Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,151 times

Advertisements

If your looking to relocate to Gillette Wy you might want to think again. We are a family with 3 children and have "come home" to Gillette 5 months ago. We have yet to find a place to rent while we are building our home. We have a dog and Gillette is a NO PETS town period!!! There is no one that accomodates families with pets, so if you are thinking of coming here for better jobs, it's not worth it. I hope this "boom" ends soon and these people scramble for decent renters. We offered a pet deposit, have references, and the Gillette people don't care. They don't have to. They charge way too much for homes/apts that are worth half of what they ask. And yet they are asking people to move here for better work. We moved from Ohio, so Michigan people or people in the surrounding areas don't believe what you hear, it's a nightmare out here!!! We have reached the end of our rope and are considering not building here and moving elsewhere. Take our advice, don't come to Gillette!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 05:05 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,058,155 times
I am sorry to you and your family for what you have been through, that must be very rough :::hugs:::

One thing I did notice while planning our moving and struggling with housing, is that a lot of realtors rent houses and even some people that privately rent have used the housing shortage to take advantage of people a bit. They have it in their minds they can make demands and they know what places are going for and what they can get away with because people are desperate to find a place to rent..

I will say here in OR to buy it is a lot more to buy a home than in Wy, a 200,000 home in Wy could go for a million here. Here you cannot find a place to rent for under $550 that is decent, and to rent a home is at least 1000 a month.

I think if housing wasn't in such high demand in Sheridan, Gillette, ect. they could not get away with renting homes for $700 plus. I think a person is better off buying honestly. I do know I saw several places to rent in Casper and Cheyenne, some down into the 300's... which fits with the income and cost of living. but they are the "cities" and more populated.

So to me from the patterns I can see from my vantage point, the majority of those who manage property want to make a buck and charge they highest rate they can.

Not everyone is like that, I have seen some places come up for rent that are decent prices.. For example the family renting to us, lowered our rent 50 dollars a month to help us out, since we were moving from out of state. We were very fortunate to find such a nice family. They were born and raised in Sheridan, Wy.

I told my husband the other night if we ever are fortunate enough to be able to invest in a place to rent, I would make my purpose to charge what is necessary, not an massive amount to make a buck. Because I think that is how the majority of people in Wy are like, they would give you the shirt off their backs and I want to assimilate not "change" any part of that when I move to WY.

And sadly I think some realtors and newcomers have "jumped" on the boom and opportunities to make a buck and I think it sad. But no matter where you live or go anymore, there are people that want to take advantage.

I wish you and your family the best of luck.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,584 times
rentals have always been hard to find in gillette.i took a job there in the mid-'90's when things werent booming and there were no places to rent.i ended up commuting from moorcroft,and places were scarce there too.you could buy a house there pretty cheap at the time though.realestate has pretty much tripled in ten years.be forwarned though,i knew people who had lived there since the boom of the 70's whose properties were worth 50% less in the mid 90's then they had paid in the 70's.if[and more likely when]things bust again a lot of people are going to be stuck with some overvalued houses.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:09 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,199,057 times
The extractive industries will always be cyclical, which creates the boom and bust roller coaster for much of Wyoming.

If you move here, be prepared to buy in for the long haul ... and live well below your means to prepare yourself for the next bust cycle. Otherwise, you'll be moving on ... perhaps at a loss ... unless you've got an independent income to live on.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 16,707 times
Default Wow

I know the feeling .. I'm moving from OREGON and its is impossiable to find a pet place..
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardgang5 View Post
If your looking to relocate to Gillette Wy you might want to think again. We are a family with 3 children and have "come home" to Gillette 5 months ago. We have yet to find a place to rent while we are building our home. We have a dog and Gillette is a NO PETS town period!!! There is no one that accomodates families with pets, so if you are thinking of coming here for better jobs, it's not worth it. I hope this "boom" ends soon and these people scramble for decent renters. We offered a pet deposit, have references, and the Gillette people don't care. They don't have to. They charge way too much for homes/apts that are worth half of what they ask. And yet they are asking people to move here for better work. We moved from Ohio, so Michigan people or people in the surrounding areas don't believe what you hear, it's a nightmare out here!!! We have reached the end of our rope and are considering not building here and moving elsewhere. Take our advice, don't come to Gillette!!!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:38 PM

208 posts, read 909,955 times
It's unfortunate that people feel this way about Gillette... although it wouldn't be my first choice for a retirement community it's not a bad area compared to most. The homes are more expensive than in places like Michigan or Wisconsin, but the wages are much higher as well. If they weren't people wouldn't be coming here. Rentals are a problem, yes, but there are many affordable homes to be had on the available wages. There are plenty of apartments available if you look, but many of them are overpriced. If you are coming to Gillette and are going to rent you should plan ahead....

I've heard that Gillette isn't "pet friendly," but I hear very little about the other side. If I had a rental that was torn up by dogs several times while their owners were working 12 hour shifts at the mines I would have a no pet policy as well. Property owners have a right to keep their rental properties from getting trashed (as much as they can anyway), and there are some people that have ruined it for others. There are a ton of pet owners in Gillette... it's hardly a town unfriendly to animals.

There are some landlords that overcharge for their places; they will be weeded out when the cycle changes. That is the way of the market. I was surprised at the lack of available apartments when we moved up here.... it was a huge difference from the Big Horn Basin where I lived when I was last a WY resident. I wanted to get to know the area before purchasing, but at that point it was more feasible for us to purchase.... so we did. There are trade-offs for everything; I would hardly tell people not to move to Gillette because the rent was too high and the landlords I'd dealt with didn't want pets.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 42,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardgang5 View Post
If your looking to relocate to Gillette Wy you might want to think again. We are a family with 3 children and have "come home" to Gillette 5 months ago. We have yet to find a place to rent while we are building our home. We have a dog and Gillette is a NO PETS town period!!!
What are you talking about?! Ranch Creek apartments allow pets. We lived there for almost 2 years (we were trying to find a house, yes, for that long) and we had a cat. There's plenty of dogs in that apartment complex, and I am not saying small dogs - large dogs, like German Shepards and Labs.

As for moving to Gillette, I agree - you better off somewhere else. The oil and gas is shutting down. My husband just got a transfer (he works for Schlumberger) out of Gillette (thank God ) and the whole district is shutting down.

As for the county building new plant, well, if you read a newspaper a couple of days ago, they are stopping the construction.

I also love it how City-Data put the cost of living as low. Everything is so god damn expensive in Gillette! And prices are still going up on groceries and everything else. These people are smoking crack if they manage to come up with such prices! We've been here for 4 years and I CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE OUT. Just waiting for the school year to be done.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:40 PM

59 posts, read 226,408 times
original post is over 2 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming