Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoboe View Post
We are looking at moving from S. Charlotte to the Tega Cay/FM area as well. My concern is that even though the areas are safe with good schools, there isn't jack crap out there in terms of dining or entertainment so you have to go to the Steele Creek area which we do not like (Rivergate isn't too bad) or drive into Charlotte. There are no theaters, bowling alleys, health food stores, chain restaurants (other than fast food), some of the local restaurants are not that great, and any kind of concert, professional games, museums, etc. you have to go into Charlotte for. After awhile it would get tiring to be driving all the time when we could just stay in our current area and be near it all. Living in S. Charlotte we have prime location and excellent schools with tons of stuff all around us. We are looking at moving b/c my husband's work is relocating to FM and the commute from here to there would not be good.
You cannot compare a township of 25,000 people to a city of 775,000 people. To do so is foolish. Stay in Charlotte. Have your husband commute (he'll be going against traffic so it will actually be relatively smooth for him). He'll be much less miserable with the commute than he would be having to hear you complain all day about how you hate living in Fort Mill because you can't buy good bean sprout paste anymore.

As for me, I don't mind driving 10-25 minutes to Ballantyne, Pineville, Belmont, Matthews, Rock Hill, Steele Creek and Charlotte for just about anything I could possibly want that Fort Mill may not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonstone View Post
Hello,
My wife and I just moved from Atlanta and are currently in a rental. We are trying to figure out the best area for our family. We have 2 kids( 2.5 yrs & 13 mos) with another on the way. We have def decided on the SC side of Charlotte. We have gone to River Hills Plantation several times and really like the lay out and amenities. The homes are older, but we enjoy working on our home. We also really like Fort Mill and haven't really had a chance to experience Tega Cay yet. My biggest concern about River Hills is that it might be lacking in the "community feel" as most of the people living in River Hills are older.

Seems like both school districts are excellent, but does anyone have input on what we could be missing out on not living in Fort Mill or Tega Cay?

Do the communities inter tangle? Do people living in Lake Wylie SC go to Fort Mill a lot for community activities?

Basically any input is appreciated. I've read through a bunch of this forum, but didn't really find one comparing River Hills to Fort Mill or Tega Cay. Thx!
I think all areas you are looking at are great. lovesthecarolinas had good info in her response, and I agree with her on everything. I think wherever you decide to settle you can't go wrong.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 PM

54 posts, read 64,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
You sound very negative. Please stay in S. Charlotte and have your husband commute.
It's not negativity, it's reality. They build tract housing after tract housing but the roads, dining, and entertainment are not following. It has come to the point that everywhere we have looked the commute from S.Charlotte would actually be better than commuting within the local area. So, guess you got what you want! We WILL be staying in Charlotte! Have fun with your goat farms (Oh, wait, they no longer exist) I mean tract housing and traffic.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:24 PM

54 posts, read 64,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
You cannot compare a township of 25,000 people to a city of 775,000 people. To do so is foolish. Stay in Charlotte. Have your husband commute (he'll be going against traffic so it will actually be relatively smooth for him). He'll be much less miserable with the commute than he would be having to hear you complain all day about how you hate living in Fort Mill because you can't buy good bean sprout paste anymore.

As for me, I don't mind driving 10-25 minutes to Ballantyne, Pineville, Belmont, Matthews, Rock Hill, Steele Creek and Charlotte for just about anything I could possibly want that Fort Mill may not have.
It's not comparing an entire city with a small township, I'm saying that despite the growth there isn't anything out there! It's a very weird setup and the TC area doesn't revolve around a center of town because it doesn't exist and that is odd. Places like Davidson, Waxhaw, etc. have small but profitable downtown areas that make it feel like more of an actual community and not just a highway with neighborhoods, tract housing, and some stores on it.

Oh...and I find it laughable that you just stated the same thing in another thread about the need for a movie theater in FM, thus indicating FM NEEDS entertainment. Glad we can now agree on something.

Last edited by akoboe; 01-13-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoboe View Post
It's not comparing an entire city with a small township, I'm saying that despite the growth there isn't anything out there! It's a very weird setup and the TC area doesn't revolve around a center of town because it doesn't exist and that is odd. Places like Davidson, Waxhaw, etc. have small but profitable downtown areas that make it feel like more of an actual community and not just a highway with neighborhoods, tract housing, and some stores on it.

Oh...and I find it laughable that you just stated the same thing in another thread about the need for a movie theater in FM, thus indicating FM NEEDS entertainment. Glad we can now agree on something.
TC originally formed in the 1970s as a type of recreational housing community - that was the original intent when it formed. It was not meant to be a town. It was only in 1982-83 that TC decided to become an incorporated town complete with government and mayor. That's why there is no main street in TC - it was not originally intended to be a town.

And yes, I do think FM would benefit from having a movie theater (there is one currently in the works for Indian Land - I'm hoping its success leads developers to consider putting one in FM), but having to drive 10 minutes to Rock Hill or Pineville to catch a flick does not diminish all that FM still has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties