Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 04:17 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,275,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1corinth13 View Post
and about long commutes we are used to them; my husband drives 45 minutes to work, the nearest mall is over an hour away, nearest police station 30 minutes, there is a wal mart 20 minutes away.
sorry, those aren't "long commutes" by Wyoming measure … that's "local" travel.

Wyoming travel distances are typically measured in "hours of travel" to many destinations. That's in clear weather/road conditions months.

If AK winters are a bit too harsh for your expectations … I can save you a trip Wyoming next month.

You'll not find it much milder here;

in fact, I have friends in Anchorage and points further south who kid me about how much "nicer" their weather is during many days of the winter compared to what we experience in much of Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,412,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

Wyoming travel distances are typically measured in "hours of travel" to many destinations. That's in clear weather/road conditions months.

If AK winters are a bit too harsh for your expectations … I can save you a trip Wyoming next month.

in fact, I have friends in Anchorage and points further south who kid me about how much "nicer" their weather is during many days of the winter compared to what we experience in much of Wyoming.
It was always warmer in Thermopolis than Manley.

Well they aren't going to Wyo either - MO is their next stop:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/misso...l#post53676908

Old 11-27-2018, 06:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,270,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

I'd have to disagree to a point, Sunsprit. I lived in Anchorage for about 3 years and loved it, but while the winters weren't "colder" than Wyoming's, they were much darker, which made it feel colder. Even at midday the Sun would barely peek above the southern horizon, not enough solar power to warm your car, let alone enough to warm your body. Alaska also has much higher humidity, often seen on cold days as "ice fog" -- ice crystals suspended in the air that stick to anything they come in contact with. While I see runners around here nearly every day in shorts, you'd never see that during Alaska winters -- not enough solar heating. The darkness was the hardest thing to live with during Alaska's winters. It made it feel colder. Our wind does that to some extent, but in much of Wyoming wind isn't a daily event. Even when it is windy, when you go to your car during most daylight hours, the interior feels warmish, unlike how it feels when it's dark or nearly dark.

I know the wind can be persistent in Cheyenne and most of Wyoming's southern corridor, and it's not unusual in most parts of the state, but our sunshine and dry air more than makes up for most of that. I grew up in Iowa and still have family there. I'd take Wyoming's winters over the upper midwest's in a heartbeat. Our lows can get pretty low at night, but our days usually feel much warmer.

You're welcome to disagree, but that's my opinion. I don't think Wyoming has the best weather in the country, but it's far from the worst.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,275,517 times
no disagreement here, WyoNewk …

per my original post: "You'll not find it much milder here"

while the "uncomfortable" factor manifests itself in differing ways between AK and WY climates … one with more humidity and less daylight vs the attributes of WY weather with a longer sunshine day …

the bottom line is that for the OP who might look upon AK weather as a bit too extreme for their comfort … they'll not get much respite living in Wyoming's 5-6 month winters.

PS: Mrs Sun grew up in WI, and she has told me for years that our WY winters here are worse. She describes how the WI snow built up through the winter months and the activities routine were pretty much settled in for the winter … while dreary and humid, it was easier for her to deal with than the windy conditions here in the cold. Such is life … we all react differently in these conditions. From her description, I'd likely not be happy to deal with a WI winter … but WY suits me just fine.

Last edited by sunsprit; 11-27-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 11-28-2018, 09:26 AM

37 posts, read 44,992 times
Sunsprit I am surprised about those drive times. In Texas we measure distance that way as well but definitely not to that extent. Wyoming is much more vast than I imagined.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:28 AM

OneDawg YES we are going to MO as well. Our family is super excited about it. Next month we are taking a two week trip up through Arkansas, Missouri cut over through Kansas up to Casper then back down to Texas. The purpose of this trip is to let our kiddos see what snow is like as well as look around and see what areas we enjoy. My husbands top pick for relocations is Wyoming mine happens to be Missouri.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM

WyoNewk yes, the light times in Alaska is another one of the big contributing factors as to ruling out that state. I don't know how well me or my moody teen would do in that climate.

Also, it sounds like the winters in Wyoming are much tougher than I expected as well. My husband is used to the snow he grew up around it was deployed to Kosovo in the army and had to sleep in it. Me and the children we have only ever been to Texas and lived in England for a year. So I appreciate everyone's input. I am excited about this new adventure in our lives and don't want to jump in blindly.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:53 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,412,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1corinth13 View Post
OneDawg YES we are going to MO as well. Our family is super excited about it. Next month we are taking a two week trip up through Arkansas, Missouri cut over through Kansas up to Casper then back down to Texas. The purpose of this trip is to let our kiddos see what snow is like as well as look around and see what areas we enjoy. My husbands top pick for relocations is Wyoming mine happens to be Missouri.
Two weeks doesn't give you much time to look around.
Watch out for those snowstorms. Keep a bag of goodies handy in case you get snowbound on I70/80 someplace - blankets, extra socks, mittens, a folding shovel, kitty litter, bottled water, snacks, extra battery for the cell phones. And if you are in Wyoming - do not drive around the I25 barricades.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:42 PM

992 posts, read 2,376,481 times
Default Give it a lot of thought

We are from Texas. Family of 6, living in Powell. First of all, most people dislike Texans. Get those plates changed ASAP, and by the way, its about 4 times what it costs in Texas. It cost me abouy 50 bucks to register my vehicle in Texas and abouy 200 here. With 4 vehicles, I had to do it in spurts.
Groceries are a lot more expensive.
I'm still paying 3.00 a gallon of gas. My family in Texas is paying 1.80
My kids were way ahead when they started school here.
It's cold as hell. Been here 4 years and I am still not used to it.
I have to drive an hour and a half for the doctor and dentist and orthodontist. Oh, and Costco.
Utilities are high.
Rent is high.
Small town? People have been here since dirt was new so many of them don't like/want outsiders. It can be very cold.
It can be terribly isolating. Wages are low.
Certain families and religions run things in towns. That was an eye opener for me.
Good food is impossible to find. I found one good place in Cody.
The summers are very nice.
Winters are long.
The wind never stops.
Don't speed.
There are a lot of bars.
People buy beer early in the morning and early on Sundays, unlike until after noon in Texas. Take a vitamin D supplement.
PM me if you would like.
All the best,
Crazy mom of now 4.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:06 PM

789 posts, read 1,747,084 times
Crazymomof4 - appreciate your forthright description of a small town in Wyoming which could be arguably applied to several others in the state as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming