Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:46 PM

17 posts, read 22,240 times

Advertisements

So this is how 'they' are going to turn Wyoming into a blue state? I do feel for people who are caught up in war and crisis in other countries but why do we always have to be the savior of the world? And at the expense of my tax dollars. I read the article and several related ones, they will never get off public assistance. I hate to sound like a spoiled whiner but I'm and truly tired of working my ass off to pay for others to sit around and watch tv. I happen to like how quiet and sparse the population here is. I never thought I would be able to survive the winters here but you know, it's not so bad. I guess my next move is going to be Canuck, LOL. The whole country has 36 million people where as there is that many here just in California.

Governor of Wyoming plans to flood state with high risk Conglese refugees at taxpayer expense

I'll be calling the Governor's office on Monday.

Last edited by Dances with WYo; 03-02-2014 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,538,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Girl View Post
Contact Governor Mead's office and let him know you don't want a refugee center in your town for high risk refugees from the Congo. This is no joke! The students in the UW Law program are currently studying all of the towns in WY to determine where the best location for the center will be and the center is expected to be ready in one year. While our dumb governor believes he can control how many refugees are sent to WY, it’s not true. Other states have been sent far more than they ever expected. Even a few hundred, all sent to one town, will have devastating consequences on communities social services and rental rates. WY doesn’t have a city/town large enough to absorb the negatives associated with this sort of thing. Please check the link, call the governor’s office, and pass this info on to everyone you know in Wyoming. Send it via email and post it on your Facebook pages.

Former child soldier wants Wyoming refugee office - SFGate

Send them to Minnesota, people there are more welcoming and less scared of refugees.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM

836 posts, read 1,665,163 times
What an asinine idea.

Maybe a state with a climate closer to the Congo's?

I couldn't even find a rental for $1200 in Wyoming last year; where would they live?

Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,631,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
I couldn't even find a rental for $1200 in Wyoming last year; where would they live?
The occupation government and left wing foundations have plenty of money to pay their rent. They have a reputation for paying legal expenses too when these "refugees" are charged with crimes.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,121,353 times
This happens already, although on a smaller scale.

The local McDonalds had a hard time hiring people. They actually pay pretty good, at $9.75 an hour to start, plus differential pay, plus bonus's and such. But they finally run out of local kids wanting an extra buck. So the owner sponsered a dozen people from Bosnia. He brings then into the country, gives them a job, he furnishes housing (3 people to a house, and they are houses, big yard, attached garage) and he furnishes them transportatiion to and from work. The deal is that they have to work for him for 1 year as part of a contract for him sponsering them. All of them speak very good English and are hard workers. Over the years he has had several of them stay with McDonalds and become Managers. He's had several of them go on to bigger and better things. NONE of them have become a strain on society.

One year he sponsered Filipeano's, then a few years later he sponsered Bosnian's, etc.

For sponsered programs like that, these folks have to come into the US and work for the sponser for 1 year before they can apply for licensing for a trade they had back home. Some of the people brought in to work at McDonalds are Nurses, Architects, etc... They have to work for the Sponser for one year and then they are allowed to pursue their trade.

A company I used to work for did the same thing and it was kind of funny. We built wire harness and fiber optics for robotics. One of the guys on the assembly line, soldering wires, was a Doctor prior to leaving his home country.

The Government decides where these folks will be distributed in the US. For instance, when my company hired the group of 12, there were actually approximately 100 brought over. 12 went to Tampa, 12 went to Boston, 12 went to Dallas, etc... It wasn't like they dumped 100 in a neighborhood in Tampa.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,631,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

The local McDonalds had a hard time hiring people. They actually pay pretty good, at $9.75 an hour to start, plus differential pay, plus bonus's and such. But they finally run out of local kids wanting an extra buck. So the owner sponsered a dozen people from Bosnia. He brings then into the country, gives them a job, he furnishes housing (3 people to a house, and they are houses, big yard, attached garage) and he furnishes them transportatiion to and from work. The deal is that they have to work for him for 1 year as part of a contract for him sponsering them. All of them speak very good English and are hard workers. Over the years he has had several of them stay with McDonalds and become Managers. He's had several of them go on to bigger and better things. NONE of them have become a strain on society.

One year he sponsered Filipeano's, then a few years later he sponsered Bosnian's, etc.

For sponsered programs like that, these folks have to come into the US and work for the sponser for 1 year before they can apply for licensing for a trade they had back home. Some of the people brought in to work at McDonalds are Nurses, Architects, etc... They have to work for the Sponser for one year and then they are allowed to pursue their trade.

A company I used to work for did the same thing and it was kind of funny. We built wire harness and fiber optics for robotics. One of the guys on the assembly line, soldering wires, was a Doctor prior to leaving his home country.

The Government decides where these folks will be distributed in the US. For instance, when my company hired the group of 12, there were actually approximately 100 brought over. 12 went to Tampa, 12 went to Boston, 12 went to Dallas, etc... It wasn't like they dumped 100 in a neighborhood in Tampa.
What you describe is nothing like what we've been discussing. Those people are sponsored by private companies who assume responsibility for them. They pick the best of the best as any intelligent employer would. Some of these people are temporary but are able to prove themselves and remain. Refugees on the other hand need to prove nothing once they have been declared refugees. They are never expelled.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,121,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What you describe is nothing like what we've been discussing. Those people are sponsored by private companies who assume responsibility for them. They pick the best of the best as any intelligent employer would. Some of these people are temporary but are able to prove themselves and remain. Refugees on the other hand need to prove nothing once they have been declared refugees. They are never expelled.
I realize that, but what I was trying to put across is that we do get pockets of Foreign bodys right now. Certainly not on the scale that Mead is looking at doing and I suspect that large groups will come in with no prior skills or education. It can really impact a community. It was mentioned that Wyoming doesn't do this sort of thing yet, but they do, just on a really small scale and selected, as you say.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,262,533 times
Quote:

EH. They do the same thing out here on some of the farms. The owners can't find enough local workers to work in the fields. So they contract out to bring people from Thailand or the Philippines, to work on one year contracts. They work under a work visa and are documented.
Scott

Old 03-03-2014, 08:07 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,394,462 times
Any idea what percentage of Wyoming residents actually support this? Has there been a poll? Does Wyoming have a referendum process to block this?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,995,183 times
Quote:

Is this the same way the National Park Service hires their foreign employees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: