I sample that first slice & decide I don't care for the taste? Sorry, the mistake here is that YOU choose to shop on Sundays! Go when it's not as busy. Or go back north...this sounds like a stupid idea from back up that way.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM

10 posts, read 16,001 times
My wife has done some serious comparison shopping between Harris Teeter and Publix. We have found that for most products, Publix is actually cheaper and is more likely to have sales. The publix is very nice, clean, friendly people, etc. They do not accept coupons from non-direct competitors (i.e. Target). For my family and I, grocery shopping is not about getting the best products available...as most of the time the Publix and Harris Teeter brands are made by the same company....we are about getting the most quality for our money and Publix offers that to us.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:20 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,315,344 times
To cleveburg: my husband regularly shops at the deli counters at both HT and Publix and has not mentioned any problems with long, slow lines. And yes, he's gone on Sundays from time to time; however, he typically goes Saturday mornings - perhaps pick another day/time to see if the line is less time-consuming since you know Sundays are their busiest day?

See what I did there, 912? A much more tactful and polite response. No need to insult an entire region of the country and/or tell a local resident to move away just because they happen to shop on a very busy day of the week.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:49 AM

41 posts, read 50,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
^This is a dumb idea! How would I know the meat is cut how I want it? What if I sample that first slice & decide I don't care for the taste?
You're right, it is stupid. Ashamed that I've used it for these last 10 months. What was I thinking!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,106,849 times
www.publix.com/order

Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM

14,517 posts, read 20,746,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
Teeter fan here too!
Let the whole nation vote.....
Take a look at the top 14.
Who is #3?
Then at the bottom of the page there is a link to the 13 worst.

The 14 best supermarkets in America- MSN Money

Sadly we lost two Bi-Lo's but luckily we kept one Bi-Lo and gained a Publix so we got both chains in addition to Teeter, Food Lion, and the others that shall not be named.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 PM

547 posts, read 776,481 times
Order a sub from the deli at Publix on Gold Hill only if you have nothing else planned for that day. If there's someone ahead of you in line, come back another day. It's that slow.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 AM

14,517 posts, read 20,746,978 times
The list of the best 14 and worst 13 was interesting. Teeter and Aldi made the top 5-6 of the best, Publix just slipped in the bottom of the best.
Food Lion was on the worst list and well down the worst list was Walmart.

Kroger, Bi-Lo, Compare Foods, not on either list.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Order a sub from the deli at Publix on Gold Hill only if you have nothing else planned for that day. If there's someone ahead of you in line, come back another day. It's that slow.
True. The deli in general is extremely slow. At HT, they acknowledge you when you are in line and let you know it will be a wait, Publix just waits until it is your turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties