Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,244 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking about transfering to Sheridan and I currently homeschool our 7 year old. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their school system. I have heard good things. Can anyone tell me if they go 4 or 5 days a week? Please, any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 PM

215 posts, read 669,359 times
The schools here in Sheridan are quite good. We have several grade schools with one junior high and one high school in Sheridan. These schools are all 5 day. In the outlaying areas there are a grade schools and high schools also and these are 4 day. That would be Ranchester, Dayton and BigHorn.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,244 times
Thumbs up Sheridan Schools

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm going back and forth on the public school idea, but I do really like the idea of a 4 day week.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,166,642 times
most of the Sheridan schools are 5 days a week. Some of the outlying areas are 4 days a week. I think that's a good idea, but I'll let others speak up with that.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,871,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
most of the Sheridan schools are 5 days a week. Some of the outlying areas are 4 days a week. I think that's a good idea, but I'll let others speak up with that.
I wish Sheridan School District 2 would go to 4 day weeks. It would be much nicer for those students who are in extra ciricular activities, as they wouldn't have to miss a lot of days going to events. Most events take place on Fri. so kids have to miss that day of school if they go out of town for an event.

As for the schools in Sheridan and the surrounding areas, they are all pretty great schools. The kids are usually working at an average of 2 grades above their actual grade level.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:08 AM

76 posts, read 259,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I wish Sheridan School District 2 would go to 4 day weeks. It would be much nicer for those students who are in extra ciricular activities, as they wouldn't have to miss a lot of days going to events. Most events take place on Fri. so kids have to miss that day of school if they go out of town for an event.
I don't know how it affects sports but the high school does kind of have a shortened day on Fridays. Its based on grades, I forget if its you have all grades above a B or a C you get released early, if not you get to stick around for remedial classes. So at least now with only a half day on Fridays the sports kids only miss a half day of classes (where don't do much but fun activities because there isn't enough time) instead of a full day.

I don't know if you'll ever see Dist. #2 go to a 4 day - I can remember people trying to get a 4 day week ever since I was a little kid. I'm young enough to remember on Fridays during the middle of all the sports seasons we didn't do much of anything in class anyway because so many kids were gone it was more work to the teachers to put it off for a day than spend extra time with half the class to get them caught up on work. I know a lot of the teachers would appreciate a 4 day week so they would have an extra day to try and catch up on work from the past week.

As far as the quality of schools, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of schools or districts (which ever one you go to based on your address) around here. Lot of very good, very dedicated teachers (I personally know of a few in #2 that have been at it for over 20 years).

Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinowy View Post
I don't know how it affects sports but the high school does kind of have a shortened day on Fridays. Its based on grades, I forget if its you have all grades above a B or a C you get released early, if not you get to stick around for remedial classes. So at least now with only a half day on Fridays the sports kids only miss a half day of classes (where don't do much but fun activities because there isn't enough time) instead of a full day.

I don't know if you'll ever see Dist. #2 go to a 4 day - I can remember people trying to get a 4 day week ever since I was a little kid. I'm young enough to remember on Fridays during the middle of all the sports seasons we didn't do much of anything in class anyway because so many kids were gone it was more work to the teachers to put it off for a day than spend extra time with half the class to get them caught up on work. I know a lot of the teachers would appreciate a 4 day week so they would have an extra day to try and catch up on work from the past week.

As far as the quality of schools, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of schools or districts (which ever one you go to based on your address) around here. Lot of very good, very dedicated teachers (I personally know of a few in #2 that have been at it for over 20 years).
The only grade in district #2 that gets an early out on Fri. is 12th grade and that's if they have an above "D" average.

As far as not doing much in class on FRi. because so many kids are gone for extra ciricular activities go, well last year when my one daughter was in Jr. High and in basketball, she still had a lot of homework in most of her classes she had to make up for the Fridays she missed. It was the same way for my oldest who has been out of school for 3 years now. She still had a bunch of homework to make up when she missed Fri. for her sports.

I went to school here too and I remember still having to do work in class on Fri. even if half the class was gone, it may not have been as much work as they have now, but the class sizes are much smaller than they were when I was in school. Back when I was in school half the class was 15-20 students now half the class is 7-10. It's not as hard working with half the class to get them caught up as it would have been when I was in school.

Heck, I heard that some of the schools in the Gillette area have gone to the 4 day week. (I could be wrong about that and it may be that they are still thinking about doing it.) I understand that they did it (or want to do it) because they are so big into sports and other EC activities and going to a 4 day week has helped (or would help) keep the kids' grades up because they weren't (or aren't) falling behind because they were (are)gone for an EC activity all the time.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 AM

76 posts, read 259,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
The only grade in district #2 that gets an early out on Fri. is 12th grade and that's if they have an above "D" average.
Are you sure? I have a friend that is still in HS - last year would have been her junior year and they got out early too. I thought it was all 4 grades (or at least 3 grades), I just looked at SHS's site too and it seems to indicate all 4 grades too.

Don't get me wrong, I support a 4 day week - I'm just no so sure you ever will see it. Kinda like how they've been talking about a closed campus for the HS for several decades now .

Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinowy View Post
Are you sure? I have a friend that is still in HS - last year would have been her junior year and they got out early too. I thought it was all 4 grades (or at least 3 grades), I just looked at SHS's site too and it seems to indicate all 4 grades too.

Don't get me wrong, I support a 4 day week - I'm just no so sure you ever will see it. Kinda like how they've been talking about a closed campus for the HS for several decades now .
Maybe the early outs for all grades are recent on Fri. My son who graduated this past spring got early outs, but he was only here for the last part of his senior year so I don't know about the lower grades. My oldest who graduated 3 years ago never had the early outs during any year of high school at least not that I remember. She only had a couple of classes her senior year so she was out early every day to go to work.

They do closed campus every so often, The last I knew it was closed to the 9th and 10th graders all the time but open to the 11th and 12th graders. They close it for all grades when the campus starts to get a bunch of trash all over the place and reopen it when the trash is picked up and the campus looks good again.

I know there has been talk recently about going to full years, hopefully that won't happen. I'd rather see a 4 day week over a full year, but I would venture to guess that the full year will happen long before a 4 day week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming