Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 05:12 AM

5,604 posts, read 5,088,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
No.

The effects of altitude sickness are due to lower oxygen levels in the bloodstream because the lungs/heart capacity is impaired compared to what the body is acclimated to at lower elevation.

Folk who live at the higher elevations have bodies acclimated to working more effectively to maintain the normal range of blood oxygenation. When healthy folk arrive at the higher elevations, it may take them a couple of days to acclimate to that cardio system coming up to the levels needed.

For some folk, the acclimation process in hardly noticed. For some folk, it can be a minor inconvenience. For some folk, it can be a difficult process and marked symptoms are noticed.

And for some folk, their bodies never seem to acclimate and they have symptoms until they return to lower elevations. It's not uncommon to see folk in these higher elevations using supplemental oxygen to address the problem … especially folk with compromised cardio-vascular conditions from many different causes. Some of them may have been living successfully at altitude for years and then their health issues catch up with them and require oxygen supplementation and the possibility of needing to relocate to lower elevations. I know several people who have found themselves in this situation … had to leave the Rocky Mountain area and head to sea level living for these health reasons.
That's very interesting. Now I hope I don't have that problem when I finally move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 06:09 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,491,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
That's very interesting. Now I hope I don't have that problem when I finally move
Do you have any issues when you fly commercially for several hours? Or when you visited the area before? If not, then you should not fret since the aircraft cabins are not pressurized to sea level but to typically around 8,000 ft equivalent pressure. You can find articles on that matter. If that level of pressurization was a problem for any significant portion of the population, that would have been long ago figured out. Human physiology versus altitude has been studied in depth for almost 100 years.

As said, it is due to the lower oxygen pressures and the lower amounts of oxygen that you can get. Everyone is different, and who has the most effects is mostly a matter of individual physiology.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:17 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Do you have any issues when you fly commercially for several hours? Or when you visited the area before? If not, then you should not fret since the aircraft cabins are not pressurized to sea level but to typically around 8,000 ft equivalent pressure. You can find articles on that matter. If that level of pressurization was a problem for any significant portion of the population, that would have been long ago figured out. Human physiology versus altitude has been studied in depth for almost 100 years.

As said, it is due to the lower oxygen pressures and the lower amounts of oxygen that you can get. Everyone is different, and who has the most effects is mostly a matter of individual physiology.
Sorry, but your baseline of the 8,000' elevation pressure in an aircraft totally misses the difference in activity there compared to being "on the ground" at altitude.

The aircraft environment is a quite sedentary activity. You're seated for the duration of the flight and pretty confined as to exerting any movement at all. Folk have to go to some extremes to even perform isometric exercises just to keep from pooling blood in their lower extremities.

Ain't nobody walking around carrying groceries, walking any distances (not even parking lot from car to store length), or engaging in much physical activity while in that aircraft cabin. Nobody playing tennis, riding a bicycle, jogging, hiking to a tourist vista, working out at a gym, or skiing up there. Nobody walking even the short distance from the front entrance of a fast food joint to the order window and then back to their seating or vehicle. And alcohol intake (for those who imbibe), an oft-times critical influence on altitude sickness, is pretty restricted, too.

The airlines have found out the compromise of what works for "most people" re cabin pressurization levels. But they get the luxury of not having active people in their cabins. Even so, the cabin crew is trained to recognize people that may be in distress and to administer supplemental oxygen as needed … and I've seen that done a few times on flights as short as 4 hours, and once on an 11 hour overseas flight.

I've had short-term "guests" at my ranch here in Wyoming who arrived from their sea-level homes, planning on horseback riding when they arrived here. Flew to Denver and then drove a couple hours to the place. By the time they got here, they were "beat", and recognized that they were pretty lethargic. Even getting on a horse was more activity then they were comfortable doing for a day or two. Friends with dude ranches around Wyoming see the same thing … people plan on doing so many activities, playing golf, fishing, playing tennis, hiking around, swimming laps in the pool like they do every day back at home … and coming up short, sometimes with minor headaches, etc. The resolution is to "take it easy" for a day or two and acclimate to the altitude, doing some of the sedentary activities offered at the facilities. Other visitors to my house in Vail, a few thousand feet higher in elevation, planning on a ski vacation discover that they're not "up to speed", either, for a few days.

Again, it's important to recognize that everybody will be affected by the higher elevations. The issue becomes to "what extent" will they experience the difference and how long it will take to become acclimated. For some folk, no big deal. For some folk, they'll notice the symptoms. For some folk, it's a big deal for a day or two. And for some folk, it can be quite a bit more daunting of an experience to acclimate, if at all.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-24-2019 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
The best approach is to plan on giving yourself ample time and opportunity to acclimate.

So plan on lower levels of activity for a few days when you first arrive at altitude.

If you're feelin' good and can take on normal activity soon after arrival, so be it.

If not, a day or two should be sufficient to adjust … for most people.

But if you're still kinda' logy for a few more days, that wouldn't be unusual, either. Some folk may be more sensitive to their body then others, too.

All depends upon your general physical condition and cardio-vascular system health. Most people who may be under the effects wouldn't know that it could be an issue until they arrive here … of course, folks with impaired lung capacity (emphysema, heavy smokers, etc) should anticipate the likelihood of some difficulty for awhile.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:26 PM

I see your point about the activity levels, Sunsprit. But that is not the whole story, and I'll repeat the advice that if you are good in an aircraft, that is good sign. It is not all sedentary, and some folks' stresses on an aircraft equate to moderate activity off-aircraft. So you can't just dismiss it.

There are gobs and gobs of folks living in the 5,000'-10,000' elevation range and there is no sort of epidemic of altitude sickness. What I think is more key is whether people like nowhereman DO eventually acclimatize (if they have any real issues or not). If so, then I think they need to be re-assured that the odds are very high that they will acclimatize, rather than being worried over an issue that is really pretty small. It sounds like most of the folks you see indeed do acclimatize, and being tired after a trip can't be conclusive evidence of any sort of altitude issue, so some of these activity related observations are misleading IMHO.

Bottom line: I think it would be a terrible shame for the OP to be scared out of going on her trip due to something blown out of proportion.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I see your point about the activity levels, Sunsprit. But that is not the whole story, and I'll repeat the advice that if you are good in an aircraft, that is good sign.

Pray tell, what cardio-vascular activities take place on a commercial flight? Lifting the weight of a beverage cup to one's lips? Wrestling with airline food? Walking a few steps to the bathroom at a fast pace?

a couple hours from the coasts to Denver at an 8,000' cabin altitude is but a brief time of exposure compared to being on the ground for days. If you've ever read the actual medical charts developed by the military decades ago about this exposure, you'd know that the differential for folk coming from sea level to 5,000' is far more stress than for somebody who is acclimated at 5,000' to then ascend to 8,000 or even 10,000'.

It is not all sedentary, and some folks' stresses on an aircraft equate to moderate activity off-aircraft. So you can't just dismiss it.

I'm with you … some folks' experience on an aircraft could be as much a stressor as moderate activity off aircraft. Screaming youngsters, being kicked in the back of your seat, and other known inconveniences can certainly "stress" some folk to elevated BP and HR's. So I won't … and haven't … dismissed it.

There are gobs and gobs of folks living in the 5,000'-10,000' elevation range and there is no sort of epidemic of altitude sickness.

Of course not (and I've never asserted same, so don't start putting words in my mouth, OK?)

Absolutely, as I've repeatedly pointed out … most folk acclimatize fairly soon. The difference across them is some don't feel much effect, some do, and some can have a more serious, somewhat debilitating reaction for a couple of days.

What I think is more key is whether people like nowhereman DO eventually acclimatize (if they have any real issues or not).

Everybody is affected. The concern is to what degree and for how long. Thank you for agreeing with what I've repeatedly posted.

If so, then I think they need to be re-assured that the odds are very high that they will acclimatize, rather than being worried over an issue that is really pretty small. It sounds like most of the folks you see indeed do acclimatize, and being tired after a trip can't be conclusive evidence of any sort of altitude issue, so some of these activity related observations are misleading IMHO.

Given that this is an anonymous forum and neither of us know the physical condition and any potential medical issues from the OP, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and tell them that there is a possibility of some noticeable effects from the altitude change which may present and persist for a few days. Being forewarned and prepared to adjust one's schedule of activity in accordance with their acclimatization process is nothing more than being prudent about planning a trip to altitude from sea level.

It's no different than recognizing that a "dive trip" to sport SCUBA diving decompression dive depths is best not followed by a flight to higher elevations. The divemasters on every dive trip I've been to always caution the divers about such pressure changes and the possibility of an issue arising. Generally, they will schedule the shallower dives for the day before flights outbound to minimize the risks. Similarly, it's prudent for folk coming from sea level elevations to the "high country" ski resorts to not plan on a hearty day of skiing shortly after arrival. Denver to the local ski areas can be but a matter of an hour or two, or fly into Aspen and you can be on the slopes within the hour. Many folk … and I've seen many folk over the last 5 decades, especially with being a rental property owner and catering to our "guests' " needs during their stay … have quite the impairment from thinking they're here to ski hard and party hardy from the first moment of arrival.

Being tired is but one of the symptoms that can present. Headaches and a low tolerance for physical activity are typical others which can reach the level of cognitive impairment.

Bottom line: I think it would be a terrible shame for the OP to be scared out of going on her trip due to something blown out of proportion.
OK. Nobody here has raised the legitimate concern to the level of such alarm as you interpret the situation "to be scared of going on her trip".

It's a possibility that can and does present for everybody and it's simply better, IMO, to be forewarned that it may happen to YOU. Being knowledgeable and prepared is far better than being caught out and not knowing what's going on and how to deal with the situation.

It's one of those things in life that is "no big deal" … until the day comes when it is. I've taken several people to the Emergency Room for observation and treatment who thought they were undergoing far more serious symptoms than they understood could present … and a couple of them were MD's who really thought they were having serious cardiac problems. All was well with them upon giving themselves time to rest and sometimes getting supplemental oxygen. One didn't acclimate very well at all in several days (he was a jogger and fitness fanatic, worked out every day at a big gym with all the fancy equipment) … he was here to give an address at the Aspen Institute and planned on an overnight stay in Denver before heading up the hill for a few days. He thought he was having a heart attack, and that's from a guy who would know the symptoms. Fortunately, all was OK with a day of oxygen supplementation and rest in Denver before I drove him up to Aspen (part of my auto shop services, he'd borrowed a Rolls Royce from one of my customers but wanted somebody familiar with the roads and the car to chauffeur him to/from his hotel in Aspen), and then he was fine at altitude. But he did have his moments of distress before getting it all resolved and acclimating.

PS: my bet is that I've encountered far more tourists coming to this area than you've dealt with. As a ski resort property owner and a backcountry GA pilot, I've had thousands of contacts with folk from sea level heading to the high elevation resorts or back country than you can imagine. With over 100 nights per winter ski season rentals over 35 years of ownership, I've seen a lot of folk through the place. And that's on top of the summer season tourists where I've had summers with almost every weekend turn-overs. I've had many a trip with sea level pilots who experienced some degree of altitude symptoms upon reaching our back-country airstrips to camp out. Many of them never see 5,000' elevation in their home area flying; they see the higher elevations only on those "once a year" vacation trips to our rocky mountain region. The key to their getting back to feelin' good was to rein in their proposed levels of activity to just hangin' out by the campsite and giving themselves enough time to acclimate. Some of those pilot kinda' learned their lesson and even though FAA regs don't require the use of supplemental oxygen below 12,000' (and a half-hour at that elevation), started to use supplemental oxygen when flying about 7,000' in their cross country flights when their destinations were as low as 5,000' elevation. I've had more than few times over the years where I've loaned my SkyOx cylinder and cannula to out of the area pilots from sea level whose trips to the backcountry were only for a weekend … and not enough time for them to acclimate while here or be in good condition to undertake their return flight to lower elevations.

Again, I'm not trying to "scare" anybody about not coming here. The intent is to point out that this is a pervasive problem that can strike virtually anybody. Being forewarned is the key to knowing what's going on and how to expect to deal with it.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-24-2019 at 05:20 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 09:20 AM

'Glass half-full or glass-half empty' perhaps?

One good thing about these discussions is that it challenges me to look further and I thank you for that. It's easy to fall into wrong thinking. As for the flying, yes I am familiar with those symptoms. One thing that may be interesting is that at above 5000', vision is the 1st thing effected. Dimness and restricted field of view are common. I can recall flying at 10,500' feet at night and thinking that there was a very thin mist layer below; the ground were quite dim. Once I descended, everything brightened up LOL But that vision restriction is not altitude sickness per se.

Here are a couple of links that I found so far... the 8000' level is the most commonly mentioned threshold of issues for this altitude sickness onset.... so that correlates to the aircraft cabin pressure thought. There is a distinction between altitude sickness and acute mountain sickness, which I never knew was a distinction.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179819.php

https://www.uchealth.org/today/2017/...tude-sickness/

Old 03-27-2019, 07:52 PM

7,402 posts, read 12,742,654 times
Hopefully Charlotte, the OP, has had a wonderful time at altitude these past few days, and is beyond being scared by our posts! But the discussion has value. I find that I have less tolerance for high altitudes now than when I was younger. I was hiking on a glacier when I was in my 20s, and I couldn't figure out why my legs felt so heavy. Ha! at 10,000'! Couldn't do that today...Fortunately our retirement property in Idaho is at 2200'! But we'll have to plan our vacations so we don't stay at hotels above the 5000' level.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:

I

I don't fly alot. Of the little times that I have my ears pop and that's it.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
The best approach is to plan on giving yourself ample time and opportunity to acclimate.

So plan on lower levels of activity for a few days when you first arrive at altitude.

If you're feelin' good and can take on normal activity soon after arrival, so be it.

If not, a day or two should be sufficient to adjust … for most people.

But if you're still kinda' logy for a few more days, that wouldn't be unusual, either. Some folk may be more sensitive to their body then others, too.

All depends upon your general physical condition and cardio-vascular system health. Most people who may be under the effects wouldn't know that it could be an issue until they arrive here … of course, folks with impaired lung capacity (emphysema, heavy smokers, etc) should anticipate the likelihood of some difficulty for awhile.

I plan on doing a few trips to each different state. Most of the areas I'm interested in are in the northern parts. I may go further south if possible to avoid more snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming