Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,996,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I don't know why everybody is so afraid of the weather up here. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Sure, we've all got caught in a blizzard. But we don't have 365 of them each year. The way some people talk, it's a miracle they're still alive because they might need grocery's and won't be able to get any.

For several years in a row, we haven't had any snow to push the Elk off the top of the mountain.
That is another misconception I had about WY. I thought WY ALWAYS got snow in the winter in all areas, so this surprises me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,299,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That is another misconception I had about WY. I thought WY ALWAYS got snow in the winter in all areas, so this surprises me.
Last year, we got very little. I have a 4 wheeler with a blade on it. Kind of enjoy getting out and playing in the snow. I bladed my driveway 4 times this past winter. And in that 4 times, I never pushed more then 6 inches of snow.

Nothing to speak of.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:15 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,618,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I will most likely stay in Cheyenne, and take day trips to Casper and Laramie.
Cheyenne is a nice town to stay in. Laramie is about 45 minutes away. Casper 2 1/2 hours. Yes, it can snow in Cheyenne in September. The biggest thing to concern yourself with is wind--either between Cheyenne and Laramie, or between Cheyenne and Casper. The area on top of Sherman Hill between Cheyenne and Laramie can regularly see sustained winds of 50 mph+ with gusts to over 70 mph. Same in the area around Chugwater and Wheatland between Cheyenne and Casper. Mostly it is an inconvenience, but mix snow with it, and things can get interesting really fast.

This is the joke, but it is based quite bit in truth:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-05-2008, 03:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,996,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Cheyenne is a nice town to stay in. Laramie is about 45 minutes away. Casper 2 1/2 hours. Yes, it can snow in Cheyenne in September. The biggest thing to concern yourself with is wind--either between Cheyenne and Laramie, or between Cheyenne and Casper. The area on top of Sherman Hill between Cheyenne and Laramie can regularly see sustained winds of 50 mph+ with gusts to over 70 mph. Same in the area around Chugwater and Wheatland between Cheyenne and Casper. Mostly it is an inconvenience, but mix snow with it, and things can get interesting really fast.

This is the joke, but it is based quite bit in truth:

[IMG][/IMG]
LOL!!! Good one!

I got my mileage wrong on Cheyenne to Casper...it's almost 180, and I was thinking 100 or so. So, I'd probably want to spend at least one night in Casper to see the area.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:51 PM

430 posts, read 1,631,293 times
LOL!!!!! Yeah, I lived about 5 miles north of the windsock at the Bordeaux cut between Wheatland & Chugwater. I kid you not, all the way thru there - clear from Chey to Wheatland I couldn't count on both hands & feet how many semis, campers, trailers, etc. etc. I've seen twisted into pieces & tossed off the highway. Some with the towing vehicle, some w/o. I've just watched semis tip over in what seems like slo-mo. Yes, by Sept in that part of the state wind becomes a MAJOR factor. Don't advise a high profile or trailer vehicle.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I don't know why everybody is so afraid of the weather up here. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Sure, we've all got caught in a blizzard. But we don't have 365 of them each year. The way some people talk, it's a miracle they're still alive because they might need grocery's and won't be able to get any.

For several years in a row, we haven't had any snow to push the Elk off the top of the mountain.
Think it is that we've all had our great experiences & you don't want to give somebody who might come unprepared a false sense of security - could happen to them to get caught in one of those fluke storms. Believe me - when we got stuck in the blizzard from Rawlins to Cheyenne - and missed Laramie altogether it was so bad - we were DEFINITELY not ready for that one in any way. It was still fairly early in Oct. Ya just NEVER know when they are going to hit & when. And down in southeast it can hit hard & fast. Been there, done that & burned the t-shirt!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:16 PM

There's a difference between warning somebody and scaring the crap out of them so they won't come visit. These people are going to think that the North Pole X 10 and you've now encountered Wyoming.

It's just not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,864,717 times
I agree with EH. Heck just about any state can come up with winter driving horror stories from the past. We always got a good laugh when they had on the news people trying to drive in Dallas during an ice storm. The OP stated the she wouldn't take anything for granted realizing a winter storm is possible.

Quote:
Last fall, everybody was praying for a White Christmas and wasn't sure if they were going to get it. There just wasn't any snow. Most ski resorts opened 2 months late, if they opened at all.
I do want to mention that the 3 major ski resort in the Jackson area got near record snowfall this past season and did very well. I believe Jackson Hole got over 500" of the white stuff.
Jackson Hole Daily | Heavy snow breaking plows in Yellowstone

Old 07-05-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I agree with EH. Heck just about any state can come up with winter driving horror stories from the past. We always got a good laugh when they had on the news people trying to drive in Dallas during an ice storm. The OP stated the she wouldn't take anything for granted realizing a winter storm is possible.

I do want to mention that the 3 major ski resort in the Jackson area got near record snowfall this past season and did very well. I believe Jackson Hole got over 500" of the white stuff.
Jackson Hole Daily | Heavy snow breaking plows in Yellowstone
Yeah, I was talking about the Big Horns. The folks over in the Jackson area and Cody area used up all the good snow out of the storms before it got here.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Actually the last report I heard on jackson was in excess of 700 inches - and that was in about early April. Cody is pretty protected being butted up against the mountains so we don't get a lot o snow right here, but go 10 miles away - any direction - and can be a whole different story really fast.

the thing with Wyo in Oct it can be anything. If you are at all savvy at driving in the winter, you'll nearly always be fine in Wyo. Is like April tho - just reallllly unpredictable time of year.

My bro used to live in Nashville working at Vandie Univ for a couple or 3yrs (HATED it) & was shocked at how ppl drive when there is even snow in the air even tho it turned to water on the ground. Said they have "rain days" in schools instead of snow days. LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming