Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,071 times

Advertisements

From what I gather, Cherry Rd was the main road in Rock Hill when it came to retail, food, etc... When the city decided to make Dave Lyle the main road, building a mall there and bringing in other retail to the road, it killed Cherry. I knew there was the mall where Super Bi-Lo is now. My guess is the Kmart has been there since the early 70s. Shoneys was right out front, now closed. There was a Winn Dixie where Compare Foods is now, but, there are some questions:

I heard there was a Kroger on Cherry. Was it where the Bi-Lo once was?

Was the Office Depot always there?

What was Big Lots prior?

Also, the plaza way down cherry, past the auto auction, was was in there?

What grocery store was prior to Earth Fare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 PM

87 posts, read 207,158 times
Earth Fare was a Harris Teeter.
Don't know the answers to any of your other questions.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 AM

157 posts, read 381,080 times
Default "Old" Cherry Road

[quote=DaysofThundr46;23772714]From what I gather, Cherry Rd was the main road in Rock Hill when it came to retail, food, etc... When the city decided to make Dave Lyle the main road, building a mall there and bringing in other retail to the road, it killed Cherry. I knew there was the mall where Super Bi-Lo is now. My guess is the Kmart has been there since the early 70s. Shoneys was right out front, now closed. There was a Winn Dixie where Compare Foods is now, but, there are some questions:

What was Big Lots prior?

What grocery store was prior to Earth Fare?[/quote

Kroger is now Bi-Lo in the south. Before it moved to the new location, Bi-Lo was in the strip behind Chick-Filet. Can't remember if Kroger was there or if it was in the old A&P building where Tuesday Morning is.

Office Depot used to be Wal-Mart before it moved.

Don't remember what Big Lots was.

The plaza where Farmer's Furniture is, I believe was a big low-end department store called something I think started with a "C". Maybe "Cooks."

If you want to know more about old Rock Hill, join the "Memories of Growing Up in Rock Hill" Facebook page.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
From what I gather, Cherry Rd was the main road in Rock Hill when it came to retail, food, etc... When the city decided to make Dave Lyle the main road, building a mall there and bringing in other retail to the road, it killed Cherry. I knew there was the mall where Super Bi-Lo is now. My guess is the Kmart has been there since the early 70s. Shoneys was right out front, now closed. There was a Winn Dixie where Compare Foods is now, but, there are some questions:

What was Big Lots prior?

What grocery store was prior to Earth Fare?
On the corner of Deas and Cherry Road was an A&P grocery store.
There was a drive-in along that same area, that served the famous cherry-lemon-sundrop drink.
On Cherry Road around where the Home Depoit is, there was a drive-in theatre.
Is this going too far back, for what you wanted?
--------------------
I see a new restaurant on Cherry Road. I've seen many, many restaurants try to open on Cherry Road, from the corner down near Winthrop where the McDonald's is located, all the way to the other end near I-77. Every single one of those businesses failed. I hope you are not the owner of the new restaurant that just opened up. Give them a year or so, and they'll be closing due to competition.
We had Church's Chicken, Checkers, Pizza Inn, well over 10 others, and all failed, well they closed down, whether that is failure or not is up to discussion.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM

The building behind the Super Bi-Lo seems to be the original Winn Dixie.

My guess then is where Office Depot & Big Lots is, was the Wal-Mart. Office Depot isnt big enough to be a Wal-Mart, even in the 80s.

Where was the Checkers on Cherry Rd?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Checkers was where the Jack In The Box is, on N. Cherry.
Several different businesses have tried that exact corner and failed. One was a Bar-B-Q place.
The current Bi-Lo was moved from the current plaza across the side street from the Office Depot.
I do not remember Rock Hill having a Kroger or Office Max. But, I was absent from this area between 1976 and 1985. I lived here the other years, before and after.
There was a Winn Dixie where the E. Main St. Bi-Lo is located, and there was another Winn Dixie at the corner of S. Cherry Rd. and Heckle. We had a Krispy Kreme on Cherry Road and it closed down.
There was a Pizza Hut delivery unit in the old Cherry Rd. Winn Dixie plaza, in 1990, because I worked there.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:

original Winn Dixie.
I think is was where the Compare Foods is now.
The original Cherry Road Bi-Lo was located in the plaza, or strip center, beside the current Office Depot.

The current Bi-Lo on E. Main was down Albright Rd. where the Goodwill store was (or is), I think they closed or moved.
When Winn Dixie vacated their E. Main location, Bi-Lo moved down the street into the same building. Same thing for the Cherry Road Bi-Lo.
They moved from across the street from Kmart, to beside Kmart.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM

I take it Jack in the Box demolished the Checkers? What year was this?

Kroger was in the Bi-Lo that was in the plaza next to Office Depot. Bi-Lo took that space over after Kroger left the Charlotte area.

The old Winn Dixie at S. Cherry Rd. and Heckle is now city offices I believe.

When did KK close? Where was it? My guess is its now a Title Loan place.

The current Pizza Hut was a Sambos, unsure when it turned into a Pizza Hut.

The old Goodwill Plaza also had a Sky City Discount Store.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:50 PM

157 posts, read 381,080 times
Quote:
I take it Jack in the Box demolished the Checkers? What year was this?

Kroger was in the Bi-Lo that was in the plaza next to Office Depot. Bi-Lo took that space over after Kroger left the Charlotte area.

The old Winn Dixie at S. Cherry Rd. and Heckle is now city offices I believe.

When did KK close? Where was it? My guess is its now a Title Loan place.

The current Pizza Hut was a Sambos, unsure when it turned into a Pizza Hut.

The old Goodwill Plaza also had a Sky City Discount Store.

There was a Dunkin Donuts where the new "Del Taco" is. It closed several years ago. I didn't last long. I don't remember a Krispy Cream. It may have been two doors north of Cindi's Flowers (which used to be Home Federal Bank) in a building that is now a car lot.

Pizza Hut was also just north of Cindi's Flowers in a square brick building before it moved into the old Sambo's.

El Cancun was a Weiner King.

Yes, the old Winn Dixie on Heckle at S. Cherry Rd. is now the DSS and Coroner's offices. That was a good move for them.

There have been a lot of businesses come and go on Cherry Rd.

Tequila Mexican Restaurant used to be Hardees.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM

It could have been a Dunkin Donuts. They tried one on Ebenezer Road where the Hardees is located and Rock Hill just would not support a Krispy-Kreme or Dunkin.

At one time there were 3 Pizza Huts on Cherry Rd. The current location, the delivery unit at 1807 Cherry Rd. and a dine-in near the flower shop down near the Salvation Army Store.

At the same time, there was a Pizza Inn, and a God Father's Pizza in the strip center beside Office Depot. Now there are only 2 Pizza Places on Cherry Road with P. Hut and Little Caesars.
Papa Johns moved in and now has maybe 3+ locations, and the Cherry Rd. delivery P. Hut is now on Herlong past the hospital.
Ooop, not to forget Domino's they have some locations too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties