Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,221,653 times

Advertisements

I would love to know more about the Sheridan area. I have been thru Wy several times and I loved it. We currently live in Alaska and while it is certainly beautiful beyond belief here I'm not sure I can handle the 8 month long winters and the extreme price gouging on things like Hay (we own horses) and some foods. Or the $300 a month electric bills. It's crazy at times!!
What I would like to know are cost of living like rent (with some land if possible) and food prices and gas. Also what a 5' round of Hay cost too. Thank you so much for any help.
I'm sure it would be a while before we could move but I would at least like to get some questions answered in the mean time.
~ Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 PM

76 posts, read 259,642 times
I live just outside of Sheridan (well, for the time being - here shortly we'll be moving into town) - I'm not sure what you're used to as far as expenses up there but a lot of folks wouldn't consider living around here exactly "cheap." Finding ANY place to rent can be tough at times - figure paying at least $1200-$1500/mo. to rent even a little house (that's without utilities). Places with even a little bit of land are going to be even rarer. We finally just gave up trying to find a place to rent that would allow pets (we have two dogs and a cat). The ones that would "negotiate" only wanted 1 small dog or a cat. That's the just the reality of the game it seems. Finding a place with lad to rent int the first place will be hard, and if you do find a place its fairly likely you'll be able to make payments on a mortgage for cheaper than what some folks around here want to rent a place.

Now you could pasture the horses - usually it ain't too hard to find somebody that'll let you pasture some horses, and cost is highly variable. Some people are really reasonable, some folks are...well...dreaming .

Hay can be pretty variable as well, a lot depends on how good the spring is - we have a really good wet spring heck everybody will be selling hay which really drives the price down. We have a poor winter and a dry spring, folks will be hurting. Its been a number of years ago but we had a few really dry years in a row, and hardly anybody had any hay (We live on a ranch and our typical crop was about 120 round bales, the year before we got 16 bales, and that year there wasn't even enough grass to bother haying). The ones that did have hay were having to keep it for their own use. We finally ended up shipping in a few semi loads of round bales at well over $100/bale. And that was for cattle grass hay. Not the really good horse hay. So it can swing pretty wildly .

Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Thanks, I probably needed to hear that. We pay $1400/mo where we are now and have 20 acres with that. We pay all utilites. We have spent a small fortune on hay this year tho. I currently pay $94 for a round bale but it only weighs about 600#. Plus I am buying complete feeds as well cause the hay up here is not usually a complete hay, as far as nutrients go.
Maybe I will keep looking around, who knows mayne I am suffering from cabin fever
Thanks for the respone

Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Not trying to be disheartening but that's a lot of truth of it. Its tough around here, especially right now - just flat out renting you gotta be QUICK.

Of course things could completely change here 6 months from now - its hard to tell. I wouldn't get your hopes down, but if its going to be a while that just gives you more time to research and ask around. Keep an eye on land prices, call up some of the real estate agencies to talk to them, look around at other places that are just a little ways from Sheridan like Big Horn, and Dayton, and Ranchester. Things like that .

Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM

There is a 50 acre ranch for rent right now in Buffalo. Too bad I can't get there quick enough LOL. I will keep looking around. But who knows what we will do in the end. My hubby likes it here but hates his job, and that makes me so sad for him. Maybe if things improve we will be happier.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Well see, you've already proved me wrong! Like a lot of things here, there can be NOTHING one week and the next there is a whole list. Best not to get too up or down about it until things are a little more definite. If you want to live here bad enough you'll figure something out .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming