Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,227 times

Advertisements

Hi,We are driving to Cody from California and would like some good directions on how to avoid any major passes or seasonal closeures ,thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:24 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Departing from where in CA? Northern, Southern ... any particular city with an interstate close by?

"Seasonal Closures" in heading East? Let's see ... there's NV, UT, and Wyoming which all have winter weather and possible adverse road conditions and closures. Don't head East during the winter months if you don't want to have these problems. Wait until June.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,103 times
Wherever it is you're coming from, there will be mountain passes to cross, so I would suggest taking interstate routes wherever possible. From the south, I would suggest I-15 north to Salt Lake City, and from the North, I'd suggest I-80 east to Salt Lake City. Neither of these routes should be attempted during inclement weather. From SLC, I'd recommend that you take I-15 north to I-90 in Montana. Then I'd suggest heading east on I-90 to Laurel, which is just west of Billings. You could then take the highway south from there to Cody. This route would keep you on the interstate most of the way, which would minimize, but not eliminate, your chances of winter closures. Any route you choose should only be attempted in periods where there is a substantial window of good weather. Any change of the weather should be a signal to seek shelter as soon as possible, to wait it out. It's not worth risking your life to save a day or two of traveling.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,577 times
Default Ain't no way to do that, short of parachuting in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmi View Post
Hi,We are driving to Cody from California and would like some good directions on how to avoid any major passes or seasonal closeures ,thanks
As you drive into the area around Cody, you're up into high elevation from just about any approach into the area.

If you're coming from NorCal, you could run into closures on I-80 going across the Sierras, then in any number of places in Nevada on I-80, especially from Winnemucca east to Wendover.

Once you're in Utah, you're more likely to run into problems as you try to leave the SLC area - north on I-15, you could run into problems near the northern Utah border with Idaho, which is at high elevation. Matter of fact, the whole run from Brigham City, UT up to Butte, MT is just a veritable snowfest during the winter. It is high, beautiful country, but boy can it get monster snowstorms.

If you're coming from SoCal, you could be on I-15 clear out of SoCal up into Utah, but you'd start running into possible closures as soon as you're north of Cedar City, UT.

In short, there ain't much way to avoid high country with possible snowstorms, road closures, etc between California and Cody.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 PM

46 posts, read 214,155 times
Best way is just follow RandMcNally trip thingy. We go thru the Provo Canyon route off 1-15 thru Heber to by-pass SLC in good weather or in snowy weather I80 & up 191 from Green River, exit Elk Street and turn right in Eden and follow the signs to Cody. If you go in snowy weather, stay home until it warms up unless you have a 4WD. Weather can be a ***** due to the wind!
JMO

Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,870 times
Default Scenic route to Cody

An early fall trip to Cody is in the works,mainly to visit the historical center and YNP,from SoCal.Unlike most,dislike interstates and avoid them if possible.Much prefer using secondary roads when feasible.Looking at my map,have plotted a tentative route that is a mix of interstates and state roads.Like it or not,must use I-15 to the I-70 through Grand Junction,and then turn north on the 13 at Rifle,into Wyoming;Rawlins,Lander,Riverton,and then Cody.My experience in Wyoming and most of Colorado travel is limited,so much of the trip will be over unfamiliar ground.Am very flexible,and can change routes easily.Much aware that snow at higher elevations is possible even in early October.The idea is to reach Cody in a reasonable time,but to make it as scenic as possible.Any suggestions or comments as to alternate routes would be welcome.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
An early fall trip to Cody is in the works,mainly to visit the historical center and YNP,from SoCal.Unlike most,dislike interstates and avoid them if possible.Much prefer using secondary roads when feasible.Looking at my map,have plotted a tentative route that is a mix of interstates and state roads.Like it or not,must use I-15 to the I-70 through Grand Junction,and then turn north on the 13 at Rifle,into Wyoming;Rawlins,Lander,Riverton,and then Cody.My experience in Wyoming and most of Colorado travel is limited,so much of the trip will be over unfamiliar ground.Am very flexible,and can change routes easily.Much aware that snow at higher elevations is possible even in early October.The idea is to reach Cody in a reasonable time,but to make it as scenic as possible.Any suggestions or comments as to alternate routes would be welcome.
I take it that you are going through Colorado so you can see part of that state, too? You didn't say, but that's my assumption. If you don't need to go that far east, then I would go through Utah instead and pop into Wyoming at Evanston.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I take it that you are going through Colorado so you can see part of that state, too? You didn't say, but that's my assumption. If you don't need to go that far east, then I would go through Utah instead and pop into Wyoming at Evanston.
Ditto that, or, as an alternative, you could head up through Price, past Flaming Gorge Reservoir, and on up the road to Rock Springs. From there, you could head north through Pinedale, and up to Hoback Junction, through Jackson and GTNP to reach YNP, then head east to Cody. It's all beautiful country through there, and these are mostly two-lane roads.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,870 times
Default Cody routes.

Thanks for the tips,but since I have traveled extensively in Utah and somewhat in Western Wyoming,the plan is to cover new ground.Have stayed overnight in Price and Rock Springs,passed through Flaming Gorge,the Uintas,and Evanston,and stayed in Jackson.Missed a visit to Teton NP and that is a must do next time.Teton will be part of the return trip after YNP.Have seven months to plan,and enjoy pouring over maps and visiting web sites and my public library for research.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Thanks for the tips,but since I have traveled extensively in Utah and somewhat in Western Wyoming,the plan is to cover new ground.Have stayed overnight in Price and Rock Springs,passed through Flaming Gorge,the Uintas,and Evanston,and stayed in Jackson.Missed a visit to Teton NP and that is a must do next time.Teton will be part of the return trip after YNP.Have seven months to plan,and enjoy pouring over maps and visiting web sites and my public library for research.
I can't say I blame you for wanting to see new territory. I try to do the same thing when I head out that way. The route through Price, Vernal, and Flaming Gorge was new to me last year, which is why it was fresh in my mind. The northwest corner of Colorado is an area that I also have not yet seen, so I would probably be planning to do the same thing you are. Perhaps I'll pass through that way this summer, too, while on my way to eastern Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming