Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 04:12 PM

54 posts, read 189,526 times

Advertisements

Is it true they are making some sort of train/trolley that will take people from the first exit of 77 to uptown, someone told me this when I was there last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 05:36 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Is it true they are making some sort of train/trolley that will take people from the first exit of 77 to uptown, someone told me this when I was there last week.
Charlotte Area Transit is about to open their South Line, which is light rail. The closest stop to Fort Mill will be at South Boulevard / 485. I'll try it, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it to battle traffic to get to the station. It may be easier just to take the Rock Hill Express bus, which is offered now. That runs from uptown to Rock Hill, with stops at Carowinds and Baxter Village in Fort Mill. I ride that everyday, and would recommend it.

I do remember reading something a while back about a dedicated bus lane that would run along Highway 21, from Rock Hill up to the light rail station. Not sure what the timeframe is on that or if it's something that will even come to fruition, but it would make the light rail option much more viable for those coming from Rock Hill / Fort Mill.

Here's a link on the upcoming light rail line:

South Description (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Rapid+Transit+Planning/South+Corridor/South+Description.htm - broken link)

Old 09-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Ok so there are "park and ride" buses that take people into uptown?

How many stops do they make uptown and how long are the rides? Cost?

Old 09-26-2007, 04:34 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Ok so there are "park and ride" buses that take people into uptown?

How many stops do they make uptown and how long are the rides? Cost?
Yes it is park and ride (82X). It makes about 7 stops in uptown. I get on at Baxter and get off at one of the last stops in uptown and I'm on the bus for about 45 minutes. Obviously it will vary from around 35 to 50 minutes based on where you're getting on / off. I have a free pass through work, so I'm not real sure on the cost, but I believe it's $2.65 per trip. You can purchase 10 trip or monthly passes for less. Some employers will pay for all or part of the passes.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
Yes it is park and ride (82X). It makes about 7 stops in uptown. I get on at Baxter and get off at one of the last stops in uptown and I'm on the bus for about 45 minutes. Obviously it will vary from around 35 to 50 minutes based on where you're getting on / off. I have a free pass through work, so I'm not real sure on the cost, but I believe it's $2.65 per trip. You can purchase 10 trip or monthly passes for less. Some employers will pay for all or part of the passes.
Oh thats great, definetely beats sitting in your car.

Thanks for the information.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:26 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,434,041 times
I would definitely use it if I was going uptown (the express bus).

I will use the light rail to get to Checkers games and weekend events uptown. Beats driving around and paying for parking uptown (though w/Checkers games yu can get parking validated at Brixx and LaVeccbia's if you stop there beforehand).

Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,416 times
The original plan was for the South Blvd light rail line to extend all the way to Rock Hill, with stops in Fort Mill. Of course, in order for that to happen, York County would have to step up and provide some funding. Extension of the line would be wonderful for the entire area. Unfortunately, there are some in Charlotte who are trying to stop light rail, even in Charlotte. They are trying to repeal the half cent transit tax there.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:24 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,434,041 times
Also, Pineville didnt want the light rail and it would have to go through there to get to Fort Mill/Rock Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties