Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 12:00 AM

15,470 posts, read 9,161,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteq View Post
In brief: I am a French student doing a master's degree in CA. This is my second and last year here.

Before going back to France, I want to do this trip. Any suggestions (weather, places, warnings)? I am doing it by myself.

Friday 3/22 - Sat 3/23

UTAH: Salt Lake City and surroundings

Sunday 3/24

IDAHO: Pocatello and Idaho Falls (where should I spend the night here? in which of them?).

Monday 3/25

WYOMING! Yellowstone Of course! Here, where to stay? I have no idea! I wanna see the bears, take a walk in Yellowstone.

should I stay 2 days there? Any near places?

So Tuesday 3/26 OR Wednesday 3/27

Montana to Bozeman I wanna also go on a day trip to Big Sky!

Friday 3/28 Back to California.

What do you think of this schedule?
If it was summer time, I would say go for it. But this would not be a good time of year for that trip. Many of the roads are closed this time of year. And as others have said, you are not giving it enough time anyway. Instead, why don't you consider driving or flying to Las Vegas, then drive to Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Glen Canyon, Canyonlands National Park, and to Moab Utah. Then back to Las Vegas and LA. Alternatively you might want to consider Phoenix, Arizona and the Grand Canyon. This is the perfect time of year to visit the Southwest. Well actually it might still be a bit cold, but still a pretty good time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 AM

51 posts, read 35,740 times
Thank you very much (all of you!) for the helpful comments.

OK, I see that most of you are telling me not to do it. I am thinking of being more cautious. Will it be safe to fly from LA to SLC then stay there for around 4 days and drive to Idaho to see Pocatello? and back to SLC on the same day? on another day, I'd like to drive to Evanston WY. What do you think? I am not going too far (Yellowstone.....)

What do you think?

Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM

8,511 posts, read 8,852,844 times
The weather looks fairly mild for SLC toward end of month. Highs in 50s F with some rain. Probably some new snow in higher areas but not too bad. Yeah flying to SLC and using it as main base could work out. Do day trips or one nighters to nearby areas as you wish and conditions permit.

In SE Idaho, there are various natural and commercial hot springs, if that interests.

Can you get a decent air fare this late? I'd check deep and decide soon.

I'd look at winter driving tips online. The main ones being don't jam on the brakes on snow & ice, use gears instead. Be precise, not fast, not too slow either. Carry extra clothes, food, water. A shovel. If stuck, stop, look, put something under tire for traction. Branches, a car floor mat, sand (if you bought a bag), whatever. Don't spin tires fast. Slow, back and forth probably. If someone offers to pull you, make sure they hookup to a spot on frame that can take the pull.

If the weather is going to be bad, stay inside or find a place to get out of it before it gets bad.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-18-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 03:54 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,484,789 times
I say you should go and plan your trips according to the weather when you get there. There is much to see around that area. Consider an overnight trip south from SLC to Zion National Park. And there is Promontory Summit north of the Great Salt Lake, where the 1st transcontinental railroad was joined.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 03-18-2019, 06:54 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,268,734 times
Your plan sounds reasonable to me. Actually, there are a number of National Parks south of SLC that you might enjoy. I like Arches NP but haven't been to the others. Next time I'm in the area I hope to try another one or two.

Evanston should be an easy trip, all interstate highway, although it is over a mountain. The toughest part for me would be getting out of SLC and avoiding the city traffic (which seems to go forever out of SLC). There's not much in Evanston, but it is a pretty drive. And I assume you have some reason for going there.

We've had major melting in NE Wyoming the last couple days, and that's probably true throughout most of the state (with the possible exception of higher mountain areas), so most of the roads might be fine.

I don't know if you've got this, but it's usually pretty accurate: https://map.wyoroad.info

Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 AM

7,393 posts, read 12,712,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteq View Post
Thank you very much (all of you!) for the helpful comments.

OK, I see that most of you are telling me not to do it. I am thinking of being more cautious. Will it be safe to fly from LA to SLC then stay there for around 4 days and drive to Idaho to see Pocatello? and back to SLC on the same day? on another day, I'd like to drive to Evanston WY. What do you think? I am not going too far (Yellowstone.....)

What do you think?
I know the urge to just see a little more while you have the opportunity, and (probably) a Spring Break! If you're going to go through with a SLC trip, go all the way to Idaho Falls. Get a hotel on the river, by the Falls. It is beautiful. You can probably get a room at the Best Western Driftwood (best ratings), the Roadway, or Red Lion Inn on the river. Then walk to the bridge, and take some cool pics of the Falls. Idaho Falls also has a wonderful world-class museum, Museum of Idaho. Everything is within walking distance of the river and the hotels--especially if you're used to the European style of city-walking.

A side trip from Idaho Falls to Jackson Hole is doable, weather permitting. Much more doable than Yellowstone, because you can stay in the town of Jackson, and just drive up the road and get a view of the Tetons, and take some pictures. And the elk refuge is right there along the road, so you should see some elk. And Jackson has a lot of very cool (if expensive) stores you might enjoy, featuring Western-style clothing and artifacts.

With all due respect, there is not a whole lot to see in Evanston, IMO (we were just there last summer), but just up the road at Fort Bridger there is the coolest frontier museum within the restored 19th century fort. That was a fantastic experience. If you want to experience authentic Old West history, head for Ft Bridger--weather permitting. Right now it is only open on weekends.

But I do want to join the chorus singing a warning song to you: If you love this country, you'll want to come back and do some more exploring. Save the winter places for a summer visit when you can drive safely on the roads, and have access to mountain roads. If there is any way you can extend your stay past the Spring semester, do that, and go explore some more in May or June. The trip from SLC to Ketchum and Stanley would be on top of my list, but even in April there can be very high show drifts. I've been there during Spring Break, and the ski season was still going strong. The Sun Valley resort was very picturesque with 3-4 ft icicles hanging from the roofs, but I'd save that place for a summer trip...

A trip to Arches and Canyonlands would also be on top of my list, but Arches is also at very high altitude, and the weather could be a factor. Whatever you decide, be wise, be careful, and have a good time!

Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,783 posts, read 58,251,797 times
Yes, I too, would skip Evanston, but I really enjoy Ft Bridger (I usually stopped there for a nap while the kids played).

I can see what I want of SLC in about 2 hrs. (I prefer countryside / mtns / hot springs).
If your trip is short duration and you have long distances to travel... , consider doing the car travel distances at night.

I have also often 'car camped' in Yellowstone / Tetons due to busy lodges. I go do a shower about 10 PM at lodge ($4) and then sleep in the car in parking lot and leave before dawn.

Bit chilly, but nothing quite as memorable as bathing in the Yellowstone River!

BTW: Tourist areas / National Parks by car are best done from 4AM - 10AM and 4PM to 10 PM (More wildlife, less people, much less traffic.)

Old 03-20-2019, 12:32 AM

51 posts, read 35,740 times
I don't know what will I do without your helpful comments!

OK, I've just booked my trip! I didn't book the accommodation yet, I am staying in Airbnb.

Booked the ticket because I've got points, so it's a good chance, I seized it.

The trip is:

Early morning Sunday 3/24 Flying from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City

Friday evening 3/29 Flying from Las Vegas to Los Angeles (not far, but I have a good chance with the ticket as I told you, otherwise I'll drive from Vegas to LA)!

I know this is Wyoming form. But my questions are general based on your knowledge.

I am thinking of staying on the first day in SLC, I will arrive at 9 am there, so I will have the full day!

2nd Day (Monday) Driving to Idaho Falls, enjoying the day there. OR, I might go to Idaho Falls in the early morning and return to SLC in the evening! I am an early bird, so I can drive at 6 am and will be there, I will make sure to drive back to SLC before it gets dark!

3rd day Tuesday I am thinking of driving to St George Utah, stay there, and from there visit Zion National Park.

Wednesday? I don't know.

Thursday Vegas (at least wanna stay there for a day before Friday). FYI, I visited Vegas twice before, so I am not really that into it, I can spend Thursday night there.

BUT, Once I am in Idaho Falls, Wyoming and Montana borders will be a few miles away (each around 70 miles). If it is possible, I would like to visit at least to take pictures with the State Welcoming Sign! (It might be silly lol, but I do it every time when I visit new states)! Here, I can spend the night in Idaho Falls.

I am not yet sure about the schedule, I got the ticket and I got the car as well. I'd like to hear from you and based on that will do the Airbnb bookings!!

Old 03-20-2019, 01:44 AM

603 posts, read 445,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAQUERO 45 View Post
Yeah I have heard that from others (about bears) . I live in sw Fla 34117 (east side) and theres a ton of black bears around here (between Naples and edge of Fla everglades ) .
This is what everyone is talking about GG being infested with bears ... I’ve never seen a bear but I did see a dead bear that was roadkill on Immokalee rd on somebody’s Facebook.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:42 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,484,789 times
Hi OP,

Your plan sounds reasonable to me... you have some ideas and goals.... but can be flexible, which is the key to winter travel. Unless a wide area blizzard shows up next week, I am sure you will find some great things to see to take advantage of your time here. Snow is melting so I think you will find mostly clear main highways. Check on the parks being open before you visit them. Use the highway camera site to help you see the road conditions.

As for MT and WY, your closest point is WY east of SLC, or east of Idaho Falls going to Jackson. As for MT, the closest point is going to be West Yellowstone; Big Sky is just an hour north of there. If you head up to Idaho Falls, then you can get to both of those places from Idaho Falls.

Have a good time and be safe! Drop us a note after and let us know how well it worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming