Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2020, 04:57 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,422,406 times

Advertisements

I am interested in doing this to save on water and maintenance. Any experiences would be appreciated.
My lot is only 3500 sf, and there is a smallish house and detached garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 07:46 AM

233 posts, read 276,999 times
Always had a rock lawn. Always infuriated me when newcomers would take out the native grasses and put in Zoysia or KY blue grass. Water is a premium in most of the west and too WASTE it on grass! I planted hardy flowers in raised beds near the house. And alfalfa in the back yard. Never watered it and it did just fine. The deer and other critters ate all they wanted and for the cats - it was there fav place to play hide/seek.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:30 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
Always had a rock lawn. Always infuriated me when newcomers would take out the native grasses and put in Zoysia or KY blue grass. Water is a premium in most of the west and too WASTE it on grass! I planted hardy flowers in raised beds near the house. And alfalfa in the back yard. Never watered it and it did just fine. The deer and other critters ate all they wanted and for the cats - it was there fav place to play hide/seek.
National Range Team came and looked at a our forest allotment. Our Forest range con was complaining about all the Poa and Pooideae
. one of the national range con's looked at him and said "it covers the ground , doesn't it" . was the best part of the whole day. next best was the willows, they been grazed more by the elk and moose then the cows, we spent awhile learning to tell which had taken off the end of the branch.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:02 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,422,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
Yeah, many feel like they are entitled to a grass lawn.. even in the desert. Is it necessary to use a ground cover under the rock?

Old 12-04-2020, 10:10 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Is it necessary to use a ground cover under the rock?
A ground cover will stop the weeds from coming up. Without a week barrier, the first year won't be so bad, but by the third year, they will be unmanageable. You could spray, but a weed barrier is more efficient.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-04-2020, 01:51 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Xeriscaping with native plants in a rock garden area may be possible at your site.

Best to consult with your County Extension Office agent, where you may find that a knowledgeable County Horticulturist is on staff. Their services are free, backed by the UW and local county funding; they may be able to do a site visit to evaluate and recommend options. The "local" knowledge they have may be extensive.

As well, area nursery's may have local knowledge as to what will grow in there and what you'll need to do to establish and maintain a xeriscape with native plants. I'm referring to independent local businesses, not the big box store "garden" department staffed with clerks and a national/regional purchasing department manager/buyer.

Some of the native plants may be durable and hardy, some will require a bit more maintenance and replacement now and then due to climate conditions in a given year being more than they can tolerate. And some only have a few year limited lifespans where they will need to be replanted.

For the most part, establishing any garden or landscaping here in Wyoming is a difficult proposition. The few well established and prolific gardens/landscaping that you may see in the area are generally the result of a lot of dedicated work and years of attention with suitable plants for the area.

A ground cover before placing the rock may be advisable. Again, this is a site specific decision and you'll be well served to seek the guidance of experienced local knowledge. Perhaps there is a local Master Gardener group of volunteers that can also be a resource for you. Generally, the easiest way to locate and contact such folk will be through the County Extension office.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:09 PM

322 posts, read 587,727 times
I like Xeriscaping; better yet, leave whatever is natural. Lawns are for golf, tennis and croquet.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:47 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
We live in the West and used a high quality Astro-turf. It’s better for the dogs to run and play.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,548 times
Default More work!!

I would not recommend a rock lawn unless you live in an area of WY with less wind if such a place exists!
When we moved here 25 years ago I put down a liner (most durable I could find) and truckloads of river rock.
I spent hours pulling weeds from the rocks every day during the summer. Wind blows dirt into the rock allowing weeds to start. I still have river rock around the edge of my house...the liner is completely deteriorated.
I gave up and bought native WY seed (Manderson, WY) which is expensive but works and now have a lawn which requires little water. Maybe a mixture of rock and grass or ground cover would work for you.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming