Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 10:48 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
5G, when implemented to where it will fulfill its promise, requires very large numbers of small base stations, all of which require wired/fiber 'backhaul' lines to connect the base stations to their switching centers. That is going to limit its deployment to rural areas for a very long time; the cell providers' are essentially having to change their business model for backhaul lines from leasing such lines from telco providers, to building their own lines. (Yes, the cost is HUGE.) This makes it only cost effective for the urban areas. So that leaves the rural areas with just standard cell tower service, and the part of so-called 5G that is really just an upgraded 4G that forms 1 part of the whole 5G family of technologies.

So you may see true 5G in spots like Cheyenne and Laramie and them maybe Sheridan and Cody, and so forth. But 'when' is 'probably not soon'. If you really dig into the actual present 5G deployments in the US, it is just in spotty areas in the urban core areas.
Great points.. So that would make the debut of Starlink that much more important.. Any talk on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 03:27 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
A funny thing about cel service. When we lived in Wyoming our only provider was Cellular One. Verizon was talking about coming in, but it didn't happen for a long time. We had portable analog bag phones and got great reception. When digital came about the service got spotty. You could be within a hundred yards of a tower and not get a signal. We went back to the bag phones. Kept using them, until moving down to Georgia - where no one would transfer the service. Ended up with Apple phones.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:28 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I thought the wind turbines already killed them.
The turbines here do. But so do the airplanes.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:30 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Great points.. So that would make the debut of Starlink that much more important.. Any talk on that?
Here is a current discussion thread on another technical forum site. https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/co...y_allocations/

I counted the total frequency spectrum and it is 61 or 6.2 G Hz total. Some has to be allocated to uplink (you link BACK to the internet) and some has to go to the earth link (from the satellite back to the ground station and then on to the internet or wherever. So maybe that leaves 2.5GHz from each satellite to users on the downlink... that is just an educated guess per satellite, and the real answer might be different as the average number of satellites in view in a certain area can be a factor and how much user demand there is in oe area can depend on the user demand in surrounding areas.

Compared to fiber... that is still a very small bandwidth. So having a link to rural areas is the goal, but it cannot ever have the user + speed capacity of a wired/fiber network or even a cellular network with a lot of nodes (base stations).

Old 08-21-2020, 07:07 AM

17 posts, read 25,642 times
Quote:
A funny thing about cel service. When we lived in Wyoming our only provider was Cellular One. Verizon was talking about coming in, but it didn't happen for a long time. We had portable analog bag phones and got great reception. When digital came about the service got spotty. You could be within a hundred yards of a tower and not get a signal. We went back to the bag phones. Kept using them, until moving down to Georgia - where no one would transfer the service. Ended up with Apple phones.
The old bag phones, which used analog signals, put out between 3 and 5 watts when transmitting. The modern handheld smart phone, using digital signals, puts out about 1/4 watt or less, which accounts for some of the difference in performance. You could be further from the cell tower with 5 watts and get a better signal.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:52 AM

156 posts, read 189,062 times
I had Hughesnet for a couple years at my garage in Wright. It was slow because of the latency issue. It was just the nature of the beast. But after Covid-19 it got way worst. I moved the dish out to my remote location, aligned it and got a good signal but it wasn't working. I tried to get one of the sunbcontractors in Casper to come and look at it and after 2 weeks I realized they just didn't want to come out this far (Lance Creek). I found a company called Vistrabeam which alot of people out here use. They came out and installed it for a initial install fee of $199 and the monthly charge for 16G speed is $84/mo. The monthly charge for the slower speed (8G) is around $60/mo. I posted to this effect on the Hughesnet tech support website and they deleted my posts. I canceled them. I still have to send back the equipment, of course.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:00 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
My new wifi is giving me 200 down and 20 up

Old 09-06-2020, 09:35 AM

180 posts, read 215,041 times
My apartment in Douglas has Vyve Broadband.

I'm quite happy with it - this is wired speeds, not wifi.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:43 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Wired should be much higher. Mine costs me $70/mo.
What's yours cost?

Old 09-06-2020, 02:35 PM

180 posts, read 215,041 times
Quote:
Wired should be much higher. Mine costs me $70/mo.
What's yours cost?
Not sure. lol

Currently living in an apartment that the Gov rents out for seasonal employees and it's included.

https://vyvebroadband.com/internet/

According to that, it should be $40/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming