Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 06:31 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
IMO, you place any value in these types of studies at your own risk. Beware of the agenda's of the authors and funding sources.
Spot on.... Just look at the 'metrics'... like the number of people working from home? What does that have to do with anything good or bad? I'm with you 100%... don't even bother with such articles, as a 3rd grader would have better 'metrics'... like the stock of milk and cookies LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 09:08 PM

15 posts, read 13,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
You have not stated any preference for the type of scenery and region, or if you want to be in town or out in rural area.
Neither matters much. We're both introverts, so 4 white walls are fine for us.
Quote:
One thing not on your list to be looking for and at is water. Does not sound like you have any livestock, but even then, some homes/areas in WY do not have good water or do not even have a well and you may have to haul water. Just put that near the top of your list to ask about if you look at any home not in town.
This is a fantastic thing to mention, and I greatly appreciate it. We have no livestock, or even pets, but we drink distilled water (purified ourselves). However, water quality for showers/etc might be a consideration. I had no idea that some places had no water access period. Thank you for the tip!
Quote:
Lots of amazing info
Appreciate all the amazing the info you provided! Especially about the wood stoves and associated costs. Burning wood, cost, and everything sounds like a lot of extra work neither of us will be up for. We'll make sure to buy/build a place with electric/gas heat. For the power outages, do many households have backup, via generator or otherwise? Or is it just dealt with like they did 100 years ago?
Quote:
Spot on.... Just look at the 'metrics'... like the number of people working from home? What does that have to do with anything good or bad? I'm with you 100%... don't even bother with such articles, as a 3rd grader would have better 'metrics'... like the stock of milk and cookies LOL
Yeah, I looked at the way they judged it on metrics. That's clickbait at best and I won't use anything from that website as accurate info.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,549 times
Cody and Powell both have a great deal of new construction in subdivisions happening now and they are just close enough to town for convenience but far enough out to make them feel rural. And a couple of them offer fiber through TCT, our local internet provider. And Starlink is also available in Park county if you want a different option or live farther out of town. We switched to Starlink and are very satisfied with it.
Good luck with your search!

Old 04-07-2021, 09:21 PM

561 posts, read 438,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandI2 View Post
Couple in their 30s seeking to buy/build a home, have a child, and live out our years in Wyoming. He is a US white late 30s that needs reliable internet (100mbps) for his remote work, and I am a Kenyan immigrant in my early 30s that is a CNA/still in school for RN doing remote school. Obviously he can work anywhere, and while I am not opposed to travel CNA, I would prefer something local.

1) Are there any areas that are in high need of medical employees?
2) What areas provide the most reliable internet?
3) I read in a couple other forums that power loss was something frequent in Wyoming. Is this primarily in the remote areas? (I won't say rural, because Wyoming in general is rural, which we prefer)
4) I was reading there is a full 2 year backlog for houses being built due to building supply deficiencies. Is that truly the case?

5) Temperatures seem to run on average between 15-80. Does this sound accurate? Seems like a central air unit is hardly required.
6) As far as the low temps are concerned, we're very familiar with snow and have appropriate vehicles for them. Are the roads plowed, salted, or otherwise maintained for the most part, or does this stick mainly to major cities like Cheyenne?
7) Are there any bugs, animals, or pests native to Wyoming that warrant special consideration? Idaho has been tame with the rare exception of mountain lion sightings, but its worth asking.
8) I know Wyoming has no income taxes. His employer will be paying him Idaho wages. While this might not be exactly an accountant forum or providing tax advice, is anyone familiar with any special considerations for income earned from out of state?

9) Wood stoves - Looking at various houses to buy, it seems they almost all have a wood stove for one reason or another. Is this the primary means of heating, or have I just been looking at a specific slice of homes? I am not opposed to it necessarily, its just something I'm not used to seeing.
10) What time in general do cities shut down? In Idaho, about 10pm, nothing except bars are open. We're old enough that neither of us cares for any kind of night life, and if towns shut down early, that's fine, just trying to get a feel for it before settling down.
11) For cellular service, does it really matter, or are all of them "close enough" to providing service in home everywhere (not including remote areas)? I understand "Union," who is partnered with ATT is the best. We're currently with T-Mobile.
12) Any tips or otherwise useful info anyone would recommend with the move?

We are traveling from Idaho, so am aware of the demographics, and it does not bother us. We are an independent couple that enjoys our privacy and don't meddle in other's affairs.
I really wish we had more people like you all around the country. I'd love to be your (distant) neighbor out in the WY country somewhere. I wish you luck! I'll be following this topic to see what you come up with as my wife and I are looking to move to either northern ID or WY (with a smaller possibility of MT).

Old 04-07-2021, 09:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Will you need to travel back to ID (family?)

Do you need access to a commercial airport? (few choices in WY!) but MT, UT, SD and CO may be close as you can get to a commercial airport hub.

I would look to Star Valley or Powell / Cody...

or Sundance / Newcastle / Torrington (all quite different, but close(r) to other options for recreation / travel)

Sheridan is also an option, especially if you could land a job at Sheridan VA center. My sis did VA medical careers just for the free training and pension. She only had to work at VA one day / month to retain all benefits, then she contracted with 3 other hospitals for other shifts at substantially higher wages, and no Federal boss B.S.. VA paid for (4) separate medical training programs for her, then topped it off with a nice pension and benefits. (for life).

South Dakota is another nearby option. You can often get student debt forgiveness working x years in medical career on a NA reservation. My Primary Care M.D. claims that gig was the BEST education he got! (tho not pleasant)

Old 04-08-2021, 09:29 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
Quote:

1) Are there any areas that are in high need of medical employees?
2) What areas provide the most reliable internet?
3) I read in a couple other forums that power loss was something frequent in Wyoming. Is this primarily in the remote areas? (I won't say rural, because Wyoming in general is rural, which we prefer)
4) I was reading there is a full 2 year backlog for houses being built due to building supply deficiencies. Is that truly the case?

5) Temperatures seem to run on average between 15-80. Does this sound accurate? Seems like a central air unit is hardly required.
6) As far as the low temps are concerned, we're very familiar with snow and have appropriate vehicles for them. Are the roads plowed, salted, or otherwise maintained for the most part, or does this stick mainly to major cities like Cheyenne?
7) Are there any bugs, animals, or pests native to Wyoming that warrant special consideration? Idaho has been tame with the rare exception of mountain lion sightings, but its worth asking.
8) I know Wyoming has no income taxes. His employer will be paying him Idaho wages. While this might not be exactly an accountant forum or providing tax advice, is anyone familiar with any special considerations for income earned from out of state?

9) Wood stoves - Looking at various houses to buy, it seems they almost all have a wood stove for one reason or another. Is this the primary means of heating, or have I just been looking at a specific slice of homes? I am not opposed to it necessarily, its just something I'm not used to seeing.
10) What time in general do cities shut down? In Idaho, about 10pm, nothing except bars are open. We're old enough that neither of us cares for any kind of night life, and if towns shut down early, that's fine, just trying to get a feel for it before settling down.
11) For cellular service, does it really matter, or are all of them "close enough" to providing service in home everywhere (not including remote areas)? I understand "Union," who is partnered with ATT is the best. We're currently with T-Mobile.
12) Any tips or otherwise useful info anyone would recommend with the move?
I will respond to these based on the Star Valley area because that is where I live and what I know.

1) Check Star Valley Health for medical jobs in the Star Valley Area and St.Johns hospital for jobs in Jackson if you're okay with an hour commute. We do have a bus that takes you up and back from Jackson daily which many people use daily without issue.

2) Star Valley has decent internet. These used a bunch of the Cares funds to upgrade a lot of the valley to fiber internet, so it's even better than it was before. My husband is a computer guy and good internet was a must.

3)We have experienced very little power outages. I can't think of a single outage that lasted more than an hour or two in the four years we've lived here. It hasn't been an issue at all.

4) I don't know how long the houses are taking to build. I do know that there multiple houses being built all over our area all of a sudden, both last year and again this year they're starting up. Maybe they are new buyers, maybe they are backlogged buyers.

5)Your temperature scale seems pretty correct for our area. Heating is more important than cooling. We do not have air conditioning and it's totally fine. It just doesn't get that hot here, maybe one or two days over 90 in any given year. It also cools down nicely in the evenings, so it is not a lasting heat. Winters get cold for sure, but with some kind of heating you'll be fine, and the proper attire.

6) The roads in Wyoming are sanded. They do a great job on the highway, and the county roads. The dirt roads can get a little sketchy but with the right vehicle and winter tires you will be fine. I've gone through five winters here with a fwd Honda Civic with snow tires, and have yet to go off the road or get stuck, so yeah they do a pretty good job here on the roads.

7) We get moose here. There was one hanging out by my neighbors house. Large elk come down every winter. There's mule deer everywhere, and the occasional bear up in the more forested areas. Nothing that you don't have in Idaho I would imagine.

8) No clue on the tax stuff

9)A lot of people seem to use wood stoves as heating here, but we do not. We have cove heating that works amazingly well. We have a propane stove in our livingroom that we've never even used. The cove heating just makes any other heating source unnecessary, unless there was a power outage, but as I've said before those are very rare.

10) Towns here shut down super early, even on the weekends. Most everything but the bars are closed by 9. Good luck trying to find a place to eat at past 9.

11) For where we live in Star Valley Verizon is the best. Up in Jackson and the southern end of SV AT&T is the best. It really depends on where you decide to live.

12) Star Valley is beautiful, there are tons of outside activities to enjoy year round. You can be as outgoing or as reclusive as you choose to be and fit in fine. People here are generally friendly and helpful. Very high LDS population here, the more south you go in the valley, the stronger it is, buts it's everywhere. However there is a church for Jehovah's Witnesses, Christians, and Bahai's as well. So there is a small subset of other religions here.
Nothing for the jewish faith that I know of, but I believe there is up in Jackson.

Last edited by Crazy4Chickens; 04-08-2021 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: It cut off half my post

Old 04-09-2021, 08:36 AM

15 posts, read 13,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
I really wish we had more people like you all around the country. I'd love to be your (distant) neighbor out in the WY country somewhere. I wish you luck! I'll be following this topic to see what you come up with as my wife and I are looking to move to either northern ID or WY (with a smaller possibility of MT).
Thanks, and best of luck to you and yours as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Will you need to travel back to ID (family?)
Nope! That's half the reason we're leaving ID actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Do you need access to a commercial airport? (few choices in WY!) but MT, UT, SD and CO may be close as you can get to a commercial airport hub.
This is exactly the types of tips I was hoping for. I checked and saw there were 5 smaller airports, but didn't look into the specifics on them. I suppose this means none of them are larger, which isn't surprising. Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I will respond to these based on the Star Valley area because that is where I live and what I know.
Thank you for confirming a lot of the assumptions we had! Neither of us has seen a moose, so we're tentatively looking forward to that. Right now we've been looking at houses in the Gillette area. Mainly because it seems like you get so much house for your buck. But we're open to anywhere.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Right now we've been looking at houses in the Gillette area. Mainly because it seems like you get so much house for your buck. But we're open to anywhere.
Just learn about the local economy of each area you consider. Example: Gillette is in the middle of the coal belt in NE WY. With the 'war on coal' back in full swing with the current federal politics, the coal related employment in WY is going down (and has been for the last decade or so), so that is keeping the Gillette area property values down.

If nothing else replaces the mining, then the area will remain depressed to some degree for the forseeable future; house prices could go even lower. What IDK is how much agriculture makes up the regional economy in the Gillette area. There are 1 or 2 regular posters who know that area much better.

Seen this for a long, long time in WV and eastern PA and parts of KY. In WY, Kemmerer is a good example of a town in WY that is 'less than prosperous' as the coal mines in that area have declined; but it is not as bad as parts of WV and PA where there was nothing else economically besides coal.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:41 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,295,326 times
Quote:
Just learn about the local economy of each area you consider. Example: Gillette is in the middle of the coal belt in NE WY. With the 'war on coal' back in full swing with the current federal politics, the coal related employment in WY is going down (and has been for the last decade or so), so that is keeping the Gillette area property values down.

If nothing else replaces the mining, then the area will remain depressed to some degree for the forseeable future; house prices could go even lower. What IDK is how much agriculture makes up the regional economy in the Gillette area. There are 1 or 2 regular posters who know that area much better.

Seen this for a long, long time in WV and eastern PA and parts of KY. In WY, Kemmerer is a good example of a town in WY that is 'less than prosperous' as the coal mines in that area have declined; but it is not as bad as parts of WV and PA where there was nothing else economically besides coal.
Wife had a MRI yesterday in Gillette IO looked up farm tractor repair , so I could go with her. Tire had a gash in side wall so needed a new one everyplace there said tomorrow. Need it same day , so we drover the 120 miles to Belle Fourchu to get one. Yes know those lost jobs in coal. seem those in oil patch are slowly going back to work. Ranches as a whole are large here , but most have family working. There always a few hired hands.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Wife had a MRI yesterday in Gillette IO looked up farm tractor repair , so I could go with her. Tire had a gash in side wall so needed a new one everyplace there said tomorrow. Need it same day , so we drover the 120 miles to Belle Fourchu to get one. Yes know those lost jobs in coal. seem those in oil patch are slowly going back to work. Ranches as a whole are large here , but most have family working. There always a few hired hands.
There ya go..... Is there much gas and oil up around Gillette? Sounds like there is a decent ag economy there; that certainly helps out long term.

I recall stopping at a restaurant in downtown Belle Fourche almost 40 years ago.... it was the old style downtown restaurant. We remember it because it had dozens of pictures of local ranchers and farmers on the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming