Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 PM

15 posts, read 57,143 times

Advertisements

If you search-engine it, you find an article that WY had so much business/industry happening, and MI had so many lay-offs going on, that recruiters from WY went out there, and many families made the leap and have loved it. Does anyone know what this was all about? The article was vague about what companies they were, what kind of work it was, etc.

My husband is now a displaced auto worker after 15 years with Chrysler. We are researching ID, MT, and WY as our next home. We've got a buy-out, 2yrs. paid schooling, 2 yrs. unemployment while he trains. He's thinking about nursing school, to become a surgical nurse. But we have 7 children, we homeschool, and he will be looking for work either part-time, or while he waits for a nursing program to start admissions for the following semester.

Can anyone tell me anything about this?

Thanks so much.

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,222,483 times
I know that there were several companies here in Gillette as well as some other energy related towns who went to Michigan to recruit. We had A LOT of guys from Michigan move here to work. At that time the area was crying for workers. Things have really slowed down now, though, although I feel things are still a lot better here than they are in most places. I think he would be able to find a part time job and there is a good junior college here that has a nursing program. Rent is still pretty high here. I don't know much about home schooling as I work for the school system, but I know there are people here who do home school and it's not that regulated. If you have any questions let us know. Also, I noticed you posting on the Montana board, too. We moved to WY from MT and are so glad we did. Money is so much better here, taxes lower, etc. I don't know anything about Idaho, though, as you asked on your Montana post.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
Georgia got it right. I'm pretty sure Gillette was the first town in Wyoming to make the trips back to Michigan and recruit at job fairs there. I don't recall if it was the Chamber of Commerce of the Economic Development Council that did it, but it was a local government agency that started it, and I think they were accompanied by representatives from a couple area coal mines.

That was two and three years ago, maybe four. At that time employers couldn't find enough help, and workers moving to Gillette without jobs could find work the first day they looked. Of course, finding housing took months, and many new arrivals lived with their families in hotel rooms for months on end -- or waited for months to find housing so their families could join them. My, how things have changed!

Here's a link to the Northern Wyoming Community College District.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM

309 posts, read 991,752 times
I seem to remember that they were recruiting mid-westerners to come out here. Whatta culture shock that must have been!

Us locals have a hard enuf time finding work for ourselves let alone importing competition. I'm going down to NM next week - checking it out for myself.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:14 AM

788 posts, read 1,743,098 times
Nursing jobs are not as plentiful as they used to be.....especially for 'new grad' RN's.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,222,483 times
There are still lots of nursing jobs listed available in Gillette.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:06 AM

788 posts, read 1,743,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
There are still lots of nursing jobs listed available in Gillette.
Really where? Campbell County Memorial Hospital has 5 RN jobs on their website.....2 are only PRN positions and only 1 position would i recommend to a new graduate RN. I doubt the other 2 would accept a new grad.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM

632 posts, read 1,518,270 times
Don't know if you'd consider correctional work, but Wyoming Dept of Corrections is about the only branch of state gov't hiring. Many positions are in Torrington at new prison.

Department of Corrections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming