Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,068,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Ain't going to happen. My knee is hurting, think it's going to snow, hard.
LOL

It was nice today and yesterday, I can't believe it almost felt like summer....
But you are right, a storm is a comin... and it is supposed to cool down again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 04:38 PM

471 posts, read 1,512,427 times
It is so beautiful out today! Hello sunshine...

Sorry it's taken me a bit to report back about that gardening class... Emeraldsky has been busy with her teaching ambition....

Here are some cool tips I learned:

1. instead of using small rocks to line the bottom of your containers, use those annoying packing peanuts - funny huh, the master gardener (advanced master gardener) insisted they resist fungus and disease and all, and of course are much lighter to whisk about when a frost or storm sneaks up on us

2. she recommended the new round baby carrots (1/2 in long, genetically engineered) to grow instead of the regular long ones (you can find them at Home Depot here in Gillette someone said, probably other places too) because of the clay soil here, you won't have to dig as far down. With carrot seeds she said you just scatter them about (they are so tiny), put a tiny bit of soil on top, and pluck them up (thin out) as you see the green tips so they are better spaced (leaving in the ones you want). She said that was the easy way. And not to start them ahead of time in pots.

3. as far as that clay soil goes, she agreed with all of you talking about those raised beds (examples at the community garden) and recommended several times a book called Square Foot Gardening (you can get it at the library with a video). She talked a lot about the soil. Said to mix it up with compost and go about 8 inches deep. And don't compact the soil.

4. And then lastly I thought there were good ideas about protecting the plants. Since our weather is un-pre-dict-able. Some people cut the bottoms off the plastic milk jugs, stick that around the plants (until they are not so tender, this is usually for the transplants started in pots, need to do this about a month with the transplants) and when the frost comes, they put the cap on. Cool huh? Or around tomato plant cages you can cut out the bottom of a plastic grocery bag, work it around the cage, and when it gets frosty put another in reverse on the top and clip with clothespins.

They said the growing season here is about 120 days, and you learn to play the game here in WY with the weather. It was interesting. Oh, and you can call to talk to a Master Gardener at any time for free, and they make free house calls because they accumulate service time for their certification. So they'll come out and help you out, or you can bring specimens in. Very helpful people.

Happy gardening everyone!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,791,884 times
Square Foot Gardening is a great book loaded with excellent advice.

I use to grow the small carrots when I had a garden. I would mix radish seeds with the carrot seeds and sow in a row very lightly covered like you said. The radish seeds will sprout and begin to grow much sooner than the carrots - marking the row. About the time you pull the radishes to eat - the carrots will be showing themselves. They are sooo good.

I don't think I have mentioned my off the ground bed. It has four metal pipes set in the ground - a sheet of heavy metal mesh laid on top of the pipes. A wood frame is built around the edges. Some old carpet was laid on top of the mesh and good soil filled the box. It is really nice being waist high you don't have to bend over!!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,207,533 times
If you live from Sheridan, South and East. Don't plant your garden just yet. Figure "Who flung the chunk?" about Monday or so.

Next week-end. I'm planting mine in tubs again like I did last year. Only this year, I'm locating them in a different place for more sunlight.

Last year, I planned on morning light as the main stay. Boy did that fizzle. This year I'm planning for as much light as I can get. haha But I'll have to water more because they'll be protected from the elements which means they'll also be protected from rain a little more.

Don't put your snow shovels away, just yet. Next weekend is soon enough.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:25 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,145,426 times
I was always told to wait until after Mother's Day...but I am never patient enough. I have hyacinths now. The crocuses took a beating with last week's foot of snow we received. Tulips and daffodils are starting to sprout as well.

But...knowing my luck - or lack thereof - I am taking my newfound manual driving skills and the Jeep across the state - and it's washed More than likely, it will dump a couple of feet of snow

Old 04-18-2008, 10:35 PM

Around here, if you wait until after mothers day, you'll only get a couple mators and one cuke about an inch long.

Got to go with your gut feeling and go for the gusto. Worst case, you'll buy more plants and plant the day after the hard freeze for a second time.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:43 PM

471 posts, read 1,512,427 times
I'm planning for next weekend myself. Carrots in a tub, not sure where to put the zucchini plant I want to try (tub or ground??) and roma or cherry tomatoes in a larger tub. Makes me hungry for fresh veggies and zucchini bread just thinking about it.

And lots of petunias of course.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:54 PM

You can't eat petunias, what are you thinking?

Old 04-19-2008, 04:52 PM

330 posts, read 1,099,443 times
Winter...summer? Is there really any difference here in beautiful Wyoming???? LOL

I found some glass wasp traps last summer and they work GREAT!!!! You just fill with colored water, or pop, or the kids' leftover kool-aid or whatever.....they fly in through the bottom, and can't find their way out so they drown in the bottom. I only caught wasps (with the exception of a couple of stupid flys), but never any bees. It's something to look into anyway.

You guys have skeeters??? The wind blows so much here in Casper that I can't remember seeing any skeeters last summer! Well, down by the river...but I really didn't have much problem at my house.

I'd have to say we have ONE more snow. The leaves have to have started to bud so the super wet, heavy snow can break a few limbs and down some power lines! Though, I'm secretly wishing that winter is, in fact, officially over.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 PM

21 posts, read 91,402 times
Default question about driving to the Tetons

Hi

I'm going to be driving to the Grand Tetons on May 9th - 13th. I was wondering if you have ever going through 20 and/or 26 on a snowy weekend. I'm driving alone and would like some input on those roads. Powder River and Crowheart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming