Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 07:06 AM

53 posts, read 166,601 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Our trip to NC/SC is fast approaching. We plan to spend time in Ft Mill and Union county NC. I know this is a SC forum but since the areas are so close to each other... I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 2 areas. Schools are very important. We also would like to be within 30 minutes of the airport. There are so many communities to see and we don't have much time to spend there. We want to make the most of our stay. Any ideas? Any thoughts on Union county? I know Ft Mill gets rave reviews? Are there a lot of stores nearby these areas or are they more rural? I would love to hear the pros and cons of both areas. Can't wait to see your wonderful part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,230,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica0927 View Post
Hi everyone.

Our trip to NC/SC is fast approaching. We plan to spend time in Ft Mill and Union county NC. I know this is a SC forum but since the areas are so close to each other... I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 2 areas. Schools are very important. We also would like to be within 30 minutes of the airport. There are so many communities to see and we don't have much time to spend there. We want to make the most of our stay. Any ideas? Any thoughts on Union county? I know Ft Mill gets rave reviews? Are there a lot of stores nearby these areas or are they more rural? I would love to hear the pros and cons of both areas. Can't wait to see your wonderful part of the country.
Fort Mill is small...if you are trying to compare it to all of Union County, NC. Union County covers quite a bit of ground...so it really depends on what part of Union County you are speaking of. To make a very general observation and statement...your quickest commute to the airport (CLT) will be far quicker from 95 percent of anywhere in Fort Mill versus...any part of Union County.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,458,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Fort Mill is small...if you are trying to compare it to all of Union County, NC. Union County covers quite a bit of ground...so it really depends on what part of Union County you are speaking of. To make a very general observation and statement...your quickest commute to the airport (CLT) will be far quicker from 95 percent of anywhere in Fort Mill versus...any part of Union County.
Yes, the only part of Union Cty you would be somewhat close to the airport would be in Marvin, and that is the very edge of Union.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:46 PM

390 posts, read 1,518,492 times
There are lots of stores nearby in Fort Mill - it has easy access to Rock Hill and South Charlotte. Union County has easy access to south Charlotte mainly the Blakeney and Ballantyne areas. If you're talking about everyday needs - like grocery stores, cleaners, etc., you're going to be closer to what you need in Fort Mill, but there are plenty available in the major residential areas of Union County, too. On these boards, people seem to use "Union County" as a synonym for Marvin/Waxhaw/Weddington. Seems like they're not usually talking about Stallings, Indian Trail and Monroe, which are farther East. The latter tend to be more small town-like, with the former being more like collections of upscale residential developments and some retail and rural areas.

I think there are more stores and services in Fort Mill, but it may just be that I know the area better than I know the Union County areas. And I agree with lovethecarolinas and groove: Fort Mill is MUCH closer to the airport, in terms of drive time. It's also a much faster commute to uptown Charlotte.

Taxes are cheaper in SC, and word is that Union County taxes are going up to cover infrastructure needs. Heaven knows it's needed - phenomenal growth down there in the last 5 years.

What I like about Fort Mill and Tega Cay are that they feel like communities, with community activities and a sense of identity. When I drive through Union County it feels like one subdivision after another. Just my opinion - most of the posters who live in Marvin/Waxhaw/Weddington seem to LOVE their neighborhoods and they find themselves surrounded by other transplants, which makes it easy to make friends.

As with anything, YMMV. Good luck, and enjoy your search! This is one of the fun parts - getting to learn and explore what may be your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties