Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:50 PM

11 posts, read 74,364 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some personal opinions on Laramie, Wy from people who have or are living in Laramie. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at going to the university and just wanted some information about the town. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 09:23 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Laramie is a great place. I'm transferring to the University myself for the fall semester. I spent about a week there a month ago and one of my best friends is working on her doctorate at U of W. What did you want to know about it?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:25 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,279 times
Default Laramie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcantler16 View Post
I am looking for some personal opinions on Laramie, Wy from people who have or are living in Laramie. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at going to the university and just wanted some information about the town. Thank you.
Our daughter is a junior at UW. She loves it!! There is always something going on there. Lots of things to do. If you're into outdoor activities hiking is close by as well as skiing, biking, etc. With the university there are plays, recitals, sporting events.

I love Laramie. It has pretty much everything you need and Fort Collins or Cheyenne are close. Only a little further is Denver if you want a big city.

Cold in the winter but not too hot in the summer either. Lots of sun. Friendly people.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Thank you for your replies. We went there during spring break for a college visit. But I was only in laramie for about a day because we live in oklahoma and it is about a 12 hour drive so we couldn't stay long. Is the downtown nice? Are there lots of outdoor stores? Are sports big at the university? Does the city ever get snowed in or do they ever close the road (my mothers question)? Are there lots of trails nearby? Is there much crime? Thats about all the questions I can think of for right now. Thank you.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:06 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,833 times
I lived in Steamboat for a while so Laramie was only a short hop and I agree, it's a unique place, enjoying all the trips that brought us up that way. Didn't seem nearly as small as it was and the people were genuinely warm and friendly.

Laramie is also the subject of one of the most famous ads of all time and seems to capture the spirit of Wyoming better than I've seen elsewhere:

Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Get snowed in and the roads closed down? in Laramie? just outside of Laramie?

Of course! you can check the road conditions on WYDOT's website.

I-80 gets shut down several times an average winter season. As does the road down to Fort Collins.

Winters can be pretty brutal in Laramie.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:33 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,058 times
Winter covers the school season in Laramie, so buy some warm clothes. Four wheel drive is good too, they only plow Third Street and Grand Avenue. It can and does snow in June and July sometimes too. Also, be aware of the altitude difference from where you're coming from. Don't go out and take on Veadawoo before you're acclimated, you could get very ill from altitude sickness, you don't have to be drinking to get sick from this.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:20 PM
MHT

Default Laramie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcantler16 View Post
Thank you for your replies. We went there during spring break for a college visit. But I was only in laramie for about a day because we live in oklahoma and it is about a 12 hour drive so we couldn't stay long. Is the downtown nice? Are there lots of outdoor stores? Are sports big at the university? Does the city ever get snowed in or do they ever close the road (my mothers question)? Are there lots of trails nearby? Is there much crime? Thats about all the questions I can think of for right now. Thank you.
One of the first things you'll have to get used to in WY is driving. We drive 2 hours to the dentist. One hour to any kind of shopping, etc. The downtown area is great. Lots of neat shops and places to eat. There are a few outdoor stores but Cheyenne and Fort Collins are not too far away. Sports are big at UW. We have season football and season basketball tickets - don't miss many women's basketball games either. Some friends from Buffalo have season tickets also and only missed one basketball game last year. The city does get "snowed in" which means that all the roads leading out of Laramie are closed. You learn pretty quickly to check the weather and the road report before traveling. The roads are open as quickly as possible but Laramie does have winter! Not much for crime. Lots of outdoor things to do close by.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I have to admit I am looking forward to attending the university, though I still have one year left. Does anyone know anything about the army rotc or the engineering program? I was able to meet with the recruiter and I professor from the program but I didn't know if anyone had been apart of either program. And I was just curious about the weather thing. How much snow does that area get exactly? I have looked at a couple sites but they all tell me different numbers. And coming from oklahoma where we get like 6 inches a year, I am just wondering how big of a change it will be. Thank you.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 AM
MHT

Default Laramie snow

As far as how much snow Laramie gets - it depends on the year. Some years there's a lot, some years not. It's not the snow as much as the wind which can cause white-out conditions and drifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming