Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 AM

48 posts, read 197,514 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving from Tulsa and Cheyenne & Casper were on our lists. They seen less expensive. I'm a credit manager and also teach as an adjunct at a local college. So I would be looking for similar work. Our son lives in Co Springs and we wanted to be close to him. So we were considering Pueblo also. Everything else seems very expensive. Had thoughts of Grand Junction, Montross, Durango as West side options. What are the pluses and minuses for Casper and Cheyene vs GJ, Montross, Durango, Pueblo?? I'm sure Casper and West Slope cities would be a 5 - 6 hour drive to Co Springs.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 10:41 AM

18,008 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Casper is too windy. Cheyenne is great and it's closer to the Springs.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:00 AM

48 posts, read 197,514 times
Is there much to do there in Cheyenne? How's the housing prices?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa Guy View Post
We are looking at moving from Tulsa and Cheyenne & Casper were on our lists. They seen less expensive. I'm a credit manager and also teach as an adjunct at a local college. So I would be looking for similar work. Our son lives in Co Springs and we wanted to be close to him. So we were considering Pueblo also. Everything else seems very expensive. Had thoughts of Grand Junction, Montross, Durango as West side options. What are the pluses and minuses for Casper and Cheyene vs GJ, Montross, Durango, Pueblo?? I'm sure Casper and West Slope cities would be a 5 - 6 hour drive to Co Springs.
Thanks
Short and Sweet - Wyoming is soooo much more colder than Colorado and the wind never seems to quit in Wyoming. Take a winter trip to both states and see for yourself.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:50 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,606 times
I LUVNM always gets right to the point and gives the info! I also heard Wyoming could be barren in places ... is that true?

Old 12-13-2006, 06:13 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
I was raised in Wyoming, so I can tell you that, yes, the wind never seems to cease to blow, in the majority of the state. Cheyenne is windy; personally, I've never been there, when the wind wasn't blowing. Now, that doesn't mean that the wind is always gale strength, in the state! It varies, from area to area, season to season, and day to day. Sometimes, you get some pretty fierce wind, other times, it slows down to a breeze. And, during the winter, you can get schinook(sp?) winds, which are warm, and can bring up the temperature, quite quickly, even to the point of melting the snow on the ground. But, unless you have something against wind, I wouldn't let that stop you from moving there, if Wyoming was of an interest to you.

Yes, parts of Wyoming are, indeed, barren, much of it around the center of the state. And, that stretch on I-80, from about Rawlins to Evanston, is a little on the bleak side. However, much of Wyoming is very nice, albeit, cold in the wintertime! The western side of Wyoming is beautiful, particularly around Jackson Hole, and down the Snake River Canyon, through Star Valley. And, there are many other areas in the state that are also very nice, both the landscape, and the people! I did not live in the Casper or Cheyenne areas, (I lived in Star Valley, and in Pavillion, which is more in the center of the state, not far from Riverton), though I have been to both, frequently. They both seemed okay to me, but, unfortunately, I cannot give you specifics. Hopefully, someone else on this thread can give you more particulars there. I will say, that based on my research of the Pueblo, CO area, (my husband and I have been considering that area, also), as opposed to the current status of Wyoming, you may have better luck in finding a job. And, the weather does appear to be milder than Wyoming.

I love Wyoming,don't get me wrong, (it will always have a special place in my heart), and if we had enough money, and we could find a job with good pay, we would still consider moving back, even with the cold winters. But, there is reason why the state population has stayed at around 500,000 for so long. Not too many people want to deal with the wind and the cold weather, and, the lack of "citiyfied" things, and it's not easy to find a good-paying job. And, at least from my research, housing seems to be higher, in general, in WY as opposed to CO. Just my two cents worth.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:39 PM

49 posts, read 305,235 times
Having lived in northeastern Colorado for 48 years and in southeastern Wyoming for only 2 years, these specific regions of each state are very comparable to one another, and pertaining to terrain.

Wyoming is cooler than Colorado during all seasons, and usually with about/at least a 15-20 degree difference. Not always a bad thing, however, and on those days when it might be 100 degrees in Colorado during the summer, and only around 80 in Wyoming. Both areas in both states mentioned here are WINDY. However, in Colorado it seemed that the wind would begin upon sunrise, and die-down around sunset. In Wyoming the wind can/does blow all day long/non-stop for days.

One big difference I’ve noticed between the two states, (and regarding only the area of WY which I reside), to acquire any kind of discount services and or stores/special medical care/particular amenities, in Wyoming a major driving distance is required In Colorado, towns/cities of substance are much much closer to one another, and or, the truly isolated areas in Colorado, aren’t as far away from the communities that have everything a person might need, and as it is in Wyoming. As far as I can tell so far, most every city/town in Wyoming is located, at the very least, a half-hour away from its neighboring community.

One thing I find much more favorable about Wyoming, and when compared to the circumstances in Colorado nowadays, there’s far less people/crowds/traffic to contend with in WY, and which makes the communities and areas in Wyoming a much more pleasant and less stressful place to live, and so than anywhere in the state of Colorado. And even though real estate prices in WY have sky-rocketed within the past year, they are still much more reasonable than what can be found anywhere in the state of Colorado, also.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:52 PM

476 posts, read 2,318,373 times
My neighbor is from Jackson Hole and it really is a nice place but it is COLD and that is why he left. He said it would often drop to the minus teens to minus twenties at night and even lower. But to be fair, he hates New Mexico and the desert so he is moving to the mountains of North Carolina but I told him I am not so sure he will like that either. My ex is from there and I dreaded going there with all that humidity and stale air. They dont call it the Smokies for nothing!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:39 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,395 times
Default Casper/Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Casper is too windy. Cheyenne is great and it's closer to the Springs.
Not sure what you mean about Casper being windier than Cheyenne. What Springs?

Old 12-15-2006, 10:45 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,395 times
Default jobs in Wyoming

I'm not sure what Celticlady1 meant about not being able to find good paying jobs here. If you want a good paying job here come and get one - they are everywhere. For goodness sakes - my high school age son has a part time job making $12.50/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming