Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 11,273 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor in Boulder/Denver and was thinking of moving to Cheyenne. My wife and I love the small town, country style there and think it would be a nice place to raise our new 9 month old son

If we do move there, we would open a new BJJ training center and was wondering what the general hobbies and pass times are for the 18-34 year old crowds around there. (18-34 is our general demographic but certainly not limited to that)

i know we can and have gotten alot of 'static' demographic numbers duirng our market research but im looking for a 'local eye on the street' opinion of having that kind of training available to the cheyenne community

thanks for any/all input as its hard to get a true feel for a strange town from just internet research and a few random visits when ya dont know anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,912 times
Default Stuff to do in Cheyenne

Well..it kind of depends on what it is that you like to do. The norm up here is go to the bars at night...my wife and I have really gotten over all of that and don't really go to the bars anymore, but it is a nice town to live in....there are a few good movie theaters and stuff like that...and Veadawoo state park is only about a 20 mintue drive and there is plenty of hiking, climbing, camping, and riding ATV's (that is if you enjoy that stuff). Talk to a lot of people in the 18-34 age group and they will tell you that there is nothing to do here...and to be honest my wife and I do like to get out of here now and again and go to Boulder/Denver for the day just because there is qutie a bit more to do down that way, but it really is what you make of it. On the other hand if you do decide to move up here and open a school, you can be sure I will be one of the first in line to sign up. There really isn't anywhere around here that teaches BJJ, there is a Judo school and a generalized "karate" school up here. The closest place I found for BJJ was in Boulder (Easton Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and I went there a couple of times but the drive really killed me, and my wife and I just had our first kid so I really don't have time to drive down there now. So I can tell you that if you opened a BJJ school in Cheyenne there is a pretty safe bet that you would have plenty of buisness especialy with all the military in Cheyenne. So I hope I have helped somewhat.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABJJ View Post
Hi,
I'm a Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor in Boulder/Denver and was thinking of moving to Cheyenne. My wife and I love the small town, country style there and think it would be a nice place to raise our new 9 month old son

If we do move there, we would open a new BJJ training center and was wondering what the general hobbies and pass times are for the 18-34 year old crowds around there. (18-34 is our general demographic but certainly not limited to that)

i know we can and have gotten alot of 'static' demographic numbers duirng our market research but im looking for a 'local eye on the street' opinion of having that kind of training available to the cheyenne community

thanks for any/all input as its hard to get a true feel for a strange town from just internet research and a few random visits when ya dont know anyone
Do you hike? do you camp? Are you a good neighbor? Do you get along well with others? I'm not being facitious, I'm just being honest. You should do well with your business, and based on my questions, you should blend in. We don't look on folks as to what they do, the color of their skin, but we do look as to "are they a good neighbor?" "Do they help?" "Can I help them?" When I'm huffin and puffin shoveling snow, do they come out and help? I don't mean shovel snow, but at least come out and say howdy, how ya doing?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:21 PM

9 posts, read 44,084 times
My son is 14. He was in ATA tykwondo for 8 years, is a 2nd degree black belt and 2007 Illinois state champ in three catagories in his age group. When we moved from IL to WY in August he said he ws "burned out" and since there is no ATA school closer than Ft. Collins, CO. we let him quit the martial arts. He is now on the wrestling team at his High School in Burns, WY. If you were to start a school in Cheyenne, I might be able to get our son interesred! I would like to see him back in the martial arts. wolflips2@yahoo.com

Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 AM

39 posts, read 200,619 times
ABJJ are you still around? I'd be curious what you decided to do. I did MMA for a fair number of years down here in TX before the kid came along, and I'm curious what the scene is for MMA in Wyoming. My brother (lives in Wyoming) has transitioned from bar fighting to MMA and loves it, but he does all of his training down in the Longmont area. Regardless, I think the others are right. If you run a no BS, no politics school, I'll bet you'd do well in Cheyenne. Just note that those guys are tough up there, and you'd probably have to kick a few butts to get respect .

Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,824 times
If you do decide to move to Cheyenne, you will have more business than you know what to do with. FE Warren Air Force base is located on the west side of town.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,630 times
I know this thread is old, but did the original poster ever go through with his idea. I currently live in Las Vegas and am moving back to Cheyenne (miss it) and I am studying BJJ here in Vegas and would like to continue there.

If not, are there any new gyms or studios that have opened that offer this?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 12,377 times
Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that there will be a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class offered through the Laramie County Community College starting an January 2009. The instructor is from Easton BJJ (a really good school in boulder/denver). check out the info at wyomingbjj.com!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,630 times
Do you know the course numbers? The catalog does not list them.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 12,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Do you know the course numbers? The catalog does not list them.
The spring catalog with all of the class listings will come out on November 18th. You can go to Laramie County Community College : Home and look for it at that time.

I should also have a direct link to registration on my site Wyoming BJJ when the catalog comes out!

If anyone has any questions you can email me at michaelhresko@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming