Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times

Advertisements

Im buying a vehicle in North Carolina (Private Seller) but registering it in South Carolina. What bill of sale do I need? One from NC or one from SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 03:36 PM

704 posts, read 2,068,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Im buying a vehicle in North Carolina (Private Seller) but registering it in South Carolina. What bill of sale do I need? One from NC or one from SC?
I used to buy cars on Ebay from up north and take a bus up there, drive them home and sell in Rock Hill.
For you to bring a car into the state of S.C. you need the blue and white official bill of sale that you can obtain at the DMV there across from the Bloom Food Store on Hwy. 21. I once had to locate an owner in Pa. and send them the proper bill of sale form for their info.

They are very strict about it.

Bill of Sale (This is a sample form. Because of the security features, we can not accept copies of this form. An official form may be obtained from DMV)

SC Department of Motor Vehicles
look waaaay down the page under vehicle and title registration forms.
Form 4031,
and as with all their forms you may need to use "black" ink only.

Take that with you when you go get the car. That and the title lets you drive it back to where you live, from the place you bought it with NO tag, so the title and the bill of sale save you in case a cop notices you have no tag. The original bills of sale is blue and white.

I used to type up and make my own and they stoppped accepting those a few years ago. You use their's or no title and tags. I did get by one time after I explained the situation with the manager, but it was very difficult to get by that form (I had a very odd and unusual story, but it was true). I'll never buy a car without it.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:19 PM

I dont get why they dont let you print out or fill out a bill of sale. CT lets you either print one out and fill it out in pen, or, type in it and print that out electronically. I dont really get the big deal with the bill of sale stuff.

The vehicle is already in my parking spot Ill head to the DMV this week and get one and fill it out. Im not going to register it till august anyways.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 AM

From my experiences in the past several years buying and selling used cars, the most recent change to the rules is you have to use their official bill of sale, for cars "brought into S.C.", which yours is, from N.C. And you do have 45 days to register it.
I "always" typed up my own bill of sale, so I could list the defects that I had told the buyer about, etc. trying to cover my butt for disclosure, etc. I put the VIN number, the mileage, the buyer and my printed names and signatures, nice bill of sale, we even went to a bank and got it notarized, but they started to refuse them.
If you are near the Bloom ride over there to DMV and ask the attendant at the front. She is very helpful.

Maybe there has been a high increase in stolen cars, cars sold in some unlawful way, fraudulant info on some bill of sales, etc. Not sure.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 AM

The new SC DMV is quite nice. Dont I need to go to Rock Hill and pay the tax on the vehicle first?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
The new SC DMV is quite nice. Dont I need to go to Rock Hill and pay the tax on the vehicle first?
sigh..............DMV has yet to figure out how to let the agents at each window do the taxes on the vehicles and the title-registration.

You have to prove you have insurance and go to Rock Hill Heckle Blvd. to pay the property taxes.

The real estate property taxes could be done in Rock Hill, but these DMV employees should have some way to handle property taxes on cars. Maybe it's a future plan.

Then your choices are the DMV in Newport or across from Bloom.
I've been to the Fort Mill office several times and it seems to run smoothly.
I heard alot of the people that used to go to the closed Heckle office now go to Newport or Chester and that is why the Fort Mill office is not crowded.
I went there to get a title last month and to my shock I was called to the window within 30 seconds of sitting down.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:16 PM

When I registerd my car when I moved, i had everything and she asked if I paid the taxes, i said no, i figured I can pay them here and shockingly, she said they dont do that. Wouldnt that make sense?

So I guess i hafta insure the van, then bring that and my title to the tax office and pay the property taxes, then go to the DMV (across from the bloom grocery store) and register it? (Im transferring plates)?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
When I registerd my car when I moved, i had everything and she asked if I paid the taxes, i said no, i figured I can pay them here and shockingly, she said they dont do that. Wouldnt that make sense?

So I guess i hafta insure the van, then bring that and my title to the tax office and pay the property taxes, then go to the DMV (across from the bloom grocery store) and register it? (Im transferring plates)?
yes, that is my knowledge and experience, and often the agent will go outside the building with you to match the VIN number on the title and bill of sale with the number on the metal plate that is inside the windshield.

If you are transferring plates from a car you have, or will be selling, then the registration left on that tag can be applied to your van. If the tag you are transferring expires in Oct. 2010, you won't lose these next 4 months, in taxes or sticker cost.
When I last turned in a tag 3 months before it expired, I got a refund check for 3 months of property taxes in the mail.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:38 PM

yes, you should need to go to Rock Hill, as the property taxes are based on make, model, year, mileage. And will be different than the one you took the plate off of, but you'll get credit for what is left on the transferred plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties