Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 01:10 AM

65 posts, read 44,582 times

Advertisements

Cities and towns having RR tracks run through them is often more of a rule, than an exception. Same goes for the I80 corridor. Just wondering how they impact everyday life, especially sleeping. Big difference in the hum of a train and the thunderous crash of an 80 car frieght train hooking up with another forty cars. How close is too close? Do any of them create bad smells for the town? Cattle, fertilizer, feed, etc? What do they do to home values? Thoughts and opinions welcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 07:56 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,351,982 times
Everything you said, rings true.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:54 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,968,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamFong View Post
Cities and towns having RR tracks run through them is often more of a rule, than an exception. Same goes for the I80 corridor. Just wondering how they impact everyday life, especially sleeping. Big difference in the hum of a train and the thunderous crash of an 80 car frieght train hooking up with another forty cars. How close is too close? Do any of them create bad smells for the town? Cattle, fertilizer, feed, etc? What do they do to home values? Thoughts and opinions welcome?
I grew up in a railroad town and I like the sound of a train in the distance. I find it calming. Hearing trains hooking up at a distance is also a neat sound. I don't recall any strong smells.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:02 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,352,056 times
Livestock hasn't moved by rail in any appreciable quantities in the United States since the early 1980's; the movement of live hogs from Council Bluffs, IA to Farmer John's packing plant in L. A. (along the I-80 / Union Pacific corridor) was the last gasp of a dying activity.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:29 PM

138 posts, read 172,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I grew up in a railroad town and I like the sound of a train in the distance. I find it calming. Hearing trains hooking up at a distance is also a neat sound. I don't recall any strong smells.
Same. I'm a bit more than a mile from the Casper yard. I can hear them when I sleep outside at night in the summer. It's homey, but that could be me.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:01 AM

65 posts, read 44,582 times
Anyone care to guestimate how many trains per day coming through Evanston, Rawlins, or Rock Springs? How about the coal trains? Is that a big part of the I80 route, or does that stay more north?

Old 08-04-2020, 09:12 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,352,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamFong View Post
Anyone care to guestimate how many trains per day coming through Evanston, Rawlins, or Rock Springs? How about the coal trains? Is that a big part of the I80 route, or does that stay more north?
There is an enterprise known as Virtual Railfan, which maintains trackside streaming-video cameras at trackside locations which see a lot of rail traffic; Laramie,WY is one of them.

https://virtualrailfan.com/laramie-wy-hd/

Coal traffic via Scottsbluff, NE is slowly declining, and actual figures of train movements are hard to come by, and traffic varies from day to day, with Tuesday as the usual low point due to less traffic originating in both Chicago and California over the weekend -- but a ballpark figure would be 50-60 trains daily. The Burlington Northern Santa Fe mainline across Northern Arizona and New Mexico probably sees somewhat heavier traffic.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:56 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,299,856 times
RR haven't hauled cattle for almost 50 years, in the 70s they were tearing out livestock sidings, last load of steers we sent to Illinois (late 70s) about 1/8 of them didn't make it and took the buyer a few years to get all his money from the RR. Know thru lot of towns they have longer rails so not all the click clack.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:02 AM

5,769 posts, read 11,395,221 times
In WY, the same issue with living near a main RR line would apply to anywhere else. At grade level street crossings (including those with drop down traffic gates), the trains are required to blast their air horns multiple times. If you live within a mile of that grade level crossing, pretty sure thing that you will hear the air horn blast inside the house, maybe even with the windows closed. At night, when all other daytime noise is not present and you are trying to sleep, it might be even more of an issue.

If there is no rail yard in a town, most trains won't stop there to couple / uncouple cars. If there is no grade level crossing and the tracks simply pass through an area, the trains would normally not blast the air horns. In that case, there would be just the heavy, low-rumble noise of the locomotive and freight cars rolling by. If you were a mile away, chances are a well insulated house would not pick up much of that rumble noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming