Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:04 PM

802 posts, read 987,802 times

Advertisements

I suggest adding to the list plenty of wool socks, both for inside lounging/sleeping and outside activities. Walmart and hardware stores usually carry them in the work clothes section. Even some carpeted floors get cold. For wind chill, add full face cover to prevent frostbite - maybe even goggles for covering prescription glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There are plenty of race tracks in FL. They will offer 'skid school' for under $100. It is worthwhile training to build your confidence and ability IN CASE you ever lose control (which we hope you don't).

Each vehicle is a bit different, and WY winter driving is not too tough (Crunchy / 'traction' snow vs freezing rain / heavy, wet snow.) You do need to learn to drive via reflector posts on the highway. Many times you can't see the actual road (Blowing snow 1-3' off the ground). but the traction is decent. Wind is a challenge, but tough to prepare for.

Buy your clothes enroute. (KS, CO, NE, WY). There will not be the stuff you need in FL. Thrift stores in the midwest will have great deals for your kids, and they can pick out their Snow-Suits! (Bring extra). A feed / farm store in (KS, CO, NE, WY), will have some nice poly-prop long-johns. bring plenty. Knitted Hats and scarfs too. LINED gloves (not knitted) the wind blows right through the knitted ones.
Overshoes / rubber boats are not a high priority, as the snow is dry (for the most part). Warm boots (or extra 'tall' socks) are a good idea for the kids that prefer Outdoors to indoors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,175,991 times
And if you have pets, don't forget that cold bothers them too.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,270,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
And if you have pets, don't forget that cold bothers them too.
LOL, Classic!
Scott

Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,234,447 times
The most importing thing to do for winter driving in Wyoming is to get a set of good snow and ice tires. If you have a truck, Studded Grabber AT2's are great and for a car, studded firestone winterforce tires are great. Its better to have 2 sets of tires, one for winter and one for summer, but many people use their snow tires year round.
The second thing to do is to SLOW DOWN.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:40 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,688,048 times
Nah. Just get a four-wheel-drive SUV. Then you can drive as fast as you want. No problems. (just kidding)

Actually, the best way to learn is to find a big, clear parking lot that is covered with ice and snow, and practice things like stopping, starting up, and turning, and get a feel for how the car reacts. Once you have a feel for that, then you're ready for some training.

Also, these folks might be worth talking to.
Winter and Slick Roads Clinics | MasterDrive

Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 5,010 times
Thanks so much for all the great tips! It'll be a huge adjustment, but we're excited for something new

Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,688,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Excellent point! Ice is pretty slippery if you are not paying attention.
It can be pretty slippery even when you ARE paying attention.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,838 posts, read 58,425,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
It can be pretty slippery even when you ARE paying attention.
but... I never had to wear Crampons when living and working in WY. They are a necessity in my current 'mild' climate// fraught with ice storms.. Might what to bring a set of flea market FL golf shoes if you think it will be a problem. You can always 'donate' them if you don't use them.. But... if you are tight on space, don't bother.

Don't forget the socks! THICK socks! Multiple layers of THICK socks

Old 01-20-2014, 02:54 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,751,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Nah. Just get a four-wheel-drive SUV. Then you can drive as fast as you want. No problems. (just kidding)

Actually, the best way to learn is to find a big, clear parking lot that is covered with ice and snow, and practice things like stopping, starting up, and turning, and get a feel for how the car reacts. Once you have a feel for that, then you're ready for some training.

Also, these folks might be worth talking to.
Winter and Slick Roads Clinics | MasterDrive
A huge misconception of those coming from more temperate areas is that a four wheel or all wheel drive vehicle is somehow "safer" than a front wheel drive. While both will get you moving in snow and sometimes even ice better than a two wheel drive vehicle, when it comes to stopping they will absolutely not do a bit better.

In Colorado, when the big influx of Californians took place it was a commonplace sight on I-25 to see a four wheel drive vehicle turned over in the medium. Somehow inexperienced winter drivers frequently believe that they don't need to go slower with an all wheel or four wheel drive vehicle. Sometimes it is a fatal misconception.

P.S. Both of my vehicles are all wheel drive Hondas

Old 03-02-2014, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 22,272 times
I lived in Florida for 16 years and moved here from there. As others mentioned buy your winter clothes HERE, they are different then other parts of the country. You won't believe how brutally cold it can get here with the wind chills. I practically live in my insulated coveralls and I bought heavy winter blankets for my horses. Regular winter gloves don't cut it here, my fingers seem to do the worst. You can seriously be numb in a matter of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming