Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM

28 posts, read 52,789 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, ill be traveling to Yellowstone for my first time ever in about two weeks. Im leaving Pittsburgh and hopefully will make it there in 3 days. Anyways, long story short im just trying to find some must do things.

Obviously I know of Old Faithful, and seeing the wildlife and what not. But what im looking for is good spots to see the sunset, off beat things like the wolf/grizzly discovery center which looks pretty cool. Im a big photographer so im def interested in some great spots I may see wild bear or wolves....

Pretty much anything...Im planning to have 5 days in YS and two in GT....and I wanna do some fishing as well so maybe someone could point out some spots?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,264,711 times
Some of the best spots for sunset and (particularly) sunrise photos are in GTNP. Sunrise seems to always be better because the Tetons will be to the west, but with the smoke we've had drifting in recently from Idaho and other points west, sunsets could also be pretty dramatic. Mosey around on the back roads and you'll find plenty to photograph.

You could probably pick up a book in West Yellowstone with tips on good places for scenics, and it would be really hard for me to tell you how to find some of my favorites. Heck, some I probably couldn't find again! In GTNP Oxbow Bend on the Snake is very popular, as is Schwabachers Landing on a tributary of the Snake. There's a big old barn that's real popular, but I can't think of the name of it, and an old cabin or two that you'll see from the main highway from Yellowstone to Jackson.

In Yellowstone the Mud Pots and Mammoth Hot Springs can be nice early in the morning when the steam is rising off of them. For wildlife I'd ask at the gate when you enter. They're always helpful. It'll be easy finding elk and bison. Be particularly careful this time of year with the bull elk. They'll charge you just for the heck of it if they're in rut. I've seen them go after cars!

I've had my best fishing on the Yellowstone River above the Upper Falls, but that was when I was able to tie some flies to match the hatch. Really knocked 'em dead, every cast. Most all the rivers are Blue Ribbons, so if you can get the right fly you'll do well. I think it's all fly fishing only, catch and release.

Here are a few old pictures.

I think this was on Oxbow Bend looking at Mt. Moran. (Sunrise)

Schwabachers Landing with Tetons, early morning.

(?) Barn with Tetons, I think shot mid-morning.

Mammoth Hot Springs, shot just after sunrise.

Young bull moose off the Moose-Wilson Road. I've seen a lot of moose along that stretch.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,353,515 times
Do NOT reach your arm through the car-window, and feed any bears that come up to it...they WILL sink their teeth into whatever you give them, and quite possibly your hand/arm...and you will draw back a bloody-stump.

Do NOT attempt to walk up to even the most QUIETEST Bison or Moose...

...even the most 'docile' Bison could turn and gore you, or trample you to death...

...and a Moose (especially a female) will likely beat you to death with her hooves.

And bring plenty of bottled-water with you; every time I've 'partaken' of the public water-fountains, I've almost always come down with some bad stomach-flu not long afterwards; people come from all over the world to visit YNP and GTNP and bring their 'bugs' with them.

ENJOY YOUR VISIT !

:: BIG smile....Big smile ::

Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,629,625 times
Although often forgotten amidst the geothermal wonders the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is often called Yellowstone's most spectacular wonder. Access ranges from easy to difficult depending upon what parts the traveler visits but it's something no one forgets. I rate it right up there with Old Faithful.

I've added a neat little book to my links as well.

Grand Canyon | Introduction to Yellowstone

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone Online Tour Yellowstone National Park

http://www.amazon.com/Rangers-Guide-...ds=yellowstone

Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,117,899 times
What is the number one critter that kills or maim's more people than any other? The Bison. I would have thought, Mountain Lion, or Griz, but no, it's the Bison. It is because that most people think the Bison are tame. They are NOT!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,992,251 times
My two favorite spots for wildlife viewing are Hayden Valley and Lamar Valley. Another great view in Yellowstone is Dunraven Pass. I've seen grizzlies and wolves in Hayden Valley and Lamar looks like an American version of the Serengeti with all of the wildlife there. Check this site Yellowstone National Park - Yellowstone National Park for current road closures. If you can, I highly recommend going to Grand Teton National Park. The Gros Ventre Junction has a nice campground with lots of moose, bison, deer, and elk (as others have said, don't approach bison, elk, or moose) and great views of the Tetons. The barn that WyoNewk showed in his thread is in that area. The Grizzly/Wolf Discovery Center is nice as well. I haven't been there in a few years but last time I was there they had "bearproof" containers that they allowed the bears to test. Most didn't make the grade and they had plenty of them on display as well. It's amazing the strength of those animals. The North Entrance has good bighorn sheep habitat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming