Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM

207 posts, read 566,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Rt 160 is currently 5 lanes (2 lanes each way plus a turning lane) going north until it hits Gold Hill. At Gold Hill it shrinks to 2 lanes and stays that way, with few exceptions, forever. The project to expand to 5 lanes from Gold Hill to the NC border has been approved and funded partly with money from York County's Pennies for Progress fund. What happens from the SC/NC border going north is up to NC.

Prior to that happening, however, the land will need to be acquired, utilities will need to be moved etc.
That' all well and good but I don't see how that will fix the problem south of Gold Hill on 160. You are still going to have the back-up of people turning left into Tega Cay. The only problem I run into once I get passed Gold Hill is people turning left at Youngbood. Once past that area is clear and free all the way to 49. EXCEPT if you are coming the other way down 160 then traffic backs up with people turning left onto Hamilton. Adding additional lanes will help that problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,668,008 times
Certainly wouldn't hurt if drivers weren't using cell phones, texting or taking photos while driving! That would help in many areas. Traffic is traffic. There's no escaping it! Well, unless you move to the middle of nowhere and grown your own food so you don't have to venture into areas with population.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,995,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Certainly wouldn't hurt if drivers weren't using cell phones, texting or taking photos while driving! That would help in many areas. Traffic is traffic. There's no escaping it! Well, unless you move to the middle of nowhere and grown your own food so you don't have to venture into areas with population.
or might actually GO on a green light. It irks me when you know you got like 20 cars behind you, and you dont pay attention to when the light turns GREEN.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:04 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Rt 160 is currently 5 lanes (2 lanes each way plus a turning lane) going north until it hits Gold Hill. At Gold Hill it shrinks to 2 lanes and stays that way, with few exceptions, forever. The project to expand to 5 lanes from Gold Hill to the NC border has been approved and funded partly with money from York County's Pennies for Progress fund. What happens from the SC/NC border going north is up to NC.

Prior to that happening, however, the land will need to be acquired, utilities will need to be moved etc.
Sooo... this should be done by 2018 or so then? The traffic isn't bad at all across the border, but once that farmland starts getting sold and businesses move in, it will be a big mess.

I live at Gold Hill and 160 and avoid that area during rush hour like the plague. Such a horrible gridlock.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM

153 posts, read 475,077 times
>> ... The project to expand to 5 lanes from Gold Hill to the NC border has been approved and funded partly with money from York County's Pennies for Progress fund.

>> Prior to that happening, however, the land will need to be acquired, utilities will need to be moved etc.

And, don't forget the construction of the $30 million Wellmore assisted-living community, scheduled to start in July. The 130,000 square-foot facility will be located in the Stonecrest development.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 AM

235 posts, read 307,997 times
Other than a public announcement sign for a December 6th meeting, I have not see or heard anything on this project.

This project is needed, but it will only move the problem. 160 needs to be four lanes or more from I-75 north up to 485.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:39 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,223,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
Other than a public announcement sign for a December 6th meeting, I have not see or heard anything on this project.

This project is needed, but it will only move the problem. 160 needs to be four lanes or more from I-75 north up to 485.
Assuming you (nor I) were at the meeting on Dec. 6th I did a Bing search and found the following:

http://www.dot.state.sc.us/inside/pd...60_handout.pdf

Public Hearings/Information Meetings

Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,985,620 times
It appears SCDOT is going to work on the intersections ... but I thought this last Pennies for Progress that voters approved this year had widening of Hwy 160 North from Gold Hill. It's not listed yet on Phase 3 on the Pennies website.

Turning off of Zoar Rd onto 160 South is a tee-total nightmare when you have people trying to get in and out of that gas station and all you want to do is get over in that little ole left lane and turn onto Gold Hill.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:47 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,809,266 times
The new traffic light on 160 and Barberville Rd has made traffic even worse heading from Downtown to Hwy 521.

Coming from Rock Hill at this time, I'm thinking about going around the back side through Lancaster to get home.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 AM

850 posts, read 2,654,826 times
I dont think that is the issue. Its the lack of a turning lane at Hensley road. That section always backs up. I travel thru there everyday, and it has gotten worse but its always at that particular bottleneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties